Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are police certificates only required at Embassy interview?

Are police certificates only required at Embassy interview?

Old Nov 12th 2011, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

pinky79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are police certificates only required at Embassy interview?

The I-129f form is in initial review status in California, i have already got my police certificates 1 for the UK & 1 for Australia as i lived there for over 12 months (not sure if i have got them a bit too early) & was wasn't sure if they are only required at the interview in london or if they are required at a later stage eg for adjustment of status? I am concerned if i have to use them again when in the US 12 months may arrive & the certificates may be out of date.

Also i'm not sure if this will be an issue but i previously was on an australian visa & had a change of circumstances so i moved back to the UK, my australian visa was then cancelled due to the change of circumstances (the reason i was on the visa was no longer applicable). Does anyone think i will come across any problems because of this? The cancelled visa is in my old passport.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are police certificates only required at Embassy interview?

Originally Posted by pinky79
The I-129f form is in initial review status in California, i have already got my police certificates 1 for the UK & 1 for Australia as i lived there for over 12 months (not sure if i have got them a bit too early) & was wasn't sure if they are only required at the interview in london or if they are required at a later stage eg for adjustment of status? I am concerned if i have to use them again when in the US 12 months may arrive & the certificates may be out of date.

Also i'm not sure if this will be an issue but i previously was on an australian visa & had a change of circumstances so i moved back to the UK, my australian visa was then cancelled due to the change of circumstances (the reason i was on the visa was no longer applicable). Does anyone think i will come across any problems because of this? The cancelled visa is in my old passport.
If your police cert runs out and it's needed further on down the line can't you just apply for another one?
Visas cancelled without prejudice aren't usually a problem...I have a couple of them in my own passport.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... was wasn't sure if they are only required at the interview in london or if they are required at a later stage eg for adjustment of status?
You won't need them once you're in the US and file to adjust your status. The US will do their own background checks.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You won't need them once you're in the US and file to adjust your status. The US will do their own background checks.

Ian
+1

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

The UK police certificate will also be required at the medical exam which will be before the interview. The interview is the last time it will be needed.

Australian police certificates have to run your fingerprints. Did you go to one of the UK police forces to have your fingerprints captured for the Australian police certificate? If not, it will be rejected at the interview.

UK police certificates are valid one year. Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless the applicant has traveled to the country in the last year.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

I got the fingerprints done at a UK police station & provided them to the Australian police for the check. So the Australian police certificate will not expire as i will not be going back there?

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I got the fingerprints done at a UK police station & provided them to the Australian police for the check.
Good!. Was just mentioning it since I know someone who interviewed Monday and didn't read that fingerprint bit on the London website. So now they wait for a new police report.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

True.2.form will become famous soon enoughTrue.2.form will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moxie
The UK police certificate will also be required at the medical exam which will be before the interview. The interview is the last time it will be needed.

Australian police certificates have to run your fingerprints. Did you go to one of the UK police forces to have your fingerprints captured for the Australian police certificate? If not, it will be rejected at the interview.

UK police certificates are valid one year. Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless the applicant has traveled to the country in the last year.
My own experience for K1 contradicts this.

Yes the UK Police Certificate had to be furnished at my medical and then at my K1 interview but my Australian Federal Police certificate (and this was a pain in the rear as I had to go to New Scotland yard for the finger prints and then courier to Oz) was never asked for once at my interview.

The Oz doc hadnt even been returned to me before my interview so I was stressing out thinking the interview / visa approval would be rejected without it, but they never asked once.

I believe as long as you have a police check / cert for the main country you reside in or are from, then that is the main thing, any secondary certificates can be produced later.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by True.2.form
My own experience for K1 contradicts this.

Yes the UK Police Certificate had to be furnished at my medical and then at my K1 interview but my Australian Federal Police certificate (and this was a pain in the rear as I had to go to New Scotland yard for the finger prints and then courier to Oz) was never asked for once at my interview.

The Oz doc hadnt even been returned to me before my interview so I was stressing out thinking the interview / visa approval would be rejected without it, but they never asked once.

I believe as long as you have a police check / cert for the main country you reside in or are from, then that is the main thing, any secondary certificates can be produced later.
I think they just overlooked your list of countries you have lived in since age 16 for a period longer than 12 months. It is true you can provide a missing certificate later if they ask for it at the interview, but you don't receive the visa until the Embassy gets what they need. Luckily the OP has the needed documents in hand.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

True.2.form will become famous soon enoughTrue.2.form will become famous soon enough

I think they just overlooked your list of countries you have lived in since age 16 for a period longer than 12 months. It is true you can provide a missing certificate later if they ask for it at the interview, but you don't receive the visa until the Embassy gets what they need. Luckily the OP has the needed documents in hand.
We were very fortunate to not have been asked for the Australian Federal Police certificate, I've lived, worked and studied there for over 4 yrs and as a result was adamant they would request it.

That is not to say anyone in the future reading this might avoid getting the necessary police checks on the 'off chance' they aren't asked for, I wouldn't recommend doing that at all!!!. As said we were just lucky!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

My only other question is that when i got the certificate done i put the address for them to send it as my mum's address & to address it to her, the certificate does relate to me & has my name clearly on it but has her details at the top. I did this as i wasn't sure if we would have moved out of our house by then, would they really be concerned by the fact it's not address to me?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

My only other question is that when i got the certificate done i put the address for them to send it as my mum's address & to address it to her, the certificate does relate to me & has my name clearly on it but has her details at the top. I did this as i wasn't sure if we would have moved out of our house by then, would they really be concerned by the fact it's not address to me?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
I don't see that as a problem. You're there face to face to tell them your valid reason if they should ask.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

I don't see that as a problem. You're there face to face to tell them your valid reason if they should ask.
I concur with this.