Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it possible to buy good tea in Indiana?

Originally Posted by Hove
OOOOOOOOOH I am sure Carmel will have it for a price.I found Lyons tea in Big Lots and Liquidation world here in Idaho........In fact I really thought the tea was very good better than my PG Tips.
Lyons tea better than PG Tips?

I am sooo afraid of where Big Lots buys their food and where and how long it is in very hot warehouses before it hits the stores...

maybe that's just me....

I'm writing all of these brand names down :-)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:26 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Im sensing an amateur tea drinker here - are you English? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself

PG tips and Tetley are commonly referred to as "builders tea", nice and strong, consistent from bag to bag and an all-rounder. Also good for biscuit dunking, but that's a seperate discussion and you're not ready yet. For me, Tetley's is a little less harsh than PG tips and can be a bit more consistent. If you want a more refined flavour, then Twinnings is your bag, but it can be a bit weak at times when you need that pure gravy taste . That Tazo tea isn't too bad either and can be found in some large chain coffee shops. Bit poncy mind.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:33 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Im sensing an amateur tea drinker here - are you English? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself

PG tips and Tetley are commonly referred to as "builders tea", nice and strong, consistent from bag to bag and an all-rounder. Also good for biscuit dunking, but that's a seperate discussion and you're not ready yet. For me, Tetley's is a little less harsh than PG tips and can be a bit more consistent. If you want a more refined flavour, then Twinnings is your bag, but it can be a bit weak at times when you need that pure gravy taste . That Tazo tea isn't too bad either and can be found in some large chain coffee shops. Bit poncy mind.
Tazo? noooo! None of that evil starbucks nonsense!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:40 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
Tazo? noooo! None of that evil starbucks nonsense!
I know, I know, but it's alright.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:41 pm
You're all mugs!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ouch
Hey tea is important! It's not just for christmas, it's for life!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Bingo! I am soooo not English. But, my life long dream is to visit England and my favorite authors are mostly English.

Yes, very amateur tea drinker although I did have some loose tea from Piccidilly's in London a few yrs. back and LOVED it! I just threw a teaspoon in a cup and saucer, boiling water next, and sometimes a queeze of lemon. That's why I was asking how most people in England drink it.

Here's the thing: I had three varieties, Piccidilly, English Breakfast, and Earl Gray. Although I was partial to Piccidilly, they all tasted basically the same so I couldn't really figure out which kind I liked more. And, the Piccidilly one was probably some mixture of several kinds, I assumed?? Who knows. It's fun learning more about it and hearing how people say they like it.

Last edited by deniseincarmel; Aug 2nd 2007 at 12:54 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:57 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I know, but it's alright.
no its not
Agree with twinings it does have a weaker taste but if OP likes lemon and black I think it might be the best bet.

Loose tea (and fresh) is really good if you can get good quality.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 2:06 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
no its not
Agree with twinings it does have a weaker taste but if OP likes lemon and black I think it might be the best bet.

Loose tea (and fresh) is really good if you can get good quality.
If you don;t mind mucking around with a teapot, there's a fantastic company here in chicago that does the best Tea and Coffee I've had in the states.

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Their English breakfast is amazing! They also have a mail order section and definitely worth the hassle

Seriously, they got me through grad school!

Oh dear!! I feel somewhat like a tea obsessive/snob. eeek!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:44 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I am a loose leaf tea drinker and found a great place online - www.uptonstea.com I have been using them for a while and they are really good. They have a great selection at a reasonable price. One online company I would highly recommend.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynne
I am a loose leaf tea drinker and found a great place online - www.uptonstea.com I have been using them for a while and they are really good. They have a great selection at a reasonable price. One online company I would highly recommend.
Lynne, I went there. It looks like they have an amazing selection.

Here's a link that might work:
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/hom...3Dupton%2Bteas
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Lyons tea better than PG Tips?

I am sooo afraid of where Big Lots buys their food and where and how long it is in very hot warehouses before it hits the stores...

maybe that's just me....

Man you could worry yourself to death ,Our liquidation world food comes from Canada,Our Big Lots comes from California and most foods have expiration dates
on them .I would worry more about what comes from China .You know Wal -Mart carries Tetleys tea the round Tea Bags I think its called English Breakfast tea.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:16 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Your supermarket should have the Twinings variety pack. They're all a tad bland excepting for the Earl Grey. I use the loose Earl Grey tea for when I feel like that particular flavor. You can't beat loose tea for flavor.

How to make tea:

1. Boil water in a kettle.
2. Clean out a tea pot.
3. Pour boiling water into the teapot.
4. Swish it around, so the pot is warmed up. Pour it out.
5. Measure tea leaves into teapot.
6. Add boiling water, swish it around a bit.
7. Let it sit for a few minutes.
8. Pour milk into a pretty teacup.
9. Add tea (don't forget a strainer).
10 Enjoy!

That is how the Brits make real tea. (I think! I'm not a Brit either, just had to live with them!)
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:07 pm
You're all mugs!

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Highly contentious issue this. There is basically two camps, milk in first or milk in after. If you are doing it very properly, especially with loose tea and all that, strictly speaking the milk should be warmed slightly. Personally, I am a milk in first man!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:33 pm
Silly fool for love

Highly contentious issue this. There is basically two camps, milk in first or milk in after. If you are doing it very properly, especially with loose tea and all that, strictly speaking the milk should be warmed slightly. Personally, I am a milk in first man!
Agreed, there's also the variety variable and whether to use milk or lemon slices!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Your supermarket should have the Twinings variety pack. They're all a tad bland excepting for the Earl Grey. I use the loose Earl Grey tea for when I feel like that particular flavor. You can't beat loose tea for flavor.

How to make tea:

1. Boil water in a kettle.
2. Clean out a tea pot.
3. Pour boiling water into the teapot.
4. Swish it around, so the pot is warmed up. Pour it out.
5. Measure tea leaves into teapot.
6. Add boiling water, swish it around a bit.
7. Let it sit for a few minutes.
9. Add tea (don't forget a strainer).
10 Enjoy!

That is how the Brits make real tea. (I think! I'm not a Brit either, just had to live with them!)
So that's how you do it! Thanks Redlippie. I'm not big on milk, so I'd probably add my squirt of lemon instead.

The loose tea did seem fresher...maybe my imagination...or maybe the paper from the tea bags have been bleached and that's coming through on the tastebuds...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.