British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Political Commercials (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/political-commercials-248385/)

dgsyd1 Aug 12th 2004 7:30 pm

Political Commercials

Is anyone else amazed just how negative and totally relentless US election advertising is? It's proof that alowing political commercials on television is a really bad idea. I keep expecting to see an advert that starts with something like "Did you know that George W Bush/John Kerry eats babies?" Some of these adverts are so bad they're funny, I've seen a couple during sitcom ad breaks that were funnier than the sitcom.
Both sides of guilty of this, although the Bush team seems to be running a much more negative campaign at the moment (that could change though). My own opinion is that both sides should spend more time saying what good they'd do, rather than the bad things the other side does. But if there's one thing I've learned in the 4 years I've lived here, it's that American advertisers like to frighten you into buying their product, so why should political adverts be any different?

Daniel

Duncs Aug 13th 2004 12:54 am

Re: Political Commercials

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Is anyone else amazed just how negative and totally relentless US election advertising is? It's proof that alowing political commercials on television is a really bad idea. I keep expecting to see an advert that starts with something like "Did you know that George W Bush/John Kerry eats babies?" Some of these adverts are so bad they're funny, I've seen a couple during sitcom ad breaks that were funnier than the sitcom.
Both sides of guilty of this, although the Bush team seems to be running a much more negative campaign at the moment (that could change though). My own opinion is that both sides should spend more time saying what good they'd do, rather than the bad things the other side does. But if there's one thing I've learned in the 4 years I've lived here, it's that American advertisers like to frighten you into buying their product, so why should political adverts be any different?

Daniel

By neccessity the 30 sec format of a TV ad needs to use all the techniques of advertising to sell a political candidate or message. How do you promote a more nuanced and positive message in 30 secs? Besides which every survey done has people claiming they dont like negative ads but in every campaign negative ads influence how people vote. Thats why they get used. If we ever wanted to change it we need to ban all paid political ads from TV and have free public service style 5 minutes broadcasts for all parties in the election a la the UK's Party Political Broadcast system. This would also have the added bonus of removing a lot of the need for money in campaigning as it would enormously reduce the cost of campaigns. Most of the money goes on TV ads. So of course it wont happen as it would take millions out of the pockets of TV companies and consultants who will buy off congress to ensure it never happens. Isn't democracy great! :(

jambo_2004 Aug 13th 2004 1:23 am

Daniel

Alright Dave...

edwords Aug 13th 2004 4:05 pm

Daniel

That's why I love my PVR--I just fast-forward through all that junk.