Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

POE experience Dulles, Washington

POE experience Dulles, Washington

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default POE experience Dulles, Washington

Hi from Fredericksburg, VA
I arrived at Dulles Apt last Thursday afternoon and as instructed went through the US Citizens line.
Gave the guy our passports, customs form (from the plane)
and presented him with mine and my daughters "Brown envelopes"
"Are these for me" he said.
"Mmmmm" thinks I
Anyway, he had a look at them and realised what they were,
tried to open them muttering about how many staples there were.
He then went to his computer, and started typing, I think I must have had the slowest typing Immigration Officer in the
USA. He called his boss a couple of times to check what he was doing was OK, but he was very pleasant and friendly, perhaps a bit new at the CPR "game"
He then took us to the secondary immigration office, put our folder in a slot on the desk and asked us to sit down.
There were a few people in front of us (it took me back a bit to the interview at the London Embassy)
After about half an hour he called my daughter and I into a little room finger-printed our index fingers twice, we signed two forms and then he gave us our passports with the I-551
already stamped in.
There was a more senior looking guy at the exit to the Immigration Office, who stopped us, looked in our passports,
said "Welcome to America" and we were off.
Our luggage was already on two trolleys in the luggage hall,
and we were through customs in no time.
And there was my wife !! Nice.
From joining the passport control queue until leaving customs was about an hour.
All of the staff were firm but friendly (again a bit like the US Embassy in London)
So here I am.
I went to the SS Office the following day and "registered" and was told they need to check me out with the INS and we should have our SS numbers in a couple of weeks !! (I'll let you know)

So for those that are following, there really was nothing to worry about, quite straightforward really.

I've only been here for less than a week but the stress and
worry of the actual I-130 process seems almost a distant memory and on reflection, I'm now wondering why it was so stressful.
Easier said in hind-sight of course, it certainly wasn't at the time.

So, good luck to all who follow.

Roger (Ida + Katie)
Old Sep 4th 2002, 5:17 am
Sheila

Default Re: POE experience Dulles, Washington

Glad that everything went well for you Roger...I flew back to Louisiana last Thursday
also...Clive is coming in 2 weeks!!! Got Visa today!! Congrat to you three!

--
Cheers, Sheila (U.S.C.) Clive (U.K.C.)

Texas Service Center / London Embassy

6/17/02- Mailed I-129f petition to TSC from the United Kingdom

6/18/02-Received first NOA from TSC

6/19/02-Mailed London Embassy paper work off to open provisional file

6/20/02- Received 2nd NOA from TSC

6/21/02- Received Interview date for London on 9/03/02

6/22/02- Received Visa "rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:405278.1031095810@britishe-
xpats.com
    > Hi from Fredericksburg, VA I arrived at Dulles Apt last Thursday afternoon and as
    > instructed went through the US Citizens line. Gave the guy our passports, customs
    > form (from the plane) and presented him with mine and my daughters "Brown
    > envelopes" "Are these for me" he said. "Mmmmm" thinks I Anyway, he had a look at
    > them and realised what they were, tried to open them muttering about how many
    > staples there were. He then went to his computer, and started typing, I think I
    > must have had the slowest typing Immigration Officer in the USA. He called his boss
    > a couple of times to check what he was doing was OK, but he was very pleasant and
    > friendly, perhaps a bit new at the CPR "game" He then took us to the secondary
    > immigration office, put our folder in a slot on the desk and asked us to sit down.
    > There were a few people in front of us (it took me back a bit to the interview at
    > the London Embassy) After about half an hour he called my daughter and I into a
    > little room finger-printed our index fingers twice, we signed two forms and then he
    > gave us our passports with the I-551 already stamped in. There was a more senior
    > looking guy at the exit to the Immigration Office, who stopped us, looked in our
    > passports, said "Welcome to America" and we were off. Our luggage was already on
    > two trolleys in the luggage hall, and we were through customs in no time. And there
    > was my wife !! Nice. From joining the passport control queue until leaving customs
    > was about an hour. All of the staff were firm but friendly (again a bit like the US
    > Embassy in London) So here I am. I went to the SS Office the following day and
    > "registered" and was told they need to check me out with the INS and we should have
    > our SS numbers in a couple of weeks !! (I'll let you know)
    > So for those that are following, there really was nothing to worry about, quite
    > straightforward really.
    > I've only been here for less than a week but the stress and worry of the actual
    > I-130 process seems almost a distant memory and on reflection, I'm now wondering
    > why it was so stressful. Easier said in hind-sight of course, it certainly wasn't
    > at the time.
    > So, good luck to all who follow.
    > Roger (Ida + Katie)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Hi from Fredericksburg, VA I arrived at Dulles Apt last Thursday afternoon and as instructed went through the US Citizens line.
Gave the guy our passports, customs form (from the plane)
and presented him with mine and my daughters "Brown envelopes"
"Are these for me" he said.
"Mmmmm" thinks I
Anyway, he had a look at them and realised what they were,
tried to open them muttering about how many staples there were.
He then went to his computer, and started typing, I think I must have had the slowest typing Immigration Officer in the
USA. He called his boss a couple of times to check what he was doing was OK, but he was very pleasant and friendly, perhaps a bit new at the CPR "game"
He then took us to the secondary immigration office, put our folder in a slot on the desk and asked us to sit down.
There were a few people in front of us (it took me back a bit to the interview at the London Embassy)
After about half an hour he called my daughter and I into a little room finger-printed our index fingers twice, we signed two forms and then he gave us our passports with the I-551
already stamped in.
There was a more senior looking guy at the exit to the Immigration Office, who stopped us, looked in our passports,
said "Welcome to America" and we were off.
Our luggage was already on two trolleys in the luggage hall,
and we were through customs in no time.
And there was my wife !! Nice.
From joining the passport control queue until leaving customs was about an hour.
All of the staff were firm but friendly (again a bit like the US Embassy in London)
So here I am.
I went to the SS Office the following day and "registered" and was told they need to check me out with the INS and we should have our SS numbers in a couple of weeks !! (I'll let you know)

