Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Portland / Seaside Oregon, what do you suggest?

Portland / Seaside Oregon, what do you suggest?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Portland / Seaside Oregon, what do you suggest?

Timberline Lodge.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulK
Timberline Lodge.
Canadian Rockies.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 5:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say I had a great weekend in Portland, with an English edge.

Several pints of Speckled Hen at The Horse Brass on Saturday night, fish, chips and mushy peas washed down with Dandelion and Burdoch on Sunday.

Plus the highligh; seeing Portland beaten on their own turf. It was great to have the attmosphere of a proper away game, a good crowd with lots who travelled down from Seattle, and I was able to wear my colors around town beforhand, which I would not do in blighty. There was ribbing, of course, but that was all.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Plus the highligh; seeing Portland beaten on their own turf.
If that is a high for Seattle they must be normally as bad as they played Sunday.

The Timbers are just a bunch of largely untalented individuals, as clearly demonstrated by the lack of skill resulting in the penalty. At least Seattle seem to know that they were a team. Cracking goal from the free kick.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Newport for the Rogue Brewery tap and then south to Bandon beach:

We stayed at a Best Western that literally hangs off the side of a cliff overlooking this. Simply beautiful.

And there was a wildlife sanctuary nearby that lets you grope the animals.

Last edited by tonrob; Jul 11th 2011 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If that is a high for Seattle they must be normally as bad as they played Sunday.

The Timbers are just a bunch of largely untalented individuals, as clearly demonstrated by the lack of skill resulting in the penalty. At least Seattle seem to know that they were a team. Cracking goal from the free kick.
I have been here long enough that local supporters culture has rubbed off on me, and so, beating Portland is a definite highlight.

Its been a battle with Seattle, they are starting to work more as a team, Montero who got the first two goals, has a lot of natural skill, but can be so lazy, there have been lots of false dawns where he works his socks off for a few weeks then goes quiet again.

MLS is what I watch now, so its skill level is my de facto standard. Watching football is about more than just being entertained by the skill of the play.

Who will be out first from Piggy Park, Cooper or Spencer?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Who will be out first from Piggy Park, Cooper or Spencer?
Cooper if they have any sense, a lumbering Ox. Reminds me of Barry Endean from my early Watford days. Watford made a donation of £50 for Barry to a pub team in Hayes.

Spencer might well take the hit, it is the way blame the coach. With what he has got to work with I think they would be lucky if he wanted to stay. Hope he does, but I do wonder how any of the locals understand a word he says. His Alaska Airlines advert is a classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlhV0iCsgM

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 11th 2011 at 10:36 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:59 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Newport for the Rogue Brewery tap and then south to Bandon beach:

http://www.dariusphotography.com/ima...andonBeach.jpg

We stayed at a Best Western that literally hangs off the side of a cliff overlooking this. Simply beautiful.

And there was a wildlife sanctuary nearby that lets you grope the animals.
Bandon Beach is the MOST amazingly gorgeous beach on the coast, my total favourite.. but the OP isn't around for long and that is a lonnnnng drive down!

Me personally I will skip all the towns and stay in a yurt in one of the state parks, Cape Lookout (Tillamook), Nehalem Bay (Manzanita), so many much nicer places than Seaside (IMHO), but if you do want to stay in a town try Manzanita over the rest of them.

Have fun, and let us know what you decide to do!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
C His Alaska Airlines advert is a classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlhV0iCsgM
Cute.. hadn't seen that before.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

astro_dr is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW!!! I think Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the US.

Portland is so lovely! Just a walk by the riverfront is so much fun. My wife lives in Eugene, and whenever I visit her (we live in different states for work reasons) we often love to spend a day in Portland and on the coast. This is what we do (I know we are very easy to please!): we drive out to Portland early morning and walk around in the city (including coffee at Union Square). Then we have lunch at one of their spectacular restaurants. Next we drive west to Tillamook and visit the famous cheese factory, where we treat ourselves to the fabulous free cheese samples and $2 yet delicious ice cream. Then we continue westwards towards the Pacific. We love to go to a place called Cape Meares, which has a lighthouse. At Cape Meares, you can also hike up a hill and get to a lookout point. Words can't describe the view from there! Anyway, then we keep driving south along 101 S and stop wherever we feel like.

