Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Portland or Seattle?

Wikiposts

Portland or Seattle?

Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:18 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portland or Seattle?

Originally Posted by boardy
I am planning to move to the PNW soon and was hoping that those of you with experience of both cities (or surrounding areas) could tell me which one you preferred (and why)?

I am male, 40, single, US passport holder, and looking for a new lease in life. Like the outdoors and the city buzz, more into cafes than pubs, don't mind the rain and will buy a business that will give me a decent quality of life.

Thanks (in advance) for your time.
Ok, I know I slagged of Seattle in previous thread but to explain as stated I think the touristy bits aren't as nice as led to believe before coming here to live. But as stated real downtown is nice and definitely great nightlife but also as expected great cafe scene and if single can see why anyone would love to live downtown. It's not New York but definitely has a unique feel of it's own. The downside is so stupidly expensive but if after your research and feel you can afford to rent the apartment you like - I think you would enjoy it especially after what you have said in above quote. Also there is so many great and different things to do in a day out (which is the bit I like). So if skiing and outdoors pursuits are your thing and you enjoy spectacular natural beauty ( that's obviously not in Seattle, but very close to it), as well as city life. You probably could have it all here! And the high price you would pay to live here would be offset by no aircon bills
Sorry no help on Portland
I moved here last year without visiting it first. I have lived in Indy for a year and north Virginia for 2 yrs and it is very different from both - more liberal, independent thinking etc.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:20 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning to move to the PNW soon and was hoping that those of you with experience of both cities (or surrounding areas) could tell me which one you preferred (and why)?

I am male, 40, single, US passport holder, and looking for a new lease in life. Like the outdoors and the city buzz, more into cafes than pubs, don't mind the rain and will buy a business that will give me a decent quality of life.

Thanks (in advance) for your time.
Seattle of course!! But then I'm biased
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Seattle of course!! But then I'm biased
Really there should be a poll, but only if he agrees to do as the poll results suggest

I would say Portland, it's far nicer in my opinion (but I've only visited); however there's probably not the business opportunities the OP wants.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:24 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The one thing I hate about Britain is the dreary grey wet winters (and some summers) . Why on Earth anyone would seriously choose to move to somewhere thats even greyer, drearier and wetter I have no idea. Incidentally did you know the NorthWest has the highest suicide rate in the USA?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suifacts.htm
Thanks for cheering me up here in the PNF
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:37 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lads and Lassies.
Weatherwise: Since it's fairly moderate in the PNW, at least you won't freeze to death in the winter like in the NE (where I spent 16 years). And you won't swelter with all that humidity in other parts. There's no place like Florida in the winter, but summer is hell. Southern Cal is grand except for the 'no seasons' part. I've been to most regions in the States except the PNW and I guess that's the reason why I'm curious about the place.

Yep, I'd probably miss the seasons in So.Cal. At the same time, California is the only other state I'd ever consider moving to. I'd love to live in Monterrey and thereabouts or on the Big Sur.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Thanks for cheering me up here in the PNF
You're welcome.

PS It's a lovely day here in FLA...75f and clear blue skies. Sun factor around 5 or 6....and the forecast seems to be for more of the same in the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:51 am

You're welcome.

PS It's a lovely day here in FLA...75f and clear blue skies. Sun factor around 5 or 6....and the forecast seems to be for more of the same in the foreseeable future.
Sunny and 43 here. See not so different
Old Feb 15th 2006, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My new start in life is narrowed down to Boulder, Portland (Maine), Portland and Seattle. I've done all the demographics and research for these areas and the PNW is the only area left for me to visit. I've also looked into areas like Bellingham, Olympia, Redmond, Vancouver (WA) etc. but narrowed it down to Portland and Seattle.
Portland Maine, for Maine is probably the only city of 28 cities that resembles a city to be honest, it ain't bad, but a tad pricey by maine standards, and also parking is utterly shite out there, and zoned, so hours of fun in the winter, which to be brutally honest suck balls most of the time, this year has been an exception. The plus, well the Portland JetPort, airport is having the runway extended to legal length, so flights might get cheaper to rest of country from there, and there's a regular, and okay train service to Boston, which is only a couple to 3 hours away.
Schools are a bit shite to be honest as well unless you can stump for private, and universities, well there a bit shite unless you want to study nursing and forestry, which they are fab for and about it.
Property tax is one of the highest around, car insurance sucks balls, and running a car ain't cheap with registration costs etc....sales tax is good at 5% and not included with fresh foods.

