Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

possibility of hiring a private driver and a live-in nanny in Chicago.

possibility of hiring a private driver and a live-in nanny in Chicago.

Old Mar 9th 2014, 7:45 am
Banned

barbarasimmings@aol.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default possibility of hiring a private driver and a live-in nanny in Chicago.

my greetings to all of you. i was wondering about thepossibility of hiring a private driver in Chicago, and a permanent nanny for my young children. If you know about that,would you kindly tell me about their salaries? ,thanx a lot.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 9th 2014 at 11:35 pm. Reason: Please email me via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page re your username. Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possibility of hiring a private driver and a live-in nanny in Chicago.

Can't help with the nanny but you really shouldn't use your email as your user name. Spam bots trawl this site and your probably in for a fair amount.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possibility of hiring a private driver and a live-in nanny in Chicago.

Originally Posted by [email protected]
my greetings to all of you. i was wondering about thepossibility of hiring a private driver in Chicago, and a permanent nanny for my young children. If you know about that,would you kindly tell me about their salaries? ,thanx a lot.
I wouldn't hire either other than through an agency, so the agency can take care of the background checks and licensing requirements. So the agency(s) will be able to advise you of the appropriate salary ranges.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
..... you're probably in for a fair amount.
Some of it dangerous.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 9th 2014 at 1:38 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with hiring domestics is that you are responsible for the tax withholdings and filings, which can be a bit annoying. If you hire through an agency they end up with the responsibility for all that, along with the background and licensing bits. You do pay a bit more for this.

As for a driver, you need to seriously examine the issue of legal liability. Is it a driver driving your car or are they driving their own car or a company car? Who is the one that has to pay insurance and does that insurance cover you as the owner / passenger / third party. In the US the issue of liability is a MAJOR concern so sorting through that is something you'll need to handle.

That said, often people do have nannies and cooks and gardeners and whatnot, but they just pay them cash and (illegally) avoid all the paperwork.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i found a nanny through care.com. (two in fact). I did have to do the ss and medicare withholding and file tax stuff and that wasnt fun but it suited me at the time. care.com can do some background checks for you and can record reference checks - or you can do the ref checks yourself.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rely on the agency for everything. Our first nanny somehow managed to sneak her (lack of) work history past the background "check" by the agency. Nice enough girl but things just weren't adding up; in the end we let her go and she went without argument. Our current one was recommended by friends; I deal with her taxes and stuff; she's turned out significantly better than the agency one. Just our personal experience of two.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

You could also look at sittercity.com for a nanny if you don't want to pay massive agency fees.

Here I would expect to pay a nanny around $12 to $15 per hour, plus mileage if they're driving their own car. Chicago being a big city may be more expensive.

Then you need to think about tax, insurance, etc.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Here I would expect to pay a nanny around $12 to $15 per hour, plus mileage if they're driving their own car. Chicago being a big city may be more expensive.
I'd think you'd be paying more. That's about a bit less than what you'd pay a high school kid down here...nanny is usually a minimum 4 hours at $25hr.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd think you'd be paying more. That's about a bit less than what you'd pay a high school kid down here...nanny is usually a minimum 4 hours at $25hr.
Generally in life, you get what you pay for. How much is it worth to you to get competent, trained, licensed, insured, screened, taxed, law abiding domestic staff to look after your children safely?
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Having an on-demand nanny for 4 hours isn't the same as having a 5-day-a-week live-in nanny though. We pay well below $25/hr - hard to pin it down to a specific figure as she's not a clock watcher, plus she gets "benefits" like all meals included which an on-demand nanny is unlikely to get.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Having an on-demand nanny for 4 hours isn't the same as having a 5-day-a-week live-in nanny though. We pay well below $25/hr - hard to pin it down to a specific figure as she's not a clock watcher, plus she gets "benefits" like all meals included which an on-demand nanny is unlikely to get.
Aye, well that's the going rate down our way for a non-live in one, even if they're all day or not.

The minimum hour is regardless of using them for a half day or not though.

Just shows how variable it can all be.