Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poll: Bush unpopular in Britain

Poll: Bush unpopular in Britain

Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:28 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll: Bush unpopular in Britain

LONDON, England (AP) -- Many people in Britain believe the international standing of the United States has suffered under President George W. Bush and dislike his handling of the situation in Iraq, according to an opinion poll published in London's Times newspaper.

Bush and his wife, Laura, will make a three-day state visit to Britain next week and will be the guests of Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace. Prime Minister Tony Blair has been Washington's closest ally in the war on terror and its main coalition partner in Iraq, but many Britons opposed the war to dislodge Saddam Hussein and have criticized Blair's strong relationship with Bush.

In a poll published in The Times Tuesday, 59 percent of respondents said America's standing in the world has diminished under Bush's presidency, while 60 percent disapproved of his handling of the situation in Iraq.

Forty-seven percent said Bush didn't seem up to the job of being U.S. President, while 40 percent believed Britain benefits from the close relationship between Bush and Blair.

Regarding the war in Iraq, 49 percent believed that military action was the wrong thing to do, while 37 percent believed the opposite.

Blair said Monday that he accepted many people were opposed to the war, but insisted they should support attempts to restore stability and order to Iraq.

He also conceded that Bush's November 19-21 visit would spark protests, but defended the U.S.-led coalition's efforts to bring democracy to the Middle Eastern nation.

"In eight days time, President Bush makes his state visit to the United Kingdom," Blair said in a foreign policy speech at the Lord Mayor of London's annual banquet. "For many the script of this visit has already been written. There will be demonstrations. His friends wonder at the timing, his enemies rub their hands at what they see as the potential embarrassment.

"I believe this is exactly the right time for the president of the United States to come."

Andrew Burgin, spokesman for the Stop the War Coalition, said the group hoped for 60,000 people to join an "Unwelcome Bush" march through central London November 20. In Trafalgar Square, the group plans to pull down a specially erected statue of Bush, the coalition's Web site said.

"Protest if you will, that is your democratic right," said Blair. "Attack the decision to go to war, though have the integrity to realize that without it, those Iraqis now tasting freedom would still be under the lash of Saddam, his sons and their henchmen."

The Populus polling agency interviewed 964 adults by telephone between Nov. 7-9 for The Times survey. The margin of error was 3 percentage points.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:34 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Polaris_x is going to accuse me of hating bush again isn't he!

See its not just me that thinks he is an incompetant ****wit who you wouldn't put in charge of the french fries at McDonalds, its the entire British Nation. Its not just me that beleives that there was no reason to illegally invade and occupy Iraq when they where complying with UN Weapons Inspectors.

Patrick
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
..... its the entire British Nation. .....
Yeah, the same "entire British nation" that voted for Tony Blah and that thinks the sun shines out of his @rse.* Sweeping generalizations are invariably incorrect, and especially so when produced by opinion polsters.

Isn't it odd how the results of most opinion polls tend to reflect the views of the organization that paid for the poll?

* I am not saying that only TB's supporters dislike Bush, I'm just making the point that such generalizations are nonsense.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:45 am
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yeah, the same "entire British nation" that voted for Tony Blah and that thinks the sun shines out of his @rse.* Sweeping generalizations are invariably incorrect, and especially so when produced by opinion polsters.

Isn't it odd how the results of most opinion polls tend to reflect the views of the organization that paid for the poll?

* I am not saying that only TB's supporters dislike Bush, I'm just making the point that such generalizations are nonsense.
Someones being a grouchy bear tonight!

If this was the Guardian I would agree with you but the Times and the Sun have been pro-Blair, pro-Bush and pro-war. 59% may not be the entire British Nation but it is still a big number.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 12th 2003 at 3:58 am.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yeah, the same "entire British nation" that voted for Tony Blah and that thinks the sun shines out of his @rse.*
Yeah, but the ranks of those who think the sun shines out of it are dwindling, while those that think his own head is too far up it to allow the sunlight out are growing...
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Someones being a grouchy bear tonight!

If this was the Guardian I would agree with you but the Times and the Sun have been pro-Blair, pro-Bush and pro-war. 59% may not be the entire British Nation but it is still a big number.

Patrick
The Sun is hardly an arbitor of intellegent thought. Both of those rage are owened by Murdoch & are therefore biased to his views.

Personally I think bush has the iq of a plant.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 12:01 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

I think you're being very generous
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:25 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I hope someone has been storing up some stinky rotten eggs and practicing their shot...to hit that Dubya ijut smack bang in the face.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:05 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

I disagree. I think he is smart enough (although not Clinton Genius smart) but he is uncaring, callous and a downright ignorant man. He does what he does because he knows no different. Its is a lack of compassion, emapthy and understanding that drives his decisions. How would you understand the needs of ordinary people if you had an entirely privilaged life? never been hungry or poor or worried about having a job. Never worked hard in school because daddy will make it right in the end. Thats who he is but stupid i dont think so.

