Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Plight of America's Homeless Families

Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Plight of America's Homeless Families

I have to admit, I was in tears when I saw this report from the '60 Minutes' TV programme about homeless families in the Orlando area.

I honestly feel that we Brits are so fortunate in having a safety net, unlike these poor souls:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7358670n

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...in;cbsCarousel

Last edited by Englishmum; Mar 7th 2011 at 7:34 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plight of America's Homeless Families

Its always sad. Its not much better in Canada, services and safety nets are minimal and can't be relied upon.

I will experience this first hand in a couple weeks, no work, no savings left and you can't stay housed, people dont think it can happen to them, but it can happen to anyone and at anytime.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the comment under the item about cutting the military budget. I cannot understand why this is sacrosanct.

All the best JSmith.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree with the comment under the item about cutting the military budget. I cannot understand why this is sacrosanct.
Nor can I understand why it's ok to extend tax cuts to the wealthiest 2% of the country at this point in time. Sometimes I feel very ill at ease in this country.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nor can I understand why it's ok to extend tax cuts to the wealthiest 2% of the country at this point in time. Sometimes I feel very ill at ease in this country.
Absolutely.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

You're not alone feeling that way - I think it is appalling. The rich get richer and poor get poorer. I always make a point of watching "60 Minutes". Last night's program was heart-breaking - poor kids - one of them even mentioned she felt that she was part of the problem - if her parents didn't have her to take care of they wouldn't be so poor. It just broke my heart hearing a child talking like that. So much for the world's richest country.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:10 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I recently did some child protection training here in California, and children living in a car is NOT reason for them to be removed from their parents, however, children can never be returned to a car as a home....
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I honestly feel that we Brits are so fortunate in having a safety net......
Well, at the present time we do, but for how much longer will the State be the Great Provider here in the United Kingdom? It certainly doesn't look as if it will be anything like as socially benevolent as it has been in the past when things go a wee bit pear shaped for those in need financially.

Increasingly things will be starting to bite from this coming April and the forthcoming Budget due later this month will be a clear indication of this and future plans for economic restraint.

Already I have heard pronoucements made in the UK broadcasting media that this country will eventually become more like the USA in this regard but I hasten to add these have been confined to the bloody awful BBC, the mouthpiece of the Labour Party who, in turn, are responsible many of the causes leading up to the massive national deficit the UK has now been saddled with, not that the BBC itself would ever place any emphasis on this in the first place.

It's an absolute disgrace how shamelessly biased to the left the Beeb now is in its political reporting. It studiously avoids any such mention of any relative past culpability on the part of the Labour party in any of its programs, but what would you expect of an Organisation whose staff is recruited entirely through the medium of the Guardian newspaper and other left wing publication!

Last edited by Lothianlad; Mar 7th 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Already I have heard pronoucements made in the UK broadcasting media that this country will eventually become more like the USA in this regard but I hasten to add these have been confined to the bloody awful BBC, the mouthpiece of the Labour Party who, in turn, are responsible many of the causes leading up to the massive national deficit the UK has now been saddled with, not that the BBC itself would ever place any emphasis on this in the first place.

It's an absolute disgrace how shamelessly biased to the left the Beeb now is in its political reporting. It studiously avoids any such mention of any relative past culpability on the part of the Labour party in any of its programs, but what would you expect of an Organisation whose staff is recruited entirely through the medium of the Guardian newspaper and other left wing publication!
Boring, predictable and irrelevant to this thread.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:00 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
<snip>

Ever thought that it's not the BBC that are moving left, but you who's moving right?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting fact for you that I have not checked for accuracy. A coworker the other day told me that the top 400 people in the US earn as much as the bottom 50% of the population, combined. While I haven't verified that, I don't find it hard to believe.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Interesting fact for you that I have not checked for accuracy. A coworker the other day told me that the top 400 people in the US earn as much as the bottom 50% of the population, combined. While I haven't verified that, I don't find it hard to believe.
I know Mr. Moore may not be this most impartial of people, but this may be of interest, especially considering the top 400 figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_832006.html
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

There is a large population of homeless families at the resort area of Virginia Beach in the winter when motels are cheaper. They live next to prostitutes. The city decided you couldn't stay in a place for more than 30 days so people have to move around. School buses take the kids to the local school here too.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Boring, predictable and irrelevant to this thread.
I dunno - there were a few 'torpedoes of truth' in there..

State being rolled back -true

Things starting to bite -Unfortunately true - there are still something between 400,000 and 500,000 job losses still to work through the system and the economy seems to be languishing at the moment. Hopefully it will improve next quarter.

Labour responsibility for putting us in a bad spot during the financial crisis - partially true. We rescued the banks but before that the UK's structural deficit went from second best in the G7 in 2000 to the worst in 2007

BBC bias - true on occasion but not it's fault. The idea you can have an unbiased state news provider is simply mistaken.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Misinformation. A large proportion of the uninformed of the US (such as my FIL!) will happily tell you that military spending is only 4% or so. It is, of course, 4% of GDP, not 4% of government spending! But when you listen to the Faux voices all day, who are quite consistent with this figure, it's easy to see why they fall for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.