Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plight of America's Homeless Families

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Next year you and I will spend more than more than $2,700 each on [defense] programs and agencies. Therefore I think when we start looking at deficit cuts the military is going to have to be high up the list.
There's medicare/medicaid, social security and the military to choose from. They're each around the same oom, and together account for around 2/3rds of spending.

Why should the military be sacrosanct?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Has this turned into the anti US Military/defense spending thread?
I don't see it as being "anti-US military" to suggest that we can't afford the current level of defence spending.

Is this a welfare state like the UK? no it isnt..and I don't want it to be.
Nor me. But I do have to question the priorities of this country when the military budget is seemingly untouchable whilst at the same time we are laying off, for example, tens of thousands of teachers and extending tax cuts for the highest wage earners.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
Great post.
Why is it a great post? Keep spending on the military, no matter what the cost and who else suffers?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The big US base in Germany is mostly used as their stepping stone to the middle east. It can't just be shut down, an alternative would be needed.

To get back the intent of this thread, I was very surprised when I first came here about how many food banks there were. The very idea of people relying entirely on the goodwill of the public in order to just eat, it just sounded wrong for a developed country like the US.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Sadly but simply stated, our politicians at almost all levels, are bought and paid for and are financially obligated to the agenda of their very rich and powerfull contributors.
It will never happen, but I would like to see publicly funded elections. Sadly, it looks like things are moving in the other direction.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:40 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why is it a great post? Keep spending on the military, no matter what the cost and who else suffers?

No...Defense spending could certainly afford to go down...lets just not spend all the extra $$ on welfare and social programs..

Whatever happened to standing on your own feet, if you can, working, paying taxes, not living off the state, and raising your family with minimal state interference.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No...Defense spending could certainly afford to go down...lets just not spend all the extra $$ on welfare and social programs..

Whatever happened to standing on your own feet, if you can, working, paying taxes, not living off the state, and raising your family with minimal state interference.
I don't know, ask the kids on the TV programme
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:43 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The big US base in Germany is mostly used as their stepping stone to the middle east. It can't just be shut down, an alternative would be needed.

To get back the intent of this thread, I was very surprised when I first came here about how many food banks there were. The very idea of people relying entirely on the goodwill of the public in order to just eat, it just sounded wrong for a developed country like the US.
I think its rare that anyone relies entirely on the goodwill of the public, by choice..

There are foodstamps, EBT cards, WIC, healthy families etc etc. Shelter and placement for the homeless and work assistance.

If you are homeless, sorry, most people will help you up and out as long as you are willing to help yourself.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:44 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't know, ask the kids on the TV programme
Well come on then sal, solutions?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that that is what a very overwhelming majority of people want. However, the reality of life is that crap happens to some people that is beyond their control. Additionally, children are often the innocent victims of their parents' poor life choices. In both those cases, some kind of social safety net needs to be in place. Unfortunately, it's spending on this that's getting decimated as states struggle to balance their books.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 8th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:54 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I would suggest that that is what a very overwhelming majority of people want. However, the reality of life is that crap happens to some people that is beyond their control. Additionally, children are often the innocent victims of their parents' poor life choices. In both those cases, some kind of social safety net needs to be in place.
I concur, but there is a net in most states, but you will also find that some families stay off the radar, or slip through the net...nothing unusual there...

I do feel terrible for the kids..
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yah cause we all know that all those kids being raised by parents in motels who used to have a decent job and a house, did it all on purpose and enjoy having the kids get on the homeless kids bus to school and living hand to mouth and fighting the cockroaches for dinner.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:02 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yah cause we all know that all those kids being raised by parents in motels who used to have a decent job and a house, did it all on purpose and enjoy having the kids get on the homeless kids bus to school and living hand to mouth and fighting the cockroaches for dinner.
So? Solutions?

Is there a homeless kids bus?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So? Solutions?

Is there a homeless kids bus?
If you watch the clips given the OP you'd see what was being talked about.It was on 60 minutes the other night. The family that the kid get the homeless kids bus and lives in the motel seemed to be trying very hard. He did find a job at the local Uni and is working again now, but still not enough to move himself and the wife and two kids into a house or flat. Before this recession many of the motel dweller were slackers with only a few who have fallen on hard times or lost it all with medical problems etc. Now it's regular every folk who maybe don't have a degree, but were working and had their own home (owned or rented) and the kids were in school everyone doing well. This time around once they lost it all, and blew through the savings, which is need to get any government help they end up in cars/tents/or motels, or couch surfing.
There but for the grace of God go I. We should all have a little more compassion in life, you never know what is going to be around the corner.
Solutions? who knows, all I know is till there are jobs for normal people it won't improve, just get worse as they come to the end of unemployment benefits, but then they won't be counted so it'll look like the unemployment rate went down.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

us4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really nice

I feel very sorry for the young lad who had lost his scooter and his stuff when theu couldn't pay for the self-storage. Don't know why, just something about the way he said it made my heart break. When I think of my kids, if they were deprived of their PS3 etc, they would be gutted...but this young lad was just so accepting almost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.