Did you see George Soros remarks?http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in582932.shtml

now theres someone who dislikes him to the tune of $15.5 million so far.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:19 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

There's going to be a planned mass protest when he arrives.
Expecting about 60,000 people.

Blair is accepting it: "Well.. we live in a democracy."

BUT - The police plan to use ANTI TERRORISM laws to arrest any misbehaving protestors.
(Off to Guantanamo Bay with you then...)

---
Red Ken is having disagreements with U.S. Secret Service over security ==>
Security tension over Bush visit

George Bush's three-day visit to London next week is prompting tension between US security agents and Ken Livingstone.
American officials are demanding an exclusion zone round the president, while the London mayor wants to keep the city as "open as possible". *

Police are planning a £4m security operation to cope with an estimated 100,000 anti-war protesters.

Scotland Yard says it will facilitate lawful demonstrations, but campaigners suspect they will not be allowed to march through Whitehall, Parliament Square or the Mall.

Road closures will not be revealed until the last minute for security reasons, say police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3260415.stm

*So they can get a clear shot at him.
"President" Bush will be bringing 700 staff with him.
For 3 days.
700 people.
Transport, hotels, meals, security...
All bring paid for by the American taxpayer.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, to be blunt, lets face it the man is utterly useless. He only got into power because his brother happened to be governor of Florida and the Florida state supreme court was run by Republicans. He has the IQ of a gnat and cannot string a decent sentence together let alone have an original thought of his own. He is surviving thanks in large part to the dinosaurs who were part of his fathers administration - way to go dubya. The sooner he is put out to pasture the better for all of us.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Bush unpopular in Britain

LONDON, England (AP) -- Many people in Britain believe the international standing of the United States has suffered under President George W. Bush and dislike his handling of the situation in Iraq, according to an opinion poll published in London's Times newspaper.
<snip>
In a poll published in The Times Tuesday, 59 percent of respondents said America's standing in the world has diminished under Bush's presidency, while 60 percent disapproved of his handling of the situation in Iraq.
<snip>
You know, the newspapers in the Uk always were targetted at the lowest common denominator, in terms of IQ, weren't they. Everyone and his damn dog has a point of view and everyone wants to find a newspaper article to support their point of view. It doesn't matter if the newspaper is the UK Times or the Iraq Independent (!), if any newspaper proposes and then publishes a controversial poll then you are going to get a larger percentage of people voting for the 'point' than against. If that didn't happen then the newspaper wouldn't publish, plus people that are happy with the situation and don't want to leap on the bandwagon of the 'point' just stay quiet.
PLUS, read the article again! 59% of RESPONDENTS!!!! This could be 0.00000001% of the population!
So both Patrick's and the London Times' proposal that 'Many people in Britain believe.....' is just pandering to the morons who read headlines and not information.

Sorry guys, I don't often post in here but I get sick to the back teeth of newspapers being used as justification for one person's particular point of view. If you believe that Bush is a pratt, then fine, but don't go lumping in the whole UK population with that veiwpoint on the basis of a newspaper article written, surprise surprise, to sell papers.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:36 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Jxab12
Well, to be blunt, lets face it the man is utterly useless. He only got into power because his brother happened to be governor of Florida and the Florida state supreme court was run by Republicans. He has the IQ of a gnat and cannot string a decent sentence together let alone have an original thought of his own. He is surviving thanks in large part to the dinosaurs who were part of his fathers administration - way to go dubya. The sooner he is put out to pasture the better for all of us.
I dont entirely disagree with your sentiments although i would say whilst Gov Jeb Bush and Sec of state(now congresswoman)Katherine Harris undoubtedly did work hard to disenfranchise many black people and twist the results to favour W the Florida Supreme Court did not support the Bush appeals and had it been left to them there would have been full recount. It was the Sumpreme courts 5-4 majority who overturned years of their own precedents to interfere in what was clearly a states rights issue under the spurious federal equality argument they put forward. they are to blame not the Florida courts.

Mind you i agree the sooner he goes the better for the whole world.

regards,
Duncan
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:40 am
Pagan Sex God

Default Re: Poll: Bush unpopular in Britain

Originally posted by AndySmithers
PLUS, read the article again! 59% of RESPONDENTS!!!! This could be 0.00000001% of the population!
So both Patrick's and the London Times' proposal that 'Many people in Britain believe.....' is just pandering to the morons who read headlines and not information.

Sorry guys, I don't often post in here but I get sick to the back teeth of newspapers being used as justification for one person's particular point of view. If you believe that Bush is a pratt, then fine, but don't go lumping in the whole UK population with that veiwpoint on the basis of a newspaper article written, surprise surprise, to sell papers.
oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that