Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Political Question

Political Question

Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:56 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Political Question

If you were to discuss the ideas, concepts & processes that were important to understanding American politics, what would you say?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:01 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Question

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
If you were to discuss the ideas, concepts & processes that were important to understanding American politics, what would you say?
I'd start off with "brainwashed" and it would probably all go downhill from there.

Best I stay out of this one, I think
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What a loaded question! I guess a brief perusal of Al Franken, Molly Ivins vs Ann Coulter and Brit Hume might serve to define the two extremes

Okay, I think I'm going for a swim now
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:18 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I'd start off with "brainwashed" and it would probably all go downhill from there.

Also staying out of this one, had a great weekend and don't want to ruin it
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

Really wasn't meant to be controversial. I was just looking for a shopping list of ideas, concepts and processes.

Fact is I'm doing a political science class because I wanted to learn about the American political system. And thats basically my first question.

My response would be that I don't know which ideas, concepts and processes that are important to know about in order to understand how things get done in American politics. That's what I'm there to learn!!!

AAArrrrggghhhhhhh!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:28 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Declaration of Independence, the Bill of rights, the Constitution and subsequent amendments are probably a good place to start ?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My response would be that I don't know which ideas, concepts and processes that are important to know about in order to understand how things get done in American politics. That's what I'm there to learn!!!
That's because $$$$ is not an idea, but is the spirit of the concept, and the goal of the process.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Californis Bride - Hi:

I had no idea about this, but it sounds interesting so I asked my US husband.

Hmmmm - I've tried to do a precis of what he thinks about it:-

The American system of government, in theory should provide an ideal model of government. 3 levels - Legislative (Senate and House of Reps), Executive and Judicial. All elected apart from Supreme Court Judges.
However, (he thinks) the trouble is that instead of concentrating on making plans and passing laws which will make the country work better, they spend at least half their elected terms planning how to get re-elected and working with only THAT goal in mind. This creates Special Interest Groups, political favouritism and many other ills - most connected with $$$$$$

Not sure if that's the kind of thing you meant??
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Checks and balances -- but monkey boy's masters are quickly getting rid of those.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Great concept, great constitution, the rest of it.....

Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:40 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Great concept, great constitution, the rest of it.....
That's pretty much where I went with it!

Thanks everyone for their input. Bloody thing is we don't even get a grade, he just wants to know 'where we are'. Well I started with 'no taxation without representation', a lot of spilt tea and a mad king. Then a war, a flag still flying at daybreak, a declaration a constitution then liberty and justice for all. Supposedly.....