Reload this Page >

Porter, TX - INFO

Porter, TX - INFO

Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Emmas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Porter, TX - INFO

Hi All,

Would you be able to give me any reviews/opinions on Porter, TX.

We are likely to be staying at Villas in the valley ranch for 4-6 months.

My husband will be working in Humble, so not too bad a drive for him. I won't be working.

I can't really find much info on Porter when I google, and nothing recent comes up when I search here.

Thank you... I've also posted this over in city data.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Porter, TX - INFO

Looks like its a suburb of Houston, probably the people from Houston will answer your question. But looking up Houston might get you more answers. My daughter lives in Houston near Cypresswood which doesn't seem that far from Porter and she likes it although she is moving to New Mexico soon. Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, been in Houston close to 10 years, but had to google Porter
There are few people on here out in the Woodlands, which isn't far from Porter, so maybe they'll be able to help a bit more. Good luck with the move!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 8:00 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Sorry, been in Houston close to 10 years, but had to google Porter
There are few people on here out in the Woodlands, which isn't far from Porter, so maybe they'll be able to help a bit more. Good luck with the move!
Me too and I've been here even longer
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:22 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty useless, aren't we
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

::raises hand:: I know a little about Porter. It's a small town that the Houston urban sprawl is catching up to, much like Sugarland and Katy were 50 years ago.

So going north from Humble on Hwy 59, you have Kingwood over to the east which is carved out of the woods and is a very nice master-planned community. It's where I would pick if I was going to live on the northeast side of H-town. It's wooded with hike and bike trails with a mix of shops and restaurants. It seems safe to walk or bike and is all shady and woodsy. I would say is suburban professionals.

So then go north on 59 maybe 4-5 miles and theres Porter. It's vibe is rural Texas and redneck. But it has a Walmart and fast food joints and gas stations, all of which look a bit tatty. It would be definite culture shock, but you will have great stories to tell the folks back home.

Developers are building housing estates so there are new places that seem more like they were formerly cotton fields---ie, no trees. But the houses are new and nice.

Valley Ranch is probably another 1-2 miles up the freeway and is in the middle of nowhere. You would definitely need a car to do anything so you may get real bored in the apartment all day. Valley Ranch is about the last place of new development with wide open spaces around it. There are no shops or libraries or activities you would walk or bike to that I know of.

We ate at a steak house in Porter...maybe the nicest restaurant in town. So this is what it was like. country music blaring; beer signs, old licence plates, and redneck signs covering the walls, everybody had on a t-shirt with some big saying on it or a short sleeve plaid shirt. My British husband was a bloody novelty/tourist attraction. Everybody was very nice.

But you're only there for a short stay and 7-8 miles down the freeway you will find nicer shops, restaurants, doctors and dentists, and a mall.