Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Virginia

Possible move to Virginia

Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette
Most of the daycare websites i go on don't show prices you have to get in contact which is annoying but i found some that had prices, 1 was $315 per week for 5 days which would cost around $1350 per month full time but i would only want 3 days. Another i found was $1400 per months full time. We would also consider in home daycare, this is what we currently use in the UK for our daughter anyway (its called a childminder here)
Usually the price is set for full time daycare whether you take your child everyday day or not. Daycares don't often negotiate. You pay for your child to have a place everyday, you pay even if your child is off sick and you pay even if you take your child on vacation.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh really? We pay for sickness and holidays here but most places offer 1-5 days. Is home daycare a bit more flexible?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the daycare websites i go on don't show prices you have to get in contact which is annoying but i found some that had prices, 1 was $315 per week for 5 days which would cost around $1350 per month full time but i would only want 3 days. Another i found was $1400 per months full time. We would also consider in home daycare, this is what we currently use in the UK for our daughter anyway (its called a childminder here)
Unless it says "from …" meaning with state subsidies, I'll guarantee that those are in-home daycare, which literally means in someone's home, not in your home. They are subject to a lower standard of health and safety inspection, and some are very good, with a good set up, and lots of indoor and outdoor toys and play equipment, …. others less so.
Oh really? We pay for sickness and holidays here but most places offer 1-5 days. Is home daycare a bit more flexible?
Where we live there are good daycares that offer selected days/ week at less than the full rate, but I suspect that it depends on supply and demand - if they can fill their maximum capacity with 5-day/wk business why would they contract for say three days and have an empty space for two days?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 12:36 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

ON your budget - I'd add more for car insurance and for your monthly shopping. Bigger ticket bulk items are ok, but small one offs that you buy more regularly soon add up. Car insurance will be very for a year or so - no, forever! It will probably hit the level you have about 12-18 months in maybe.

You have included Healthcare - if your husbands employer is any good, they'll provide for the family under his and their contributions.

When you are searching for the resort style housing developments, most websites like Zillow, Realtor, Trulia etc. will give you crime statistics, local schools, when the houses were built (any house that has been listed will have details, so you can look at houses which are not on the market right now), etc.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
ON your budget - I'd add more for car insurance and for your monthly shopping. Bigger ticket bulk items are ok, but small one offs that you buy more regularly soon add up. Car insurance will be very for a year or so - no, forever! It will probably hit the level you have about 12-18 months in maybe.

You have included Healthcare - if your husbands employer is any good, they'll provide for the family under his and their contributions.

When you are searching for the resort style housing developments, most websites like Zillow, Realtor, Trulia etc. will give you crime statistics, local schools, when the houses were built (any house that has been listed will have details, so you can look at houses which are not on the market right now), etc.
How much more do you think i should add for the insurance? with the shopping i am quite savvy with our weekly food shop budget and rarely pick things up in between shops, but obviously not sure what expiration dates are like over there
I look on Zillow everyday at all the new properties thank you, would you know if the property tax needs to be paid in full or can split over 12 months?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Check on the tax, here the property owner pays and not the renter, so it is included in the rent already.

My first 6 months of car insurance on a Ford Fusion and Ford Escape was $383 per month with a lower level of cover (Leasing meant you have to have a certain minimum above the lowest level).

Family of four and we've struggled, even when watching the spending, to get too much lower than $800 in a month for general shopping. Clearly it is an area you can be more spend thrift on though.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. With the shopping i am quite savvy with our weekly food shop budget and rarely pick things up in between shops, but obviously not sure what expiration dates are like over there. ….
The federal government publishes tables for food budgets, varying by age and by whether you are a careful or extravagant shopper, but they center about $250-$300/person/week, with it being more for children, and the $250/person/week I used should be adequate. Granted it is towards the lower end for a large city, but you'll be fine …. and I have been criticized on BE for using $250 as some people swear they manage on much less.

ETA, I see you used $550 …. yeah, that probably won't work.
I look on Zillow everyday at all the new properties thank you, would you know if the property tax needs to be paid in full or can split over 12 months?
Tenants don't pay property tax at all, it is embedded in the rent and paid by the owner.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 1:30 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Check on the tax, here the property owner pays and not the renter, so it is included in the rent already.

My first 6 months of car insurance on a Ford Fusion and Ford Escape was $383 per month with a lower level of cover (Leasing meant you have to have a certain minimum above the lowest level).

Family of four and we've struggled, even when watching the spending, to get too much lower than $800 in a month for general shopping. Clearly it is an area you can be more spend thrift on though.
That's great advice thank you. So when a property is on Zillow it generally includes the property tax that is show below it?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

On the negotiations - don't be afraid to push for the 2.5 times factor. I had little help when doing mine and went in at 2 x current GBP salary in $ and they bit my hand off :-) Could easily have got the extra 0.5 times salary I think. You live and you learn.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's great advice thank you. So when a property is on Zillow it generally includes the property tax that is show below it?
Can't be definitive, as not living in Virgina, but a quick Google doesn't provide any evidence that you would be paying Tax on top of your rental amount. Certainly the renting websites advise to check but general approach is the rent amount covers that and the property owner is the person responsible for paying the tax. I'd imagine it should be made clear if they are expecting more than just the rent, as it will still be them paying the local authority.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ah that's good that's $400 saved on my budget! I can add a little bit more on the food now lol
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:33 pm

For rents, yes, always. …. See my post above.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah that's good that's $400 saved on my budget! I can add a little bit more on the food now lol
If you do end up moving, you'll need that for the days you hanker for Bourbon biscuits, of all things, and you realise it's $2 a pop for something you used to get for 25p Asda Smart Prices.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:40 pm

If you do end up moving, you'll need that for the days you hanker for Bourbon biscuits, …..
As an expat, the best way to save, and keep to a food budget, is to not buy anything that you "hanker for" from the UK. I could buy Heinz beans, or Hobnobs, or Walker's shortbread, or PG tips, and a number of other British groceries, at my local supermarket but I don't, because they all start at $3+. Yes, $3 for a can of Heinz beans!
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do end up buying PG Tips, usually when I can't find the better British Breakfast Tea Bags- I tried the Walmart cheap ones, Black Tea, it was vile. and I must have a cup of tea from time to time, I cannot shake it. To be fair on the Bourbon's, they are better value than a pack of Chips Ahoy for the kiddie. I have made the full transition to Vegetarian Baked Beans though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.