Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Port and Cheese

Port and Cheese

Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

alabama_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Port and Cheese

Well today I tried getting the wife to try Port and cheese. Her reaction was " the cheese is lovely but who the hell thought of mixing cheese and port"

Anyone else found major differences in food likes / dislikes on the other side of the pond?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port and Cheese

Originally posted by alabama_bound
Well today I tried getting the wife to try Port and cheese. Her reaction was " the cheese is lovely but who the hell thought of mixing cheese and port"

Anyone else found major differences in food likes / dislikes on the other side of the pond?
The US (Southern?) fondness for melting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. My mother-in-law has done this and I gamely tried it but once is enough. The potatoes were sweet enough without adding the marshmallows.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:32 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port and Cheese

Originally posted by NC Penguin
The US (Southern?) fondness for melting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. My mother-in-law has done this and I gamely tried it but once is enough. The potatoes were sweet enough without adding the marshmallows.

NC Penguin

Oh Gawd, yeah I've had that too. Had it as part of the Christmas dinner at our friends house last year, along with that green bean casserole everyone does.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 5:36 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

... and while we are on the Thanksgiving subject, what on earth is that green bean / mushroom soup / crispy somethingorother on top dish that is always trotted out. One boggles at the thought process that put that together for the first time.

My suspicion is that someone was cooking green beans one Thanksgiving years ago, and the requisite TV football game induced in the cook waht can only be called a grand mal siezure. When the poor cook came round, the kitchen was a disaster area of beans, mushroom soup, and those unidentifyable crunchy things. Rather than throw it away and start again, the cook scooped the whole mess into a casserole and served it with the turkey in the hope that Uncle Bubba was too drunk to notice.

The rest as they say is history.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 5:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
... and while we are on the Thanksgiving subject, what on earth is that green bean / mushroom soup / crispy somethingorother on top dish that is always trotted out. One boggles at the thought process that put that together for the first time.

My suspicion is that someone was cooking green beans one Thanksgiving years ago, and the requisite TV football game induced in the cook waht can only be called a grand mal siezure. When the poor cook came round, the kitchen was a disaster area of beans, mushroom soup, and those unidentifyable crunchy things. Rather than throw it away and start again, the cook scooped the whole mess into a casserole and served it with the turkey in the hope that Uncle Bubba was too drunk to notice.

The rest as they say is history.
Love the description of how the dish was "created". Move over Emeril, your days are over. Welcome Stumpyguy!

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Paul W is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are a few weird things; fluff' nutter sandwiches, headcheese, maple syrup on bacon, the dip where they mix dry onion soup mix and sour cream, twinkies, the blooming onion.......
Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:35 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

was recently exposed to

1) Chilli 'n' Mac
2) Creamed Chipped Beef

God I get jip just at the thought....then again, have you ever tried to explain to an American the strange combination that is "toad in the hole"
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Another thing is it me or is the use of cinnamon in the US a little excessive? chewing gum, toothpaste, coffee, cereal, bagels Is it some kind of soma
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:21 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Paul W
Another thing is it me or is the use of cinnamon in the US a little excessive? chewing gum, toothpaste, coffee, cereal, bagels Is it some kind of soma
It also tastes quite different to the way I remember it tasting in England. Do they use something else here and call it cinnamon?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

I only remember cinnamon from the UK when my mum made apple pies and thats too long ago to make any comparison. Although I used to drink this coffee at work when I first got here and could never figure out what the taste was. Then one day I saw someone pouring cinnamon powder into the coffee and it all made sense!!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:38 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
was recently exposed to

1) Chilli 'n' Mac
2) Creamed Chipped Beef

God I get jip just at the thought....then again, have you ever tried to explain to an American the strange combination that is "toad in the hole"
Ooh that's worth cooking soon (toad in the hole, that is) I'm trying to kid myself it's the autumn, even though the temp is still hitting 80 most days.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:26 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Ooh that's worth cooking soon (toad in the hole, that is) I'm trying to kid myself it's the autumn, even though the temp is still hitting 80 most days.
Lady, would that be sausage toad or chop toad? What time is dinner?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:33 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I kid you not.... my mother-in-law puts dessert on the same plate and your dinner!

I just wonder why from year to year, but will never ask why!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone come across that delicacy on serve yourself salad bars apparently called pineapple bliss, its kinda green, has pineapple, coconut and marshmallow and celery. I havent tried it, i was in shock !

very strange people over 'ere eh ?

Jan
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:53 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Has anyone come across that delicacy on serve yourself salad bars apparently called pineapple bliss, its kinda green, has pineapple, coconut and marshmallow and celery. I havent tried it, i was in shock !

very strange people over 'ere eh ?

Jan
Bleh, bleh... I knew that was celery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.