Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Positive TB test - Consequences of declining treatment?

Positive TB test - Consequences of declining treatment?

Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Edie_09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Positive TB test - Consequences of declining treatment?

I arrived here last week on an F1 visa and was given the TB test, got a positive result, was sent to hospital with the wrong paperwork and insurance info and after much delay I got the x-rays. Went to see the doctor today and was told that even though I’d had the BCG, my x-rays were clear, I’d never lived in or travelled to high risk areas and my health is fine, I still probably have TB “from all the immigration in London” (I’ve never lived in London). I was offered the 9-month course of drugs and I declined but said I’d be sure to let them know if I start coughing up blood.

Now I’m wondering how this will affect any future applications for visas or insurance. I’ve searched the board and it seems false positives and diagnoses are a common problem, so what has everyone’s experience been in the long term following a positive test, especially if they declined the treatment? Will it come back to haunt me?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive TB test - Consequences of declining treatment?

I'm a nurse, I too test pos due to the BCG and never had any treatment it hasn't affected me at all Although it was offered to me initalial when we got here.
I just refuse all skin tests from now on, I will get a chest x-ray if they insist. But my doctor usually just writes a note to say I had the BCG vax and have no signs and symptoms of being exposed to TB and so chest x-ray not recommended. That was good enough for the state of CA for a physical I had to do.
My Doctor is from the Philippines where they give the BCG vax too, so he's more than willing to write a note for me.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:00 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Had the test, got the positive.

Had the X-ray came back negative.

It never caused me a problem.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Can't say what'll happen - but I'm going to keep my eye on this thread.
Both mine and hubbs TB skin test was postive - mine only just, but the hubbs was huge...We both had clear chest x-rays and we've both had the BCG vaccination. He was told that he had to have the 9 month treatment too - He declined. Not due to the time - but the complete unrealistic course of action on the fact that the Dr could't tell him that he had TB....and taking treatment that could *Potentially* have side effects.
We sent of our forms with a "patient declined treatment" statement. Yet to hear anything back from them.....
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

If skin test is positive by xrays are clear - why are people getting on the 9 month treatment?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:40 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I had the BCG and my skin test came back positive, xray negative and that was the end of that.

The civil surgeon signed my papers and I got my green card. No treatment was recommended.

You can get a blood text...Quantiferon Gold which will back up your negative results.http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/f...esting/QFT.htm

I work for our local school district and they require a TB skin test each year. The civil surgeon who did my immigration medical told me not to have any more skin tests as I reacted so badly and I don't want annual xrays so I will go the way of the blood test. It is about $150.

If you search this forum you will find posts from other people who have had TB tests, negative and positive.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:43 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Sorry I misread the title.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Edie_09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Good to know that people have refused the treatment without later problems. I will keep the blood test in mind in case I do run into problems and need to prove I am TB-free. Right now I'm down over $100 for the x-rays so I'm trying not to add any more expense, but if it came to getting a $150 blood test or taking 9 months of potentially harmful and unnecessary drugs, I will go with the blood test!

emailrob, it seems that some doctors don't believe the BCG really gives a false positive, so even with a clear x-ray they insist the positive test result must indicate latent TB. Unfortunately my doc is among them.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I test positive for TB and I've never had the BCG. I tested positive when they were giving them out at school so they wouldn't give me the BCG.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

I know our Dr said that he had contacted the CDC and they stated that the blood test wouldn't be accepted as it hadn't been "proved" to be that accurate.

I am also getting the feeling that there is a zip code lottery in regards to this GC process.....and our experiences differ greatly with our circumstances.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you start from this link, you can see all the USCIS and CDC stuff on the new TB testing (and what to do afterward).
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I had the BCG and my skin test came back positive, xray negative and that was the end of that.

The civil surgeon signed my papers and I got my green card. No treatment was recommended.
Same here.

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I work for our local school district and they require a TB skin test each year. The civil surgeon who did my immigration medical told me not to have any more skin tests as I reacted so badly and I don't want annual xrays so I will go the way of the blood test. It is about $150.
This was a problem for me once. An employer wanted to do a medical and I said it was pointless doing the skin test as it would come back positive. They asked me to have an X-ray. I called their bluff and declined as I don't believe in having unneeded X-rays. I guess they really wanted to hire me because that was the last I heard from them about it.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:07 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edie_09
emailrob, it seems that some doctors don't believe the BCG really gives a false positive, so even with a clear x-ray they insist the positive test result must indicate latent TB. Unfortunately my doc is among them.
There's a civil surgeon in Albuquerque who talks this way. I usually recommend that people go elsewhere. (Reminds me of some of my pre-med students from way back....)
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't also depend on the size (in mm) of the reaction to the skin test?

I had an x-ray when I had my medical in the UK which was clear. When I came to the US I had a skin test which was positive, I had to go to the PA Department of Health to see a doctor at the TB clinic. He confirmed my x-ray was clear of TB but because the spread of the reaction was 21mm I must have been exposed to TB, and put me on the 9 months of antibiotics, I didn't complete the course as I became pregnant half-way through.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:55 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Doesn't also depend on the size (in mm) of the reaction to the skin test?

I had an x-ray when I had my medical in the UK which was clear. When I came to the US I had a skin test which was positive, I had to go to the PA Department of Health to see a doctor at the TB clinic. He confirmed my x-ray was clear of TB but because the spread of the reaction was 21mm I must have been exposed to TB, and put me on the 9 months of antibiotics, I didn't complete the course as I became pregnant half-way through.
its an American thing, the UK on testing takes the BCG into consideration the US doesn't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test