British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   POE What treats can we bring into the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/poe-what-treats-can-we-bring-into-us-602000/)

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 8:02 am

POE What treats can we bring into the US?

Based on all the threads running on this show and the sandwich incident on Homeland Security, I am on a need to know basis's!!

Would I be right in assuming that the idea of bringing in goodies,IE chocolate and gravy,piccalli and other naughty stuff, would be a big NO NO and could cause major problems at the POE if found in ones luggage! :confused:

I know most of us have brought the old tea bags and walkers crisps in, BUT where does it stop and start, what we are allowed if anything! :unsure:

snodog Apr 6th 2009 8:09 am

Re: POE What treats can we bring into the US?

We run a major smuggling ring into New England, bringing in Scottish shortbread, Cadbury's chocolate, Jaffa cakes and Hob Nobs.

We've never had any trouble (mind you, we've never been stopped so maybe that helps :) )

As ex UK Customs, I know we made the same fuss as the US about meats and to a lesser extent, fruit from passengers.
Prepackaged confectionery :thumbsup:

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by snodog (Post 7455098)
We run a major smuggling ring into New England, bringing in Scottish shortbread, Cadbury's chocolate, Jaffa cakes and Hob Nobs.

We've never had any trouble (mind you, we've never been stopped so maybe that helps :) )

As ex UK Customs, I know we made the same fuss as the US about meats and to a lesser extent, fruit from passengers.
Prepackaged confectionery :thumbsup:

So the Galaxy and Yorkies bars are a go then :thumbsup: ;)

I have a large box of After Eights and a few other naughtys with me for my midnight snacks and would hate to not comply.

Michael Apr 6th 2009 8:43 am

You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...restricted.xml

tonrob Apr 6th 2009 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 7455082)
Based on all the threads running on this show and the sandwich incident on Homeland Security, I am on a need to know basis's!!

Would I be right in assuming that the idea of bringing in goodies,IE chocolate and gravy,piccalli and other naughty stuff, would be a big NO NO and could cause major problems at the POE if found in ones luggage! :confused:

I know most of us have brought the old tea bags and walkers crisps in, BUT where does it stop and start, what we are allowed if anything! :unsure:

I bring shedloads of stuff through - in fact when on business trips I take an empty bag just for this. I always thought that as long as you avoid things like fresh vegetables/fruit, fish, meat and are very careful about cheese then you're ok. Is there anything new that I don't know about?

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7455444)
I bring shedloads of stuff through - in fact when on business trips I take an empty bag just for this. I always thought that as long as you avoid things like fresh vegetables/fruit, fish, meat and are very careful about cheese then you're ok. Is there anything new that I don't know about?

I flew into Sydney Australia once and they threw all by british chocolate away that was in the authentic box's and sealed. I was not a happy bunny.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 6th 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 7455767)
I flew into Sydney Australia once and they threw all by british chocolate away that was in the authentic box's and sealed. I was not a happy bunny.

:eek: Thats awful.I bet they kept it for themselves :thumbdown:

Titchski Apr 6th 2009 3:19 pm

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I can top having chocolate chucked away. Had a bottle of Laphroig binned by customs in Germany after we were led outside the airport and back in for our connecting flight by the Borderpolizei :(

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2009 3:27 pm

Chocolate is OK...so is hard cheese and tea. Generally beef products...most meat...soft cheese...fruit and veg are not allowed.

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7456040)
:eek: Thats awful.I bet they kept it for themselves :thumbdown:

Yes I bet, real norfolk local made chocolate and fudge the swines :frown:

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 7456132)
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I can top having chocolate chucked away. Had a bottle of Laphroig binned by customs in Germany after we were led outside the airport and back in for our connecting flight by the Borderpolizei :(

Sacralidge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7456163)
Chocolate is OK...so is hard cheese and tea. Generally beef products...most meat...soft cheese...fruit and veg are not allowed.

I hope you're right matey ;) Asda took a severe chocolate decrease earlier today,along with a few other naughty but nice items lol :sneaky:

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 7456211)
Yes I bet, real norfolk local made chocolate and fudge the swines :frown:

Sacralidge

I hope you're right matey ;) Asda took a severe chocolate decrease earlier today,along with a few other naughty but nice items lol :sneaky:

I put candy on the customs form. I have only ever had a problem with tea bags...my cases are usually sent for further screening. They are quickly put through the xray scanner...then I'm on my way.

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7456222)
I put candy on the customs form. I have only ever had a problem with tea bags...my cases are usually sent for further screening. They are quickly put through the xray scanner...then I'm on my way.

Oh you do put Candy on the customs form, I never have but will this time then.

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2009 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 7456234)
Oh you do put Candy on the customs form, I never have but will this time then.

'Candy' covers a whole host of goodies. ;)

BrandonBrit Apr 6th 2009 4:08 pm

I always write 'teabags, chocolate, biscuits and beer' on my customs form, I've been stopped, and the nice chaps always just read it through and then ask if I've been home for a bit and have stocked up on the goodies, to which I reply 'yes' and then I'm on my way.
My Mum did have a tangerine taken off of her though, she forgot to eat it on the plane and it was rolling about the bottom of her handbag, she wasn't a happy bunny about that.
Poppy Girl, one of my cases is always marked 'heavy' at the airport, because like you, I've seriously depleted the chocolate supply in the local Tesco's.
Isn't it fun to watch all those choccie bars go down the conveyor belt and see the check out girls faces, while they wonder what to say to you :o

Poppy girl Apr 6th 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7456239)
'Candy' covers a whole host of goodies. ;)

:thumbsup:;)

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit (Post 7456296)
I always write 'teabags, chocolate, biscuits and beer' on my customs form, I've been stopped, and the nice chaps always just read it through and then ask if I've been home for a bit and have stocked up on the goodies, to which I reply 'yes' and then I'm on my way.
My Mum did have a tangerine taken off of her though, she forgot to eat it on the plane and it was rolling about the bottom of her handbag, she wasn't a happy bunny about that.
Poppy Girl, one of my cases is always marked 'heavy' at the airport, because like you, I've seriously depleted the chocolate supply in the local Tesco's.
Isn't it fun to watch all those choccie bars go down the conveyor belt and see the check out girls faces, while they wonder what to say to you :o

Oh I have the classic reply to that one LOL she asked me if I had a chocolate fetish :o and when I told her I was stocking up for my return home to the US she said .............:eek:"don't they have chocolate in America?:eek:..what could I say except " well thats what they call it but us Brits have our doubts"