Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Police Certificate (uk) Query-pls Advise

Police Certificate (uk) Query-pls Advise

Old Apr 21st 2002, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

tosh32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Certificate (uk) Query-pls Advise

I'm sure this point has been raised before,but here goes...will one Police Certificate from the National Identification Service at Scotland Yard be sufficient for the interview? I obtained mine via my local police station (in Glasgow),but I also went to uni in Dundee for 5 years and spent 6 months living in Coventry. I assume it's not necessary to approach these police staions aswell? I assume that,at the end of the day,each police station,will pass on the same info to the National Identification Service which will ultimately result in exactly the same Prosecution/Conviction History??? Surely one certificate represents all the place I have lived in the UK???
Another query: someone pointed out that the NIS certificate only covers England and Wales...I've lived most of my life in Scotland...so I'm thinking of obtaining a Scottish Criminal Record Certificate aswell just to cover all my bases (ie the whole of the UK). Any input???
Old Apr 21st 2002, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Police Certificate (uk) Query-pls Advise

Tosh,
Yeah, the one police certificate covers all of England, so you'll be fine with that. I'm don't know the answer to your second question about Scotland...I'd call the embassy (the actual visa branch, not the £1.30/min help line) and find out. The number is 0207 355 3335, between 2-5pm. It takes about 50 tries to get through but it is well worth it.
Good luck!

-Harry
Old Apr 21st 2002, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Whether you apply for the police certificate in Scotland or England, it covers the entire United Kingdom.
Old Apr 21st 2002, 8:40 pm
Aangiela

When my fiance went to get his police certificate, they had two different onesTESTone
for inside of Northern Ireland and one for Outside of Northern Ireland. He's lived in
Northern Ireland all his life, so he got the one for inside of Northern Ireland. I'm
not sure if it's the same for Scottland and Wales, though.

Angie

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:40 pm
Gavin.McCormack

I live in Scotland and in january applied for my certificate. The maim police
station in Glasgow told me that I need one that is a national one........and they
would request it from the central headquarters in England. Whether it covers just
England and Wales I do not know, but the woman arranging it seemed familiar with the
need for it. She also told me she would get me one from the Scottish Headquarters
also (at no extra charge)(police generosity or what) so I ended up with both. That
way I am covered but I actually think the Scotland only one will be of no interest
to the Embassy.

G

tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this point has been raised before,but here goes...will one Police
    > Certificate from the National Identification Service at Scotland Yard be sufficient
    > for the interview? I obtained mine via my local police station (in Glasgow),but I
    > also went to uni in Dundee for 5 years and spent 6 months living in Coventry. I
    > assume it's not necessary to approach these police staions aswell? I assume that,at
    > the end of the day,each police station,will pass on the same info to the National
    > Identification Service which will ultimately result in exactly the same
    > Prosecution/Conviction History??? Surely one certificate represents all the place I
    > have lived in the UK??? Another query: someone pointed out that the NIS certificate
    > only covers England and Wales...I've lived most of my life in Scotland...so I'm
    > thinking of obtaining a Scottish Criminal Record Certificate aswell just to cover
    > all my bases (ie the whole of the UK). Any input???
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:40 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Not exactly true I am afraid. If you get a Scottish certificate from the Scottish
Police it only covers you for records on Scottish file and thereofre not any
potential crimes in the rest of the Uk. The Scottish Police will issue you with a
Scottish one and apply for the National one for the same one fee.......if in Scotland
or lived in Scotland.......best to ask for both to eliminate any worry. Pitt Street
Police Headquarters in Glasgow, will give you directions to the Data Protection Dept,
who in turn will sort it all out for you with the usual police courtesy (sic)

G

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Whether you apply for the police certificate in Scotland or England, it covers the
    > entire United Kingdom.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >

Old Apr 25th 2002, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gavin.McCormack
Not exactly true I am afraid. If you get a Scottish certificate from the Scottish
Police it only covers you for records on Scottish file and thereofre not any
potential crimes in the rest of the Uk. The Scottish Police will issue you with a
Scottish one and apply for the National one for the same one fee.......if in Scotland
or lived in Scotland.......best to ask for both to eliminate any worry. Pitt Street
Police Headquarters in Glasgow, will give you directions to the Data Protection Dept,
who in turn will sort it all out for you with the usual police courtesy (sic)

G

It is, assuming you apply for the *right thing* in Scotland, as you have described in your previous post. That is, a report from the computers of the *National Identification Service*.
Old Apr 26th 2002, 2:40 am
Gavin.McCormack

Whoops sorry Ameriscot...crossed wires......right intention. I re-read your post and
yes you are correct as I tried to be also. If you make clear to the Scottish Police
you want a national report.....then they will send a request off to National
Headquarters. to those a little confused now. Just make it clear what you want and
why. If you just ask for your police record in Scotland.....thats exactly what you
will be issued...which isn't appropriate for K1's etc.

Again, sorry Ameriscot, I was just trying to help those with worries over the
differences.

So for all concerned. ASK FOR A NATIONAL POLICE RECORD no matter where in the UK
you apply.

Ok nothing more to see......move along lol G

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Gavin.McCormack wrote:
    > > Not exactly true I am afraid. If you get a Scottish certificate from
the
    > > Scottish Police it only covers you for records on Scottish file and thereofre
    > > not any potential crimes in the rest of the Uk. The Scottish Police will issue
    > > you with a Scottish one and apply for the National
one
    > > for the same one fee.......if in Scotland or lived in Scotland.......best to
    > > ask for both to eliminate any worry. Pitt
Street
    > > Police Headquarters in Glasgow, will give you directions to the Data Protection
    > > Dept, who in turn will sort it all out for you with the
usual
    > > police courtesy (sic) G
    >
    >
    >
    > It is, assuming you apply for the *right thing* in Scotland, as you have described
    > in your previous post. That is, a report from the computers of the *National
    > Identification Service*.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 pm
Nick Hardy

Hi

The police in Edinburgh told me that Scottich police store records separately to
English and Welsh Police, so you have to apply twice (though just pay the one fee).
Your local Scottish Cop Shop should have application forms for data on the police
national computer (national meaning England and Wales, form mi8 (3/00))) and data on
the scottish criminal record office computer (Form mi7 (3/00)).

They ask for the last 5 years address's, and you get two nice letters from the police
saying they havn't caught you yet.

good luck

Nick

tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm sure this point has been raised before,but here goes...will one Police
    > Certificate from the National Identification Service at Scotland Yard be sufficient
    > for the interview? I obtained mine via my local police station (in Glasgow),but I
    > also went to uni in Dundee for 5 years and spent 6 months living in Coventry. I
    > assume it's not necessary to approach these police staions aswell? I assume that,at
    > the end of the day,each police station,will pass on the same info to the National
    > Identification Service which will ultimately result in exactly the same
    > Prosecution/Conviction History??? Surely one certificate represents all the place I
    > have lived in the UK??? Another query: someone pointed out that the NIS certificate
    > only covers England and Wales...I've lived most of my life in Scotland...so I'm
    > thinking of obtaining a Scottish Criminal Record Certificate aswell just to cover
    > all my bases (ie the whole of the UK). Any input???