Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible job in Cleveland, OH

Possible job in Cleveland, OH

Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible job in Cleveland, OH

Hubby is being considered for a job in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland. I do not want to go there as I have had enough of the northern winters as we moved from MA and I love it here in CO. If there is anyone that lives in Cleveland give me some info on the area both good and bad. We have a college age son and dogs, so it would have to be pretty good out there to make me want to move again.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible job in Cleveland, OH

Lots of good and bad. What do you like and dislike? What do you do for fun? What kind of stuff do you look in a place? Like housing, sports, entertainment, etc. Where on the East Side is the job?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Hubby is being considered for a job in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland. I do not want to go there as I have had enough of the northern winters as we moved from MA and I love it here in CO. If there is anyone that lives in Cleveland give me some info on the area both good and bad. We have a college age son and dogs, so it would have to be pretty good out there to make me want to move again.
Which suburb? There are some very nice places there - Pepper Pike, Hunting Valley, Gates Mills...

I live in Cleveland Heights, one of the so-called inner ring eastern suburbs. What kind of housing are you looking for? Big place, some land? There are a lot of colleges around. What is your son interested in?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Let me see.......you compalin about Northern Winters, but, you live in Colorado?????

What the hell??????

By the way, I'm in South Fork, CO, right now.

Jim
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the company is around Highland Heights, just off 271. Son is into graphic design so we would need a decent community college. Where we are in a SW suburb of Denver, the winters aren't too bad, it's the mountains that get a lot of snow. Maybe get a few inches here then it's gone in a couple of days until the next time. I can live with that, but not snow after snow and it doesn't disappear until spring like MA. Had enough of that crap. Need decent safe walking trails because of the dogs. We are not really into sports, either watching or taking part. Nice newish 4 bed house in a good suburb with decent supermarkets and other shopping would maybe suit the requirements. Any flights to the UK from the local airport? Thanks for the previous replies.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Any flights to the UK from the local airport? Thanks for the previous replies.
Try Continental Airlines.

Jim
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Probably stay where you are. There's lots to like about Cleveland but Nov/Dec-Apr is snow time and the East side gets a lot. Once it gets going it will be on the ground for weeks/months. Hopkins has 1 direct flight part of the year to the UK, the rest go via other cities. Good shopping and nice houses can be had and most of your requirements can be met but I think the snow may kill it for you. It can be really awful, we were stuck in the house for 3 days earlier this year and usually there are a number of days that we have difficulty getting out.

Edit: Also, from what I understand there is a pretty good art and design college here, Virginia Marti College of Art and Design, who have good graphic design courses and degrees. www.vmcad.edu

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Jul 29th 2009 at 12:27 am.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the company is around Highland Heights, just off 271. Son is into graphic design so we would need a decent community college. Where we are in a SW suburb of Denver, the winters aren't too bad, it's the mountains that get a lot of snow. Maybe get a few inches here then it's gone in a couple of days until the next time. I can live with that, but not snow after snow and it doesn't disappear until spring like MA. Had enough of that crap. Need decent safe walking trails because of the dogs. We are not really into sports, either watching or taking part. Nice newish 4 bed house in a good suburb with decent supermarkets and other shopping would maybe suit the requirements. Any flights to the UK from the local airport? Thanks for the previous replies.
I like the Cleveland area a lot, and I'm sure you could find a place to live that would fit your requirements. But we do get a fair bit of snow, esp. on the east side. There are usually 2 or 3 big snowfalls every season. It's not so bad that I would consider moving away, though (grew up in Toronto so I'm used to it). Continental has had direct service from CLE to London off and on... I don't know what the status of that flight is right now.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Continental has had direct service from CLE to London off and on... I don't know what the status of that flight is right now.
On but stopping early. It used to be mid May-mid October but I believe they are stopping in early September this year.