British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Plumbing jobs in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/plumbing-jobs-florida-159633/)

Taniar Jun 15th 2003 9:00 pm

Plumbing jobs in Florida
 
Anyone able to tell me whether there is a good chance of getting work as a plumber in Florida?

Ta in advance

Pulaski Jun 15th 2003 9:59 pm

Re: Plumbing jobs in Florida
 

Originally posted by Taniar
Anyone able to tell me whether there is a good chance of getting work as a plumber in Florida?

Ta in advance
If you are trained and certified to work as a plumber in Florida and have a visa, probably only fair - there is pretty much a recession going on right now.

If you don't have training and certification to work in Florida, and don't have a visa, not a hope.

As plumbing is not a skill in short supply in the US you don't stand a hope in hell of getting a visa unless you have some other reason to get one - like having an American spouse, or winning one in the visa lottery (but UK citizens don't qualify, unless they are from Northern Ireland).

Please don't think that you can just hop on a plane and come over, you can't. :(

frrussre Jun 16th 2003 11:01 pm

As Palaski stated really tough!!!

Florida is a Right to Work State. Unlike say NY which has a lot of closed shop unions. Especially in NYC. Father to Son or Grandfather.

1st you would need to find a method to get to US. Green card work visa etc. Then you would need to go back to Trade school, pass all the courses, then find work. I guess you could look into FL Trade schools and try to get a Student Visa. I think very unlikely.

Good luck.

Reg. Frank R.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2003 3:23 pm


Originally posted by frrussre
.... I guess you could look into FL Trade schools and try to get a Student Visa. I think very unlikely. ....
I don't believe that attendence at a "trade school" is a legitimate basis for a student visa.

Taniar Jun 17th 2003 7:29 pm

Re: Emigrating to USA
 

Originally posted by Pulaski
If you are trained and certified to work as a plumber in Florida and have a visa, probably only fair - there is pretty much a recession going on right now.

If you don't have training and certification to work in Florida, and don't have a visa, not a hope.

As plumbing is not a skill in short supply in the US you don't stand a hope in hell of getting a visa unless you have some other reason to get one - like having an American spouse, or winning one in the visa lottery (but UK citizens don't qualify, unless they are from Northern Ireland).

Please don't think that you can just hop on a plane and come over, you can't. :(
And pray tell me how did you manage to get out there, a " GOOD WIN ON THE LOTTERY " wAS IT?!!!

Thanks for the very frank reply, your encouragement is overwhelming!!!!

Regards, Taniar

mark19964 Jun 17th 2003 8:15 pm

Like the man said we married USC - simple really when you put your mind to it or as the man said invest $300,000 + should cover it. Where there's a way there's a will.

Have a nice day - Mark

mark19964 Jun 17th 2003 8:26 pm

Taniar,
Seriously joking apart, what there telling you is the Blatant truth - however hard it seems. My best friend unlike me didnt have a green card flew out to California and thought it would be a doddle.

Well it had to be, he had 17 years of carpentry behind him with a distinction pass in he's C&G, worked at Pinewood on the 007 Bond Set. ( In View to a kill - He helped to make the Eiffel tower restaurant scenery). Then went to work for crispin & Borst working on Shop fitting for the likes of Gucci and Christian Dior etc.

He ended up working for $40.00 a day - Why, because he had no visa, no greencard, no hope. Everyone wanted to employ him but as soon as they found out he wasnt legal they didnt want to know - I suppose the $50,000 dollar fine put them off a bit as well.

Dont wish to burst anyones bubble.
And certainly dont listen to the Idiots on here who tell you to jump on a plane and it'll be alright RE: Chopper Chris.

All the best - Mark

Pulaski Jun 17th 2003 9:02 pm

Re: Emigrating to USA
 

Originally posted by Taniar
And pray tell me how did you manage to get out there, a " GOOD WIN ON THE LOTTERY " wAS IT?!!!

Thanks for the very frank reply, your encouragement is overwhelming!!!! ......
Sorry if you find my honesty disheartening. I'll give anyone all the encouragement I can, when there is hope, but from what you told us there is very little room for hope. I have seen many posts on expat boards giving all sorts of bogus advice on how easy it is, and then when the recipient of the advice does some real digging they find out that their hopes were built on foundations of sand.

Here is a copy of a more details that I usually post in response to a question like yours:

There are basically six ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US (or seven if you have a close family member who can sponsor you):

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv)get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status .e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen who is already married, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, and more-so because of your occupation which is not a favored one (such as scientific, computer or medical training) for immigration purposes, nor one that it likely to make (iii) a possibility either.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! :)

Taniar Jun 17th 2003 10:10 pm

Re: Emigrating to USA
 

Originally posted by Pulaski
Sorry if you find my honesty disheartening. I'll give anyone all the encouragement I can, when there is hope, but from what you told us there is very little room for hope. I have seen many posts on expat boards giving all sorts of bogus advice on how easy it is, and then when the recipient of the advice does some real digging they find out that their hopes were built on foundations of sand.

Here is a copy of a more details that I usually post in response to a question like yours:

There are basically six ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US (or seven if you have a close family member who can sponsor you):

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training. Pulaski, thanks for the honest reply, but you still haven't explained how you got Permenant Residency!?

Regards Taniar

(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv)get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status .e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen who is already married, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, and more-so because of your occupation which is not a favored one (such as scientific, computer or medical training) for immigration purposes, nor one that it likely to make (iii) a possibility either.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! :)

Pulaski Jun 18th 2003 12:34 am

Re: Emigrating to USA
 

Originally posted by Taniar
Pulaski, thanks for the honest reply, but you still haven't explained how you got Permenant Residency!? .....
I don't that it is anyone else's concern but my own.
Having said that, I did give you a fairly heavy hint in the third paragraph of my first post in this thread http://lunamoth.pe.kr/cgi-bin/gm/Smi...gend/smash.gif (and on the left of each post I make it tells you I am ex-UK), and mark19964 picked up on what I had said and mentioned in his post immediately after you asked the question the first time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:33 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.