Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Virginia

Possible move to Virginia

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Yes he is in a management role now, and also on the technical side of things (don't ask me too much his job goes over my head lol) At the moment we both work full time and just about survive, we can afford all bills ect and still eat out every now and again but dont earn enough to save or go on a holiday for example
I would obviously prefer to be in a better situation as we would like to travel around america whilst we are there, but i will also be at home full time with my daughter which is a huge benefit.
We initially see it as a few years but if we get settled and enjoy living there we would stay indefinitely
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgette
Yes they have transferred employees before, they are currently putting together a relocation package and new contract to go over with my husband but they are currently in appraisal month so its slowing things down, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible so he doesn't go into the meeting blind if that makes sense
He needs to go into the meeting fully prepared to talk up the cost of living in the DC area. The cost of rent, the cost of obtaining and running vehicles, and the cost of health insurance and related out of pocket costs would be key things for him to bring up.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is unusual in the UK ti get long holidays so travel is limited.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We initially see it as a few years but if we get settled and enjoy living there we would stay indefinitely
In which case, make sure you get written in to his contract that they'll sponsor his 'green card'.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You mean US?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Does that calculation allow for 5.492% VA state income tax on $100,000?

That said, your number is very close to my $5,500/mth because I assumed that health insurance is deducted in reaching "net pay".
I included both state and federal tax obligation. However, each individual's calculations might be different.

100k salary is not ideal, but the cost of living in that area is different than in big cities like NY or LA.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That's not as true as it used to be, and management often get more than lower grades, Obviously it's worth discussing, but I don't see him being forced to accept, say, 10 or even 15 days pa.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm unclear.
Have they actually made an offer yet?
Or had a meaningful conversation? You say they want him to move...but is that the only statement so far. Nothing more from HR?
I can see you're doing good research but what's coming from the employers side?
No offer made yet, it started with announcing they had opened the office in Washington and that they will probably need some international help. My husband came home and we talked about it. He started asking questions about it to his manager and his manager said he would be the perfect person to go over there. Every week more gets said about it, last week his manager announced to his whole team that he would be the one going to america,
So no, no plan set or anything yet i'm just doing lots of research as i dont want them to think we are definitely going to go and then say no, i want to have as much info as possible
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest to do a simple test. You entire monthly net pay should be close to $5,800. One third of this amount which is $1,900 can be safely used for rent expense. Check out what type of property you can rent in this area.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In which case, make sure you get written in to his contract that they'll sponsor his 'green card'.
Okay good to know thank you
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes this is why i'm asking so many questions, i want to make an excel sheet of all costs so he can say this is what its going to cost me so i need x salary
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
I suggest to do a simple test. You entire monthly net pay should be close to $5,800. One third of this amount which is $1,900 can be safely used for rent expense. Check out what type of property you can rent in this area.
That is a generic bit of advice, but doesn't work that way in large cities and/or those on relatively low income. It also probably won't work well for Georgette as she has a short time horizon, of only three years
Originally Posted by talkto_menow
I included both state and federal tax obligation. However, each individual's calculations might be different.

100k salary is not ideal, but the cost of living in that area is different than in big cities like NY or LA.
Agreed.

Do you have any experience of the cost of living in the UK and cultural expectations of people moving from the UK?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 3rd 2019 at 3:14 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Just for comparison i live in Hertfordshire which is just outside of London and has some of the most expensive areas in the country to live ( i live in a cheaper bit of it but its still expensive)
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the employer, if serious, will give an indication of a baseline offer soon. You'd think there would be some informal discussion by now.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

his manager said he would be the perfect person to go over there. Every week more gets said about it, last week his manager announced to his whole team that he would be the one going to america,
I'd have a quiet word with the manager and tell him to shush! Announcing to your husband's team that he's leaving for the US when he hasn't even been told what the potential salary would be, nor agreed to a relocation, is odd to say the least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.