Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

POE and connecting flights.

POE and connecting flights.

Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice
Default POE and connecting flights.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering where my POE would be if I was connecting? I know some places take a longer time than others to get through and if I had to get on a few flights to get to my final destination - how would that work?

Would it be best to book my flights way.....way....apart?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE and connecting flights.

Originally Posted by CandyBelle
Hi everyone,

I was wondering where my POE would be if I was connecting? I know some places take a longer time than others to get through and if I had to get on a few flights to get to my final destination - how would that work?

Your POE will normally be the first place your plane lands inside the USA (exceptions being certain airports in Canada or Dublin, I believe, where you actually go through US immigration before getting on the flight).

I'd leave at least 2 or 3 hours between your first landing in the USA and your next connecting flight.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

POE = Port of Entry aka the first place you enter the US.
About 3 hours for a connection is a fair shot at it.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice

Thanks guys

I'll have a look into those elusive long connections that no one wants but I'll snap up! Its not for a long time but I'm excited.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:04 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

I'll have a look into those elusive long connections that no one wants but I'll snap up! Its not for a long time but I'm excited.
I agree with what the others have said. Also, as a heads up, at your first POE into the US at most airports, you have to go and collect your bags and then you can drop them off again for your connecting flight.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:04 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Note at some airports international arrivals are at a different terminal than your connecting flight. While this isn't that big a deal at some airports, at others it can involve a tram ride which will add time to your connection. All depends on what airport you are transiting through.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see how many other international flights are due to arrive at the airport in question at the same time or within in an hour before yours by going to the arriving airport web site and checking arrivals schedule, it will be a good indication on how many other flights with 250 plus people could be in line at the same time as you. Note that different days of the week often have different international arrival schedules.
I often used to fly the 10am departure Amsterdam - Minneapolis on Friday morning and with an arrival at around 12.30pm it was the only international flight for a couple of hours so there was never a long line at immigration, only those who were on the same flight I was on and often could make a connecting flight within 90 mins of arrival. That included clearing immigration, finding my bag on the carousel, passing customs inspection, checking my bag for the next flight, passing thru security to get into the airport, then making my way from one end of the airport to the other to the departure gate of the connecting flight.
Planning can make a huge difference, I flew to Atlanta once on a Saturday and it took over 3 hours just to reach the immigration desks purely due to the volume of international arrivals, after baggage claim and customs clearance, earliest next flight check in was over 4 1/2 hours after arrival.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Which city airport is your final destination?

I know that international flights which arrive at Newark airport in the late mornings/early afternoons (it's often listed as a New York airport - airport code is EWR) tend to clear through immigration quickly.

There is a daily British Airways flight (BA 185) from LHR-EWR which arrives at Terminal B in Newark and passengers always seem to clear immigation and customs rapidly. At this time of the day there often isn't enough work for the immigration officers to do and many international flights arriving in to Newark on Continental Airlilnes - the main airline at Newark - are redirected to the gates at Terminal B, despite having their own terminal (C).

My mother arrived on a Continental Airlines flight a few days ago from Birmingham, UK (airport code BHX)and this happened to her...indeed her flight arrived early (approx 11.30am) and she cleared immigration and customs immediately at Terminal B instead of Terminal C. As you are in Dudley I guess that Birmingham airport is the most convenient airport for you!

There is a monorail ('Airtrain') between the terminals which takes just 2 to 3 minutes. It's a smaller airport than JFK and much more convenient to get between terminals and for flight connections.

I would however, only feel comfortable with at least 3 hours for a connecting flight if arriving from outside the USA and would definitely prefer to arrive during the morning or early afternoon just in case of a missed connection - less chance of being stranded overnight when the last flight of the day has departed!

PS: Another idea is to take a Continental Airlines flight originating in Ireland (Dublin or Shannon). US Immigration and customs is cleared in Ireland and when the plane arrives in the US (Newark) it is treated as if it is a domestic arrival, so therefore no waiting in the immigration hall at the US end. I'm not 100% sure (you would need to check with the airline) but if you take an onward connection with Continental or any other airline they interline with, then I believe your luggage can be checked through all the way to your final destination.

http://www.continental.com

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 29th 2010 at 4:30 am.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Hey guys, thank you for the advice!

We want to end up in Memphis and then do a mini road trip up to Minneapolis. It is worth looking into flying from Dublin and using that as a POE because I can get a flight to Dublin pretty cheap and then just go onto Memphis...

Would that work if I booked the flights seperately?

Also - Birmingham - Newark direct sounds like a dream! I'll look into that early flight and do some better research I think.

To get to Minneapolis we normally pass through Toronto and there is never a long wait there - I know that is the same deal as Dublin but my husband (the USC) doesn't like immigration there as they were rude to him!

Thanks again.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
PS: Another idea is to take a Continental Airlines flight originating in Ireland (Dublin or Shannon). US Immigration and customs is cleared in Ireland and when the plane arrives in the US (Newark) it is treated as if it is a domestic arrival, so therefore no waiting in the immigration hall at the US end. I'm not 100% sure (you would need to check with the airline) but if you take an onward connection with Continental or any other airline they interline with, then I believe your luggage can be checked through all the way to your final destination.

http://www.continental.com
At this moment in time luggage will not be checked through and you still have to do customs. However a new terminal is opening in Dublin in the next few weeks which will have full CBP services and then Continental flights from Dublin will be able to arrive in domestic terminals in the US.