Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Kittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really nice
Default Re: Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Originally Posted by Boiler
I can remember when Ilford was quite nice.

What was the name of that disco at the top of the building.
Its not that bad! I live in Gants Hill, not far from good old Faces nightclub I think you may be thinking about either the Penthouse that changed to room at the top or the Ilford Palace! only ever went to the Palace. good times
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember when Ilford was quite nice.

What was the name of that disco at the top of the building.
Room at the Top
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my hi-fi system in Ilford when I was 18. It was really good and lasted me until I moved here and gave it to my brother.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

If it were me ( and it was once ) my absolute main focus would be researching whatever biz you are thinking about getting into 'till you are blue in the face - and then researching some more - a lot more.
It's going to be every bit as hard as buying and running a biz in the UK with all the added stuff - different tax laws, labor laws,cultural differences etc, etc, etc.

I can't stress this enough IT WILL BE A LOT HARDER THAN STARTING A BIZ IN THE UK.

Sorry to be a downer but it scares the S**t out of me when I hear people are thinking about gambling, possibly, thier life savings for the "American Dream" so to speak.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Kittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishman43
If it were me ( and it was once ) my absolute main focus would be researching whatever biz you are thinking about getting into 'till you are blue in the face - and then researching some more - a lot more.
It's going to be every bit as hard as buying and running a biz in the UK with all the added stuff - different tax laws, labor laws,cultural differences etc, etc, etc.

I can't stress this enough IT WILL BE A LOT HARDER THAN STARTING A BIZ IN THE UK.

Sorry to be a downer but it scares the S**t out of me when I hear people are thinking about gambling, possibly, thier life savings for the "American Dream" so to speak.
I totally agree Englishman, My husband wanted to buy a Biz a few years ago we even looked at Bisinesses in Florida, I managed to talk him out of it as it would have meant giving up everything we had worked so hard for and selling our house, which i wasn't keen on, but reality hit home when i explained if it didn't work what would we be left with!!!! Now we have our Green cards and are making the move next year Good luck KeithJulie, I do hope it all works out for you.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Room at the Top
That is the one!

It has been a very long time...
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittenheels66
We have been visiting Florida for over 10 years now If it wasn't for the british tourists the Floridian economy would be in a worse state.
In fairness I didn't say that British tourists are bad for the local economy, just that they can be a pain in the arse.

Similarly, having a colonoscopy is good for my bowel health, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. (nice pain in the arse link, don't you think!)
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
In fairness I didn't say that British tourists are bad for the local economy, just that they can be a pain in the arse.

Similarly, having a colonoscopy is good for my bowel health, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. (nice pain in the arse link, don't you think!)
Ok point taken I don't dislike the british however i do dislike british tourists. One of the reasons i have never had a vacation in southern Spain, I know Spain is beautiful but full of Brits

Last edited by Kittenheels66; Jun 25th 2011 at 3:54 pm. Reason: missed out a word
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Ok point taken I don't dislike the british however i do dislike british tourists. One of the reasons i have never had a vacation in southern Spain, I know Spain is beautiful but full of Brits
whats wrong with brits in spain, dont you like seeing the union jack on clothing, with 3 quarter length trousers. oh and football shirts .
wait a minute is this spain or florida were talking about. i'm confused, i'll go away now
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tipex
whats wrong with brits in spain, dont you like seeing the union jack on clothing, with 3 quarter length trousers. oh and football shirts .
wait a minute is this spain or florida were talking about. i'm confused, i'll go away now
well if the cap fits!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

well if the cap fits!
whats your problem missus, youve never seen me wearing none of that,and never will
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tipex
whats your problem missus, youve never seen me wearing none of that,and never will
Husband go away and find your own forum please
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

That is the one!

It has been a very long time...
My places were The Orchard Ballroom in Purley
And the Wimbledon Palais for the wild side
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:39 am
Just Joined

stevieboy1101 is an unknown quantity at this point

OP - I live in Lakeland in the Bridgewater community you mentioned and my 6yr old son goes to Wendell Eatson school. This is his second year there and we are very happy with it. I'm originally from Kent and have been living in the US for almost 11 yrs.

You have to drive to do pretty much anything here. Lakeland has a decent downtown area and we like it here. We also like that we are only half an hour from Disney etc. but far enough away form the tourists. As with all places even in the UK, you get good parts and bad parts of a town, you just need to do some research. Good luck.