Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Portland or Seattle?

Wikiposts

Portland or Seattle?

Old Feb 16th 2006, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portland or Seattle?

Originally Posted by boardy
. I've also looked into areas like Redmond

Good luck if you can afford Redmond - we couldn't. We'd love to live there or Issaquah - but real estate prices are extremely exorbitant!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:20 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So AdobePinon, I guess that you are not crazy about the place.
For your sake I should clarify: I've never been to Portland, ME, and have no opinion on the place. I was just amused at Bob's post (and his curious omission of the word 'pants').

But between PDX and SEA, I go with PDX. You'll find both to be great places, but PDX is somewhat cheaper (especially for housing), with slightly better weather, easier to get in and out of (except crossing the Columbia at rush hour), and not quite as full of itself.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Avg cloudy/clear days for seattle per annum:

Clear: 71
Partly Cloudy:93
Cloudy/Overcast: 201

Mmm lovely almost 2 out of every 3 days is completely overcast.

http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?City=Seattle
No numbers for Portland, unfortunately, although presumably slightly lower. It would be interesting to see figures for major UK cities as well; I think some degree of rain falls on around 250 days a year in London, for example.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
But between PDX and SEA, I go with PDX. You'll find both to be great places, but PDX is somewhat cheaper (especially for housing), with slightly better weather, easier to get in and out of (except crossing the Columbia at rush hour), and not quite as full of itself.
Plus it's the home of Lewis & Clark College, alma mater of Monica Lewinsky. Funnily enough, they weren't bragging about that fact when one of my daughters went on a tour of the campus there.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:13 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Good luck if you can afford Redmond - we couldn't. We'd love to live there or Issaquah - but real estate prices are extremely exorbitant!
So true!! We can afford to rent in Redmond but not buy Redmond has the only panera bread in WA so will miss it when I move. It is a nice looking town with good facilities around it so is Issaquah (though downtown slighly rundown) though hope to afford outside Issaquah or surrounding area (fingers & toes crossed )
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:26 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

So Seattle is tops for serial murderers and suicide …………………. lovely. I am willingly to live with that (!), but will the traffic and cost of living outweigh the natural beauty and outdoor activities? I am looking into surrounding areas as an alternative.
The traffic is a nightmare in rushhour. the monorail is down and don't know when that will start working again (2 cars hit each other going in opposite direction in Nov). But traffic is quite good at weekends (long as no football games on) so if only travelling at weekends to do outdoor activities you should be OK. Also I take it you do have a good income to be able to afford rent in a decent place and area and have enough left over for fun! And the eastside (redmond etc) apparently the cost of living is 50% over the national average - so it's not cheaper than Seattle.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:38 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
is Issaquah (though downtown slighly rundown)
It's an old mining town dating back to the 1800's. Population of less than 20,000. The ol' country folk like living surrounded by their history perhaps? Not all of the US is all chrome and glass except recent constructions. But I'm sure the new housing developments will have what you are looking for (if you can afford it).
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Desdemona
It's an old mining town dating back to the 1800's. Population of less than 20,000. The ol' country folk like living surrounded by their history perhaps? Not all of the US is all chrome and glass except recent constructions. But I'm sure the new housing developments will have what you are looking for (if you can afford it).
I don't necessary want to live in a new home or like modern shining chrome developments, and actually seek out older places and homes to live in, the US, as I miss the history of UK. I like Issaquah for it's history but the garage at the bottom of the mainstreet with it's modern rusty overhang and a couple of other 'modern' circa 1970's spoil the rest of the history of the place and am fascinated why any local council would allow modern out of place signs and ones that aren't cared for in an otherwise idyllic place. I have been to plenty of old country historic places which are very well cared for and have lived in a older place in Virginia, so just because it's country does not mean that it has to have parts that are run down. And just because I observe that it is slightly rundown you can not read into that, everything that you did
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:22 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

the garage at the bottom of the mainstreet with it's modern rusty overhang and a couple of other 'modern' circa 1970's spoil the rest of the history of the place and am fascinated why any local council would allow modern out of place signs and ones that aren't cared for in an otherwise idyllic place.
I believe you But I don't think the city has that much control over privately owned property. Not in this state anyway. As long as it's not a total eye sore. Let's say the average joe in small town WA is a little rough around the edges, probably like the garage owner in question and leave it that? He's certainly not going to appreciate some official telling him what kind of sign he should put up outside his shop. His vote keeps those people in office
Now Santa Barbara, CA for instance has certain architectural codes in place which allow only certain types of buildings in their downtown area ie. Spanish hacienda types of buildings and even the local Micky Ds and banks etc. have that certain hispanic look.
I hope I haven't upset you with any of my comments. And I'm sorry if I did
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:35 am

