British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Poor quality sports games chants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/poor-quality-sports-games-chants-410830/)

BritGuyTN Nov 29th 2006 8:23 pm

Poor quality sports games chants

Having been to all manner of sports games here, I have realised that the Americans have got very poor chants.

They mainly utilize the word 'suck' and its applied in a very 'lame' way.

Like when the announcer reads out the names of the opposing ice hockey team, after each player, the crowd yells 'sucks', as in 'bob jones'.... 'sucks' :rolleyes:

I've tried to educate some of my local with some old favourites like

'the referees a wanker'

and

'it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know your here, NOW **** OFF HOME'

has anyone encountered any decent chants not including the word 'suck'?

dan_alford Nov 29th 2006 8:45 pm

Re: Poor quality sports games chants

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Having been to all manner of sports games here, I have realised that the Americans have got very poor chants.

They mainly utilize the word 'suck' and its applied in a very 'lame' way.

Like when the announcer reads out the names of the opposing ice hockey team, after each player, the crowd yells 'sucks', as in 'bob jones'.... 'sucks' :rolleyes:

I've tried to educate some of my local with some old favourites like

'the referees a wanker'

and

'it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know your here, NOW **** OFF HOME'

has anyone encountered any decent chants not including the word 'suck'?

There is that timeless classic "Defense! Defense! Defense!" :rolleyes:

Bob Nov 29th 2006 10:44 pm

Nope....and when anyone hears some of those on the footie, they are a bit surprised :D

BritGuyTN Nov 29th 2006 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
There is that timeless classic "Defense! Defense! Defense!" :rolleyes:

Aha

Theres a particularly voiciferous section of nutters who watch my local NHL team, I've toyed with the idea of drafting a crib sheet, printing 150 copies and distributing to them.

with the appropriate instructions it could be funny. The downside could be my investment may be wasted as I'm not sure about their literacy....

peterbainham Nov 29th 2006 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Nope....and when anyone hears some of those on the footie, they are a bit surprised :D

So was Finidi George when he arrived at Ipswich Town many years ago to chants of:

"Finidi-oh, Finidi-oh,
He comes from Africa,
He drives a big tractor,"

Poor boy had probably never been on a tractor in his life.

Rushman Nov 29th 2006 10:55 pm

I found that "Have the little bastards ankles" did'nt go down too well at my boys "modified soccer" games.

BigDavyG Nov 30th 2006 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Rushman
I found that "Have the little bastards ankles" did'nt go down too well at my boys "modified soccer" games.

Do the father's of the opposition get back at you by singing "Chim Chiminey, Chim Chiminey, Chim Chim Cherou" ??

Sally Nov 30th 2006 3:50 am

What does "suck" actually mean, anyway?

Rushman Nov 30th 2006 5:21 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Do the father's of the opposition get back at you by singing "Chim Chiminey, Chim Chiminey, Chim Chim Cherou" ??

About as much as they sing "Danny boy" in a dodgy accent to you.