Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Port and Cheese

Port and Cheese

Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:15 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
Lady, would that be sausage toad or chop toad? What time is dinner?
I actually bought some beer sausages today, about 6 ish OK for you?
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
... and while we are on the Thanksgiving subject, what on earth is that green bean / mushroom soup / crispy somethingorother on top dish that is always trotted out. One boggles at the thought process that put that together for the first time.

My suspicion is that someone was cooking green beans one Thanksgiving years ago, and the requisite TV football game induced in the cook waht can only be called a grand mal siezure. When the poor cook came round, the kitchen was a disaster area of beans, mushroom soup, and those unidentifyable crunchy things. Rather than throw it away and start again, the cook scooped the whole mess into a casserole and served it with the turkey in the hope that Uncle Bubba was too drunk to notice.

The rest as they say is history.

There's a mushroom soup theme in the U.S. There's another one that involves a tin of tuna fish, noodles, frozen peas, "pasturized processed American cheese food", and, of course, a can of the mushroom soup. Unidentifiable crunchy things may be added to taste.

The thing I like about Thanksgiving here are those convenient self-carving turkeys. You put them in the oven at about 6:00 a.m., and at about 6:00p.m. you pull them out, put them on the table and touch them lightly with the carving fork, whereupon they fall apart. This is where the marshmallow/sweet potato thing comes in handy to stick it all back together again.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:07 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Lion in Winter ...marshmallow/sweet potato thing comes in handy to stick it all back together again.
So, this marshmallow dish is the culinary equivalent of Artex then? I can feel a tastefull "Festival Of Britain" sponge texture design coming on...

A little known fact is that marshmallow is actually a bona fide chemical element, with it's own niche in the periodic table of elements. This is actually a characteristic it shares with Artex... I know this because I once asked a painter and decorator what Artex is made from, and his answer was that it isn't made from anything - it is made of Artex. Come to think of it, I think the paint fumes may have been having an effect on him.