I hope I haven't upset you with any of my comments. And I'm sorry if I did
Thank you, but I obviously need another cup of java as I am getting over sensitive and ratty so sorry from me
I didn't know that council wouldn't have some control over the appearance of a modern building (at least their sign)in a listed historical town (take it it's listed). Some historic places in UK if you open a modern shop all outward signs has to "be in keeping' with the local history/feeling of the place. Maybe US could take lessons (once again ) from the british in how to do things! I just have a thing everywhere from those ugly garage/repair places - why do they have to have the fat, ugly overhang thing that you drivethrough? I am sure you can get a nice thin lighting contraption from somewhere. I do take your point about a struggling garage owner just trying to make ends meet, but if he could do it in a backroad without any overhang thing (what are they called!) jsut for me I'd appreciate it
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:48 am
Banned

Thank you, but I obviously need another cup of java as I am getting over sensitive and ratty so sorry from me
I didn't know that council wouldn't have some control over the appearance of a modern building (at least their sign)in a listed historical town (take it it's listed). Some historic places in UK if you open a modern shop all outward signs has to "be in keeping' with the local history/feeling of the place. Maybe US could take lessons (once again ) from the british in how to do things! I just have a thing everywhere from those ugly garage/repair places - why do they have to have the fat, ugly overhang thing that you drivethrough? I am sure you can get a nice thin lighting contraption from somewhere. I do take your point about a struggling garage owner just trying to make ends meet, but if he could do it in a backroad without any overhang thing (what are they called!) jsut for me I'd appreciate it
Every thing is different state to state. Each state makes it's own laws basically. And everything is far removed from the UK or any other country in the world. This country is so damn huge people think the world begins and ends within our shores. But we don't do too badly or why else would you choose to live here eh? Just the bloody canucks to the north and those f ecking Mexicans to the south of us
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:00 am
Just Joined

boardy is on a distinguished road

I believe you
Now Santa Barbara, CA for instance has certain architectural codes in place which allow only certain types of buildings in their downtown area ie. Spanish hacienda types of buildings and even the local Micky Ds and banks etc. have that certain hispanic look.
Been to Santa Barbara a good few times and it is truly a lovely place but real estate prices are ludicrous. I was there this time last year and took a whale-watching tour and I think that most people were on the wrong side of the boat looking at the mansions on the coast rather than the whales.

And the eastside (redmond etc) apparently the cost of living is 50% over the national average - so it's not cheaper than Seattle.
And even though Redmond sounds 'nice', I don't know if it is worth paying 50% more for it.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:17 am
Banned

Been to Santa Barbara a good few times and it is truly a lovely place but real estate prices are ludicrous.
Playground of the rich and the famous
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, boardy! here's my tuppence worth....
dont you go believeing all these scaremongers here who say seattle has the biggest suicide rate etc etc!
i have been and stayed in seattle more times than my mums cooked me hot dinners, and every time i am there, it's always a fantastic place to be.
as someone here says, its great for nightlife (sometimes the wrong type , but you can always have a whale of a time there.
and what about the rain? well, i ahve never seen it to be as bad as everyone goes around crying! ok, there IS rain in seattle, but look at the positive side--thats why it has the only rainforest in the whole of the northern hemisphere (olympia national forest).
and although the rain can be slow to clear, when it does, where else can you get magnificent sunrises and sunsets, with beautiful purple, red and pink clouds with turquoise skies? never seen better ones than i seattle!
portland i have also been to--yes--it's staid, proper and nice--much to nice and quiet for me!!

I am planning to move to the PNW soon and was hoping that those of you with experience of both cities (or surrounding areas) could tell me which one you preferred (and why)?

I am male, 40, single, US passport holder, and looking for a new lease in life. Like the outdoors and the city buzz, more into cafes than pubs, don't mind the rain and will buy a business that will give me a decent quality of life.

Thanks (in advance) for your time.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:37 am

Every thing is different state to state. Each state makes it's own laws basically. And everything is far removed from the UK or any other country in the world. This country is so damn huge people think the world begins and ends within our shores. But we don't do too badly or why else would you choose to live here eh? Just the bloody canucks to the north and those f ecking Mexicans to the south of us
Hadn't heard of the word canuck before And do love living in US, my friends in UK were fed up me going on about the US and told me to go and live there again if I loved it so much so I did
My written humour just sucks so ignore my previous post re US listening to british

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.