British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pool covers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pool-covers-772115/)

GeoffM Sep 19th 2012 6:47 pm

Pool covers

Anybody have an opinion on what type of pool covers work best for retaining heat at night and heating during the day? We've got a flat cover, bubble wrap type of thing but it's ripped at the seams. Wondering whether to get the same again or a bunch of solar rings. The pool is irregularly shaped so getting a flat cover on is a bit of a PITA - but it's probably better for retaining heat at night as it completely covers the pool.

The pool ranges from 3' to 8' in depth, if that makes a difference. No automatic pool cleaners or anything fancy like that.

Oh, and if we went for solar rings, what kind of percentage coverage... which I'm guessing is a length of a piece of string question.

mamasue Sep 19th 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Pool covers

Don't bother with solar rings... they're a waste of time and money.
We have a 'bubble cover' through the summer... it keeps the heat in pretty well.
If you don't have any type of heater....consider the black solar heaters....
If you don't have one....it's a 20ft long plastic thing that lives in the sun... and as the water runs through from the pump to the pool, it gets heated.
We had a gas heater before, and it was ridiculously expensive to run.. this solar heater costs nothing apart from the initial outlay... and it heats the pool by at least 10 degrees.

GeoffM Sep 19th 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 10289781)
Don't bother with solar rings... they're a waste of time and money.
We have a 'bubble cover' through the summer... it keeps the heat in pretty well.
If you don't have any type of heater....consider the black solar heaters....
If you don't have one....it's a 20ft long plastic thing that lives in the sun... and as the water runs through from the pump to the pool, it gets heated.
We had a gas heater before, and it was ridiculously expensive to run.. this solar heater costs nothing apart from the initial outlay... and it heats the pool by at least 10 degrees.

Thanks. Back in April/May when I moved in the pool was a chilly low 70s. Leaving the cover on got it up to low 80s. During August we haven't had the cover on at all and it's stayed in the mid 80s. Now it's cooling off again, I'm hoping we can get a few more weeks of free heating with a decent cover. We've got a heater but we only use it for the jacuzzi which ti can heat to a toasty 95 for a few dollars. Heating the pool itself at $6/hr at maybe 1 degree per hour isn't an option!

mayhemuk Sep 20th 2012 5:38 pm

Keep an eye on craigslist for second hand good quality solar panels.
Or the basic plastic ones will last a few seasons if placed well.
You don't need a massive array to extend the season a bit.
Not tried the sun rings but apparently they are a def no if you catch a breeze at all!

Or buy a wetsuit? ;-)

GeoffM Sep 20th 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 10291167)
Keep an eye on craigslist for second hand good quality solar panels.
Or the basic plastic ones will last a few seasons if placed well.
You don't need a massive array to extend the season a bit.

I've not noticed any but haven't really been looking. We're in a rented house and, to be honest, it's us that have damaged the cover. Maybe it was a crap one to begin with but I doubt the landlord would see it that way! Question is whether I buy el cheapo (it'd be rather unlikely to fit another pool if we move) or the deluxe model with thicker skins and better heating/retaining properties along with cost savings.

Not tried the sun rings but apparently they are a def no if you catch a breeze at all!

The ones I've seen come with loops to dangle weights from - but you have to buy the weights as well!

Or buy a wetsuit? ;-)

:D