Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PLS help, how long will this take, and can i work temp for now?

PLS help, how long will this take, and can i work temp for now?

Old Jan 30th 2002, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Bleemster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit male 21 yrs, with american folks, how can i get over,& how long?

Hey anyone who is reading!

im 21 single british male with no criminal convictions etc

my dad is a Gcard holder, but his citizenship should be comming thought within the next 6 months (according to the letters he has recieved)
he is married to my step mom who is an american citizen, and have gran-parents there to!
they have all lived there longer than 15 years!
and finally he owns his own company there!

i am waiting for my dad to get his citizenship before i apply for my green card!

MY QUESTION IT THIS.......

1) MOST IMPORTANTLY - how long will it take for me to get my card when i apply and when i do can i get a temp permit to work while waiting, with all the above info beside me in my favour!

2) is it possible in anyway to go over 'now' and work on a temporary permit

3) if quest 2 is no... then... can i go over to study any course and work that way.

I AM THAT DESPERATE TO GET OVER THERE I AM WILLING TO GO ANY ROUTE!
Old Feb 3rd 2002, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Bleemster is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone pls reply please!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2002, 1:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot file for your green card. Your father will have to do that when he becomes a US citizen. The fact that you have a USC stepmother here and grandparents means nothing because you are 21. If you were younger your stepmother (USC) could have brought you over on an I-130 without any priority dates. Unfortunately you are past that point in your life.

The length of time it takes to get your card depends on how long it takes for it to be approved by the US Service Center and then passed on to the US Consulate in London. Once you have interviewed successfully at the Consulate in London you will enter the US with a I-551 stamp in your passport and the green card will come in the mail. You can free to work once you have then applied for and obtained a social security card.

You are looking at approximately 4 to 8 months after your father applies for your I-130.

Rita