Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Old May 25th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Here in Houston, yes it does appear to be cheaper to buy then rent.

We bought our home, after a 3 or so month furnished flat provided by hubby's company.

We are a bit different as I'm the American and hubby is the Brit, so we came over with green card in his hand. We did not consider renting. In your case, the advice from the others is quite solid.

I've lived all over the US in my former life. Houston, I find, is a city that you really do need to try to live closer to your work than just seeing a map and deciding how far by the crow flies to get work. In Las Vegas, I commuted 30 miles and it took me about 40 minutes. Here, it depends. During the day that 30 miles it can take 40 minutes as its flowing highway. During rush hour, anything more goes. Once you are here, you'll know the ways around traffic and times to avoid.

Hubby lives 7 miles from work and it takes him 10 minutes. And houses in our area are selling within days. I've had two realtors knock on my door in just this week alone. (Rumor is Exxon folks are moving from Katy closer to Woodlands...?) We are just north of the Energy Corridor. So housing sales really depend on the area and the timing.

As for renting and selling/buying, there is also the number of expats leaving at the end of a school year, so housing can be easier to find in April/May and through the summer. (Which is a miserable time to move here...meaning moving in at over 100 degrees and humidity. Whew!)

Your husband's work is in a nice area of town. Closeby, the Rice Univ area is leafy, has sidewalks and lovely homes. The museum district is nice as well. For larger homes (for a family) - Bellaire.

I agree with the recent poster for Pearland. Its affordable and the commute isn't so terrible. Sugarland is possible too, with taking the 59 into town. Missouri City is as well (look at Sienna Plantation). Even Cinco South can get you onto the Westpark Tollway. Fulshear is pushing it but its very reasonable out there.

You will find something in your budget and within your desires. Lots to choose from here.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that info - much appreciated. Are there any particualrly nice areas of Pearland / Sugarland and Katy, also conversely any no-go areas?

Thanks again
Old May 30th 2012, 1:25 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Thanks for that info - much appreciated. Are there any particualrly nice areas of Pearland / Sugarland and Katy, also conversely any no-go areas?

Thanks again
The West side of Pearland is newer and the largest sub-division is Shadow Creek Ranch. This is where they built the town center and you have lots of choice of shops and restaurants. However you pay for that with very busy traffic on the weekends - you would have easiest access to the 288 from this side.

We are on the East side, which is 'Old Pearland' - but in a new sub-division. We stay just off of the Pearland Parkway which has easy access to the beltway and is lot quieter traffic wise.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Also, any thoughts good or bad about Cinco Ranch?
Old May 31st 2012, 3:11 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Cinco is huge! If you live in cinco, you get to use any shared facilities in cinco. There are lots of pools and a beach club with an artificial beach. Some of the bits that are called cinco though are to my mind, nearly fulshear. It stretches forever and they are constantly expanding it. I'd keep your commute in mind as the longer it takes you to get to the freeway, the longer it takes you to get to work. Some bits of Katy you'll find more convenient than others.

In response to your other question, I can't think of any no go areas in Katy. Different areas will offer you different things. Some may have area pools, splash pads, tennis courts, lakes etc, others may not. Some are older houses, some newer. Some are gated, others not. There's a huge range of options but if you are renting obviously you are restricted to what's avaliable at the time.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Weeze, you're a mine of information! Well, hubby has accepted the job so here we come. SO scared!
Old May 31st 2012, 4:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

You are very welcome. If you want more info let me know. Also, if you want to know about kiddy things to do, I should be able to help.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, we will certainly be interested in that - got a 4 and 6 year old to entertain!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

campermad is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have accepted a job in Houston, I will move in September and family will follow in January.

Scared is not the word, I have a 3 and 5 old boys and really worry about them.

See you all there..
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Selling a place will cost you 6% to the realtor plus any other costs, so not very cheap unless you plan to keep the house for 4-5 years plus. So without greencards, might not be sensible. Also you don't know the area that well, nor how the lifestyle there you'll want to have - pool, decks, screened in decks, cost of heating/cooling etc.

Rent for the first year is your best bet.
This is good advice.

I don't know if you've been to Houston before, but be prepared for some 100°+ (40° C) days. It isn't for everyone.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by campermad
I also have accepted a job in Houston, I will move in September and family will follow in January.

Scared is not the word, I have a 3 and 5 old boys and really worry about them.

See you all there..
Welcome Campermad! We have a 3 year old too.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Weeze, thank you for the welcome. I have read with great interest and often with a smile the comments that yourself and Mr Weeze have posted. Congrats on the recent addition too!

Just out of interest what made you choose Katy over Sugarland? It is just that Sugarland has been recommended to me by some friends that have lived there. All the threads I find on here appear to end in a fight between people living in each area and processing that theirs is best. It obviously has to be a nice environment for my our boys to grow up in first and foremost.

We are also struggling with schooling and the zone things, part of my deal is that the children will get schools fees paid if we choose to go down the private route, not many to choose from though.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but would appreciate any constructive feedback.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

It's ok, you can hiijack my thread! I am interested in Pearland and Sugarland too although I much prefer the look of Katy / Cinco Ranch but it might give my hubby a horrible commute, so we'll have to be practical . Thoughts anyone on those areas?

Alos Campermad, I will be employing Weeze and family as out Houston special advisors as they know everything there is to know!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Parisangel, Thanks for the understanding

Good choice on the employees too! Mr and Mrs Weeze will demand high dollar as they will be most sort after!

What date are you planning the move for Parisangel?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi - I know, it's going to take all our relocation allowance lol!

We are waiting for hubby's H1B visa to be processed, he's a Genetic Scientist and will be working at Baylor College of Medecine in Houston. We're anticipating around September, he'll probably have to come out first and find us somewhere to live. We're doing this ourselves so no lovely inter company relcation package and assistance for us!!

Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.