So for those that are following, there really was nothing to worry about, quite straightforward really.

I've only been here for less than a week but the stress and
worry of the actual I-130 process seems almost a distant memory and on reflection, I'm now wondering why it was so stressful.
Easier said in hind-sight of course, it certainly wasn't at the time.

So, good luck to all who follow.

Roger (Ida + Katie)
WOOHOO, Roger & Co! Congrats on your successful reunion and your new status in the States! You are one of this group's best cheerleaders & now that you have a life (! ! ) you will be missed by those of us still here on the daily basis.
Congrats again and thanks for the update.
mo
6 days til I don't have to be on here every day!
Old Sep 4th 2002, 9:03 am
Des

Congratulations!

-des

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:27 pm
Andy Platt

Congrats. I have to say you were lucky. On the last two occassions I came through
Dulles with AP the secondary inspection was swamped and I-130ers in there were taking
a couple of hours to get out!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "rogerpenycate"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi from Fredericksburg, VA I arrived at Dulles Apt last Thursday afternoon and as
    > instructed went through the US Citizens line. Gave the guy our passports, customs
    > form (from the plane) and presented him with mine and my daughters "Brown
    > envelopes" "Are these for me" he said. "Mmmmm" thinks I Anyway, he had a look at
    > them and realised what they were, tried to open them muttering about how many
    > staples there were. He then went to his computer, and started typing, I think I
    > must have had the slowest typing Immigration Officer in the USA. He called his boss
    > a couple of times to check what he was doing was OK, but he was very pleasant and
    > friendly, perhaps a bit new at the CPR "game" He then took us to the secondary
    > immigration office, put our folder in a slot on the desk and asked us to sit down.
    > There were a few people in front of us (it took me back a bit to the interview at
    > the London Embassy) After about half an hour he called my daughter and I into a
    > little room finger-printed our index fingers twice, we signed two forms and then he
    > gave us our passports with the I-551 already stamped in. There was a more senior
    > looking guy at the exit to the Immigration Office, who stopped us, looked in our
    > passports, said "Welcome to America" and we were off. Our luggage was already on
    > two trolleys in the luggage hall, and we were through customs in no time. And there
    > was my wife !! Nice. From joining the passport control queue until leaving customs
    > was about an hour. All of the staff were firm but friendly (again a bit like the US
    > Embassy in London) So here I am. I went to the SS Office the following day and
    > "registered" and was told they need to check me out with the INS and we should have
    > our SS numbers in a couple of weeks !! (I'll let you know)
    > So for those that are following, there really was nothing to worry about, quite
    > straightforward really.
    > I've only been here for less than a week but the stress and worry of the actual
    > I-130 process seems almost a distant memory and on reflection, I'm now wondering
    > why it was so stressful. Easier said in hind-sight of course, it certainly wasn't
    > at the time.
    > So, good luck to all who follow.
    > Roger (Ida + Katie)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by meauxna:

WOOHOO, Roger & Co! Congrats on your successful reunion and your new status in the States! You are one of this group's best cheerleaders & now that you have a life (! ! ) you will be missed by those of us still here on the daily basis.
Congrats again and thanks for the update.
mo
6 days til I don't have to be on here every day!

meauxna,
Thanks for the wishes, but.........cheerleader ?