When its dark and we're tired, we pull over at one of the hotels on the coast (its nice to find one right on the waterfront), spend the night, and get back to Eugene!

All of the state parks are fabulous. I'd specifically recommend Cape Kiwanda, where they have a really nice hotel right on the waterfront. The next day you can have fun at a HUGE sand dune right on the beach (at least 1000 ft high I think) that's a lot of fun to climb (and a great workout!). There is also a fabulous bar/seafood place to eat lunch at, on the beach as well.

Last edited by astro_dr; Jul 12th 2011 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by astro_dr
At Cape Meares, you can also hike up a hill and get to a lookout point. Words can't describe the view from there! Anyway, then we keep driving south along 101 S and stop wherever we feel like.
Next time you go, when you leave Cape Meares, look for the sign to the scenic route going south. Follow that route, joins 101 further south and is much better from the scenic standpoint.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks lansbury, will definitely keep that in mind.

Ah! Just saw someone talk about Bandon above. Its a bit too far of a drive from Portland, I think, but man, its UNBELIEVABLY beautiful there. Summer is a great time to visit the Oregon coast. I was there a couple of years ago in the summer, and I'll never forget the emerald color of the ocean on a bright sunny day.

Another amazing place is Crater Lake. I won't try to describe that - best to just say that its one of those views that makes life worth living. I got a similar feeling when I saw a total solar eclipse or the sunrise at Tiger Hill in Darjeeling. (This is unrelated to the Oregon discussion - but I wouldn't recommend visiting Darjeeling now, unless one has a time machine that allows you to visit it at least 10 years ago, or during the British Raj)

OK I'd better shut up and get back to building that time machine now (being a theoretical physicist by profession)....

Last edited by astro_dr; Jul 12th 2011 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
He/him

..... I wouldn't recommend visiting Darjeeling now, unless one has a time machine that allows you to visit it at least 10 years ago.....
Do tell more, whats happened? (I visited about 20 years ago)
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

I lived in Darjeeling for about 2 years, between 97-99, working at ANZ Grindlays Bank on Laden La road (I'm sure you changed traveller's checks there when you visited!). That was my first job, fresh out of college, and I was extremely excited and LOVED every second of it. I'll never forget the late night walks I took through the mountain roads to various lookout points to catch a glimpse of the Kanchenjungha in the moonlight.

So naturally, after getting married to my American wife (who had never been to India before), I put Darjeeling on our India itinerary last year. it was SUCH a shock! That place is over-crowded beyond imagination. The roads (which once had zero motor vehicle traffic) are as bustling as streets in Delhi. There are high-rise buildings,supermarkets and seedy hotels on both sides of the street which cut out all the views, and apparently the city has not been able to figure out a way of cleaning the filth that comes from so much overpopulation. So there is trash and filth and garbage lying around everywhere. Very often (and mostly during the night) they just light random bonfires to get rid of the garbage, but that causes the air to filled with the stench of burning trash, from which there is no escape.

It was very sad for me to realize that the Darjeeling that I once adored, exists only in my imagination.

Needless to mention, all this was a bit too much for my wife (who also fell violently ill from a stomach infection) - and we had to cut short our trip and get back to Kolkata.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:01 pm
He/him

..... That place is over-crowded beyond imagination. The roads (which once had zero motor vehicle traffic) are as bustling as streets in Delhi. There are high-rise buildings,supermarkets and seedy hotels on both sides of the street which cut out all the views......
Sounds like it is the victim of India's booming economy. A pity we so often seem not to be able to keep the best of the past when we get the new.