Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Virginia

Possible move to Virginia

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

fingers crossed as im driving myself insane guessing things!
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd have a quiet word with the manager and tell him to shush! Announcing to your husband's team that he's leaving for the US when he hasn't even been told what the potential salary would be, nor agreed to a relocation, is odd to say the least.

Odd indeed.
Why would a manager state that if it's not been decided? Bad show.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgette
Just for comparison i live in Hertfordshire which is just outside of London and has some of the most expensive areas in the country to live ( i live in a cheaper bit of it but its still expensive)
You will want to stay away from the "cheaper bits" of almost any US city as those areas tend to have issues that are more likely to turn ugly than in the "cheaper bits" of towns and cities in the UK. Having once driven inadvertently at night through a "police weapons drawn, pursuit and arrest incident" in a low income part of town, myself with my wife and young daughter, I cannot recommend the experience.

"Police were called last night to an apartment complex on Inner City Blvd…." stories are a staple of the local news in the US, and that there is a story worthy of attention usually means that there was gun fire and/ or a body to be reported.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 3rd 2019 at 4:20 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Do you have any experience of the cost of living in the UK and cultural expectations of people moving from the UK?
Except for visiting London for one day only back in 1992 I do not have personal experience, but from what I can gather through the various media UK society is probably the closest to what you can expect to have in US.
As for cultural experience, that is an interesting topic. In most cases expectations need to be adjusted.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
Except for visiting London for one day only back in 1992 I do not have personal experience, but from what I can gather through the various media UK society is probably the closest to what you can expect to have in US.
As for cultural experience, that is an interesting topic. In most cases expectations need to be adjusted.
Thank you.

There are many similarities and many differences between the US and UK, and sometimes I find the smaller differences to be the most jarring. I think it can be easier to accept that things are totally different in a foreign country than to find that things are somewhat familiar but just "slightly "off", it's like having a dream where the world is both familiar and yet unfamiliar at the same time.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
stories are a staple of the local news in the US, and that there is a story worthy of attention usually means that there was gun fire and/ or a body to be reported.
And Florida man gets around...
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I really should wait until I can use a keyboard.

Must be 30 years ago since I went around Virginia, Battlefields tour and I remember we stayed in what I thought was an OK looking area and then walked to the Brewpub.

Got stopped by the Cops who suggested that this was not a good thing to do. Must be much worse now.

So just looking can be deceptive, I would agree that House Prices etc are likely to be a better guide.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, the cop probably meant walking, it probably just looks odd to the locals. They've just built a walking/cycle path combo where I live and the entire place has gone doolally, like the concept of walking is new. I've been able to walk in a circle around my sub division for a while, but now we might actually be allowed to walk outside of it :-)
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a crime issue, he explained why and I was new to the US and did not pick up the clues.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

To Georgette, without getting too personal, if you've been living on less than he'd be earning (take home) state side, and you are within spitting distance of the big smoke in the UK, you will probably be ok, especially if he can argue a good case for being paid at the higher end of the bracket you mentioned in your research. If he is in Management then it would seem likely they'll come back with a recommendation for an L1A Visa - the company will need to employ lawyers to submit the application for them. You'll have a pain the arse form to complete which will ask you questions like, have you ever been involved prostitution (I assumed answering No was more likely to get you in, but who knows), and you'll have to outline the responsibilities of what he does today and what he will be doing in the role. If they go down the L1A route, they'll be looking for lots of descriptions about Directing other people to do the work or having Executive style responsibilities over budgets for example.

As per Pulaski's note, treat it like an entirely foreign country, because it is, they just use some of the same words - assuming you end up taking the leap. The line in Pulp Fiction from Travolta around it being the little things is true, but go in with the right mindset and it can be fun.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robtuck
You'll have a pain the arse form to complete which will ask you questions like, have you ever been involved prostitution

Did I get asked that
Can't remember...
How would they know?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I really should wait until I can use a keyboard.

Must be 30 years ago since I went around Virginia, Battlefields tour and I remember we stayed in what I thought was an OK looking area and then walked to the Brewpub.

Got stopped by the Cops who suggested that this was not a good thing to do. ….
I am not sure what sort of "Brewpub" there would have been in Virginia 30 years ago as the craft beer explosion was still fifteen years away, and bars, meaning "serving alcohol but not meals" are not legal in VA anyway.

I suspect that what you were heading for was more of a roadhouse or honky-tonk than what we would understand today as being a "brewpub".
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Did I get asked that
Can't remember...
How would they know?
There were about 70 similar questions - clearly nobody is going to say yes to the vast majority, but it then becomes an offence if later it is found you lied on your application. I am pretty sure being a member of the Communist party was one of them, but it was a couple of years ago and I maybe adding dramatic effect.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I made the Communist Party one up, but Genocide is on there!
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I think I made the Communist Party one up, but Genocide is on there!
The CP was there when I was doing my visa, many many moons ago!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.