Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Portland, Oregon, advice on schools and places to live...

Possible move to Portland, Oregon, advice on schools and places to live...

Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Portland, Oregon, advice on schools and places to live...

Assume they would not be subject to cap.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Portland, Oregon, advice on schools and places to live...

Originally Posted by Boiler
Assume they would not be subject to cap.
That's what I had done previously when not mentioning it, but having re-read the thread it isn't 100% clear so thought I'd raise it.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I can't help you with Portland specifics, but I can maybe give you some helpful perspectives in general. We moved to California in 2012 with an 7 and 9 year old. We live near Seattle Washington now.

My company at the time didn't do a lot of international moves, and just gave me a small lump sum to cover relocation - it just about covered flights and some very modest shipping. Apart from that, nothing.

Here's my one piece of key advice - you're coming for an experience, some things are going to be better, some things are going to be not so great. The streets are not paved with gold and you will find some things jarring. Although you can read the road signs and understand the people in the shops, don't think there won't be cultural differences that are just as big as if you had moved to, say, Scandinavia, or Italy. Even in liberal Portland the politics are probably to the right of what you are used to. Stay flexible and open, without too many expectations other than 'it will be different and interesting'.

I mainly frequent the visa and immigration board whee PM's are discouraged, but if you wanted to talk to my wife about stuff, I can put the two if you in direct contact (mod's feel free to remove this bit).

It's a big step and totally normal to feel like this, but you will have an adventure, if nothing else and your kids are young enough to adapt easily.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few more notes on being a H4 visa holder. You already know that you cannot work. Also, you are unable to get a social security number which means you can't ever pass background checks or get your own credit card (you can of course be an authorized user on you husband's card).
Old Sep 6th 2019, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

H4 can get an ITIN
Old Sep 6th 2019, 6:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Just a few more notes on being a H4 visa holder. You already know that you cannot work. Also, you are unable to get a social security number which means you can't ever pass background checks or get your own credit card (you can of course be an authorized user on you husband's card).
Non-resident aliens with an ITIN can usually get cards in their own name.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Non-resident aliens with an ITIN can usually get cards in their own name.
Yes, but it will be a secured credit card rather than a credit card proper: no one will give a credit card to someone without an SSN and without a job, not even in the US! And an ITIN (Individual Tax Payer Identification Number) does not function in the same way as an SSN. It will allow you to open your own bank account (I found the credit unions to be much more accommodating than traditional banks) and to get a debit card etc but that's about it. You also use it to file your (joint) tax returns.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 8:45 pm
Often not so civil...

The myFICO forums have several that are nothing but frequent visitors in the US that have US credit cards.

The one I'm think of is a Brazilian citizen, residing in Brazil, that has a US Amex account.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by civilservant
The myFICO forums have several that are nothing but frequent visitors in the US that have US credit cards.

The one I'm think of is a Brazilian citizen, residing in Brazil, that has a US Amex account.
Doubtful. You can't believe everything you read on forums you know
Old Sep 7th 2019, 4:46 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of perpetuating the fixation on banking matters, I am an E3 Dependent (no SSN, ITIN or anything) and have my own bank account with Bank of America. I didn't ask for one, was just expecting to be added to my husband's, but was offered it so took it.

OP, sorry I don't know Portland, we've just recently moved to Seattle, but I agree you need to work out at least the healthcare situation with your husband's employer as that salary does sound a bit tight for a family. Adventure/experience is all well and good but you need to be practical too. (I'll be looking for NFP work too once my EAD is approved, but thankfully have a corporate husband to live off.)
Old Sep 7th 2019, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

How do you file taxes without an ITIN?
Old Sep 7th 2019, 6:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
How do you file taxes without an ITIN?
My point was, I was allowed to open a bank account in my own name without any of these things.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

And my point was how do you pay taxes without an ITIN. I also opened a bank account without any of those things (I got the ITIN later) but not all banks will allow you to open an account without one, which is why I went to a credit union as they cater to low income/undocumented/cash workers. And while you can have a bank account and a debit card without a job, ITIN or SSN, they won't give you a proper credit card.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 7:10 pm
Auntie Fa

You're right, one needs an SSN or ITIN to file.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 3:15 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
You're right, one needs an SSN or ITIN to file.
And if you are not eligible for an SSN you apply for the ITIN when filing the first tax return for which it is required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.