Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:49 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are certainly my daughter for sure.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:54 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Hello everyone. This is my first time starting a new thread so please go easy on me, lol.

My question is where can one purchase good tea in America, preferrably in the Indianapolis or Carmel areas. Or, if anyone has a great online source to recommend that would be great. I'm leaning towards downsizing coffee consumption in favor of finding a great tea to take its place.

There has to be something out there besides Lipton, but where should I start?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cincinatti may be a bit far (1.5 hours?) but Jungle Jims has a nice English (and about every other country) food section as well as a great fresh fish section
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Well tetley, how do I put this, is not the connoisseur of tea, mostly used for every day stuff. If you like strong tea, yorkshire to me is better.

Loose leaf tea does taste great. I'd try out like you did individual bags to get the taste you like and experiment with strength and if you like it with milk or lemon or black etc. Then once you know the type you like then try different brands.
Twinings is a good place to start (I like their loose tea) and you should even get it in shops there and they do sell mixed packs of tea bags.

After years of having tea like my family as weak as water and black and I thought I didn't like tea. I discovered I loved strong tea with milk in it. Experiment and have fun
Thaaaaat's what I thought. Good advice, Irn-bru. Thanks!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

I like strong tea...I use Tetley's British Blend...most supermarket chains sell it. I use a normal size cup...for a mug I would probably use 2 tea bags.
...so that's why it always tasted so weak in a mug. Thanks JG.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:39 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Thaaaaat's what I thought. Good advice, Irn-bru. Thanks!
I will bookmark this reply as I don't get that much
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are there any Indian grocery stores near you? They are likely to sell black tea (bags and loose). I wouldn't be surprised if they sold PG Tips, Tetley and maybe one or two familiar brands. I'd check the expiration dates carefully too.
PG Tips....I'll have to look for that one. How would you describe the taste? I may be down there next week in your neck of the woods. Bet it's hotter 'n the blazes right now in NC :-)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ironporer
Cincinatti may be a bit far (1.5 hours?) but Jungle Jims has a nice English (and about every other country) food section as well as a great fresh fish section
Hey, IP. Yes, it takes us a couple hours to drive it. I'll certainly keep that in mind next time we go. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:55 am

PG Tips....I'll have to look for that one. How would you describe the taste? I may be down there next week in your neck of the woods. Bet it's hotter 'n the blazes right now in NC :-)
PG tips and tetley is the same type of tea (I think!) but PG uses the youngest leaves the tips of the plant (supposed to be less bitter etc) and they have pyramid bags which they say causes the tea to have more freedom to move = better taste.
Its a personal taste, I like PG tips bit better than tetley (not much difference ) but I haven't had either for a while as I use Yorkshire.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
PG tips and tetley is the same type of tea (I think!) but PG uses the youngest leaves the tips of the plant (supposed to be less bitter etc) and they have pyramid bags which they say causes the tea to have more freedom to move = better taste.
Its a personal taste, I like PG tips bit better than tetley (not much difference ) but I haven't had either for a while as I use Yorkshire.
OK. So, Yorkshire tastes.....how would you describe it? I've never heard of it.

Also, I tend to really like lemon juice in my hot tea. Is that pretty common in the UK? Or, is it mostly sugar and cream? Just wondered.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I tend to really like lemon juice in my hot tea. Is that pretty common in the UK? Or, is it mostly sugar and cream? Just wondered.
Yikes...lemon no way...milk and sugar. I just take it with a spot of skimmed milk.

Yorkshire tea is just a brand name. I'm a Yorkshire lass and don't care for it...I prefer PG Tips or Tetley's British Brand.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:14 am

well not cream
Its more usual to take it with milk and sugar but loads of people take it either or, or black. Lemon isn't that common in peoples homes (really hard to generalise!) but you do get offered it or can ask for it if you go out somewhere for a cuppa.

You might find if you like it black with lemon, you like a different brand like twinings etc.
Yorkshire has a deeper more complex taste, full flavoured not as bitter (this is hard, its a bit like trying to explain different coffee lol) but I have milk in it so it might not be as nice without milk and with lemon!
But its harder to find I only get it in my local British shop.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:17 am

Yikes...lemon no way...milk and sugar. I just take it with a spot of skimmed milk.

Yorkshire tea is just a brand name. I'm a Yorkshire lass and don't care for it...I prefer PG Tips or Tetley's British Brand.
Yes sorry I didn't make that clear, PG tips and tetley all is the same type of tea just different brands. Its not like coffee, Arabica, robusta etc.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ironporer
Oh Jungle Jims go with a lot of money you name t they have it.
If you have a Meijers or Biggs grocery store they sell Brit tea do not know what stores Indiana has though.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hove
Oh Jungle Jims go with a lot of money you name t they have it.
If you have a Meijers or Biggs grocery store they sell Brit tea do not know what stores Indiana has though.
Meijer! Thanks, Hove. Now, I can try some of these. We DO have a Meijer in Carmel. This should be fun to try all of these.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Meijer! Thanks, Hove. Now, I can try some of these. We DO have a Meijer in Carmel. This should be fun to try all of these.
OOOOOOOOOH I am sure Carmel will have it for a price.I found Lyons tea in Big Lots and Liquidation world here in Idaho........In fact I really thought the tea was very good better than my PG Tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.