That's my stump for maine, oh, and national parks aren't cheap, but well worth checking out, especially bar harbor, lovely area...and surperb seafood all over.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Jill is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in both cities. Seattle is bigger, busier, more expensive and gets more rain. Probably more opportunities if you are single - but you would need a good income to make the most of it. Portland is like Seattle was 20 years ago. More laid back, granola and starbucks environment with affordable housing and great uncrowded outdoor opportunities. Didn't see anything about your occupation or work status. This should be the most important aspect for you as you will not enjoy either location if you are unemployeed.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I hate about Britain is the dreary grey wet winters (and some summers) . Why on Earth anyone would seriously choose to move to somewhere thats even greyer, drearier and wetter I have no idea. Incidentally did you know the NorthWest has the highest suicide rate in the USA?
It also has more than its fair share of serial muderers as well, but I don't think that would put me off...

Anyway, perhaps a lot of people don't hate Britain for its wet weather? Or, if they do, they can see a diffierence between England's overcast/drizzle etc and the PNW's storms? Even with the latter's rainfall, I very much doubt it has as many overcast days as England does.

Btw, Oakland, CA has the same rainfall as London. It hardly means they have similar climates!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:33 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Bob interpretation service, re: Portland, Maine

Pros:
- resembles a city
- this year has been an exception [didn't suck balls]
- runway being extended
- okay train to Boston
- sales tax is good at 5%

Cons:
- tad pricey
- parking utterly shite
- hours of [not] fun in the winter
- suck balls most of the time
- schools bit shite
- universities... bit shite
- property tax highest around
- car insurance sucks balls
- running a car ain't cheap [registration]

Summary: Portland, ME, sucks balls and is variably a bit shite to utter shite, but other than that it's a really great place to live.

Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It also has more than its fair share of serial muderers as well, but I don't think that would put me off...

Anyway, perhaps a lot of people don't hate Britain for its wet weather? Or, if they do, they can see a diffierence between England's overcast/drizzle etc and the PNW's storms? Even with the latter's rainfall, I very much doubt it has as many overcast days as England does.

Btw, Oakland, CA has the same rainfall as London. It hardly means they have similar climates!

Avg cloudy/clear days for seattle per annum:

Clear: 71
Partly Cloudy:93
Cloudy/Overcast: 201

Mmm lovely almost 2 out of every 3 days is completely overcast.

http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?City=Seattle

Or for a more detailed picture of the dreariness:

http://www.wagoneers.com/UNIX/Seattle-weather.html

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Feb 15th 2006 at 12:44 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Summary: Portland, ME, sucks balls and is variably a bit shite to utter shite, but other than that it's a really great place to live.

pretty much, but Portland is the social highlight to Maine, so that's another selling point
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

boardy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

So AdobePinon, I guess that you are not crazy about the place.

I've been to Maine for the autumnal color-changing spectacle from Kennebunkport and up the coast to Bar Harbor. Portland (Maine) has been picked as one of the best places for relocation, but development is now being geared towards the wealthy or people in the lower income bracket. The main plus side for the city is that it is on East coast and close to Europe. I didn’t look into the university situation there, which is important for my future plans (as good ones foster eclectic and interesting neighborhoods).

And I know about the flies, the humidity, the abundant snow, the parking, the cold, the mud season, and the stereotypical Mainer, so at the moment Portland (Maine) is on the bottom of my “best places” list.

So Seattle is tops for serial murderers and suicide …………………. lovely. I am willingly to live with that (!), but will the traffic and cost of living outweigh the natural beauty and outdoor activities? I am looking into surrounding areas as an alternative.
irnbru4u: your description of Seattle is insightful and gives me a realistic feel for the place.

Overall, Portland (Oregon) is coming up trumps (based on your suggestions). I’ve heard elsewhere about the counter-culture, the homelessness (and aggressive panhandling), the drug problem, and the bad areas of the city. It may not be as bad as they say. And it looks like that it is offset by all the positive points?

I understand that I will need to spend some time in these places to get a true impression. But once again, being forewarned by posters who have spent time in these cities can save me an enormous amount of time and energy.

Last edited by boardy; Feb 15th 2006 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, Portland (Oregon) is coming up trumps (based on your suggestions). I’ve heard elsewhere about the counter-culture, the homelessness (and aggressive panhandling), the drug problem, and the bad areas of the city. It may not be as bad as they say. And it looks like that it is offset by all the positive points?

I only visited Portland (OR) twice, and only once did I go into the city properly, but I don't recall seeing any homeless people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.