Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plight of America's Homeless Families

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Ever thought that it's not the BBC that are moving left, but you who's moving right?
Surely any sane person here in the UK, with the possible exception of those at the BBC, would be tempted to "move to the right" when we have situations like this in the UK, and believe you me, it is not a one off by any stretch of the imagination. The last Government more or less encouraged this sort of behaviour by means of its policies, perhaps not realising it but that's debatable in itself.

I'm pretty sure this sort of thing would not happen in the United States, and hopefully it no longer will here either if the present Government adheres to its planned policies of welfare benefits reform.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ights-out.html
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I'm pretty sure this sort of thing would not happen in the United States, and hopefully it no longer will here either if the present Government adheres to its planned policies of welfare benefits reform.

Haha, you would be surprised if you came to my town. Work-shyness is not just the perogative of the Brits.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:53 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Surely any sane person here in the UK, with the possible exception of those at the BBC, would be tempted to "move to the right" when we have situations like this in the UK, and believe you me, it is not a one off by any stretch of the imagination. The last Government more or less encouraged this sort of behaviour by means of its policies, perhaps not realising it but that's debatable in itself.

There are system abusers in every country. In the US it is my opinion that it's more private companies that get screwed over, leaving me with increased rates for insurance, banking and credit card services.

From the California "road tax" it's easy to see that having a taxed and insured car is not a priority, for the road user or the police.

The daily mail reports extremes. If that's where you get your whole news view, it will look like doom and gloom. The BBC don't report that many stories like that because they're more balanced.
IMO the daily mail is the "Chicken Licin'" of newspapers.
If you want to read that the sky's falling in, read the daily mail. If you want the truth, look to a broadsheet (even if it is weighted towards one political party or another - The Telegraph is weighted more to the right, but is far more balanced it's journalism)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
Ummm.... Canada has the largest welfare structure (outside of the Scandinavian countries). Possibly too large.
Try getting help and you will quickly realize how little help there actually is.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 10th 2011 at 2:07 am.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all

I didn't see the programme All I can tell you is my story. I came here 3 years ago a very healthy person to marry my chldhood sweetheart. he had found me after 28 years,I sold everything and moved here. He was fully employed adn had a good job and he was supposed to be taking over his Dad's business. I was not concerned at all. In Jan 2009 I woke up one day and couldnt move my hand. It turned out I have severe Disc problems throughout my spine. In Oct 2009 hubby lost his job and has been unemployed since. His Dad is pratically out of business too.Husband loses 25% of his unemployment for child support.We have no children so do not qualify for anything. We had to take Cobra for me costing $450 as I was denied by every insurance company. I have to have treatment every month costing $5000-$10000 plus $200 per month meds so without the insurance it would be a huge problem. My husband has diabetes and high blood pressure and cannot afford his medicine he hasnt taken t for 15 months I wanted to get my passport done but I still cannot as we dont have the $205. We are going to sell my car to buy airplane tickets back to the UK and get my passport done as we will be homeless as of April 30th. Hopefully my passport will come in time.I hope I can get the money and send off for it next week as I dont' know what I will do. I do not have the money to eat properly. I spend everyday at home and alot of time crying as I cannot believe what has happened. $1100 is not enough to live on per month especailly when my medical ins and meds cost $650!!! I wanted to make my life here but now I have no choice, We will l both die if we stay here.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:19 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellie-May
I didn't see the programme All I can tell you is my story. I came here 3 years ago a very healthy person to marry my chldhood sweetheart. he had found me after 28 years,I sold everything and moved here. He was fully employed adn had a good job and he was supposed to be taking over his Dad's business. I was not concerned at all. In Jan 2009 I woke up one day and couldnt move my hand. It turned out I have severe Disc problems throughout my spine. In Oct 2009 hubby lost his job and has been unemployed since. His Dad is pratically out of business too.Husband loses 25% of his unemployment for child support.We have no children so do not qualify for anything. We had to take Cobra for me costing $450 as I was denied by every insurance company. I have to have treatment every month costing $5000-$10000 plus $200 per month meds so without the insurance it would be a huge problem. My husband has diabetes and high blood pressure and cannot afford his medicine he hasnt taken t for 15 months I wanted to get my passport done but I still cannot as we dont have the $205. We are going to sell my car to buy airplane tickets back to the UK and get my passport done as we will be homeless as of April 30th. Hopefully my passport will come in time.I hope I can get the money and send off for it next week as I dont' know what I will do. I do not have the money to eat properly. I spend everyday at home and alot of time crying as I cannot believe what has happened. $1100 is not enough to live on per month especailly when my medical ins and meds cost $650!!! I wanted to make my life here but now I have no choice, We will l both die if we stay here.
I'm so sorry sweetie. Best of luck to you.

Personally, I'd gladly support countless lazy good-for-nothings with my tax dollars/pounds, if it meant that I gave services to just 1 unfortunate family like this.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

((hugs)) sadly it's not that uncommon to have things like this happen. Can you imagine what would happen if you couldn't move home?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to read all that, Ellie.... That's scary as scary can be. Especially for your husband. Not taking diabetes meds (along with blood pressure, of course) can have irreversible consequences.

I hope you can get back to the UK and it all works out for you. Best wishes....
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all

Thank you