Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

police report

police report

Old May 10th 2002, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Sheri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police report

At age 16 I was arrested for shoplifting and did 10hrs of community service. I went to family court as a youth under the young offenders act. I have no idea how to provide evidence. I went to the court where it happenned and they told me my court records are destroyed because I was a minor and there is a protection law for minors in Canada. I asked if they could write me a letter stating that I have no record, it has been destroyed, but they said they don't do that. What do I do now? How do I obtain documents to give to INS to show this?? Any ideas? Anyone go through the same thing?
Old May 10th 2002, 10:20 pm
Destiny Darke

Default Re: police report

You should be able to get a criminal check done at your local police station. It
costs around $20.00 and will state that you have no crimial record. "Sheri"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > At age 16 I was arrested for shoplifting and did 10hrs of community service. I went
    > to family court as a youth under the young offenders act. I have no idea how to
    > provide evidence. I went to the court where it happenned and they told me my court
    > records are destroyed because I was a minor and there is a protection law for
    > minors in Canada. I asked if they could write me a letter stating that I have no
    > record, it has been destroyed, but they said they don't do that. What do I do now?
    > How do I obtain documents to give to INS to show this?? Any ideas? Anyone go
    > through the same thing?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 11th 2002, 11:20 am
Bonnie M

Sheri You need to have a check done by the RCMP. I had mine done in London Ont and it
took about 15 minutes. Bonnie "Sheri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > At age 16 I was arrested for shoplifting and did 10hrs of community service. I went
    > to family court as a youth under the young offenders act. I have no idea how to
    > provide evidence. I went to the court where it happenned and they told me my court
    > records are destroyed because I was a minor and there is a protection law for
    > minors in Canada. I asked if they could write me a letter stating that I have no
    > record, it has been destroyed, but they said they don't do that. What do I do now?
    > How do I obtain documents to give to INS to show this?? Any ideas? Anyone go
    > through the same thing?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 13th 2002, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Sheri is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I'm asking is I was referred to something called, the Alternative Measures program and the charges were withdrawn. The only reason the government does this is so when I get/got older I would not have a record and would not have problems doing things like getting an American visa. So do I say NO, when it asks if I was ever arrested? It seems redundant to say yes when I can provide no proof what-so-ever that I was, that I was in here-said program or that the charges were withdrawn, other than the fact that my police record says I don't have one? Am I just being paranoid???