Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pledge of Allegiance

Wikiposts

Pledge of Allegiance

Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:11 am
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Re: Pledge of Allegiance

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We used to pledge and sing a patriotic song at the meetings of the charity I belong to.

I used to feel a little uncomfortable about it but said nothing. Then one day, someone started My Country 'Tis of Thee very high and it really sounded terrible. One of the women turned to me and said, "Do you have this crap in your country?" Shortly afterwards we voted unanimously to drop it. It turns out it had been instigated by a woman of Greek origin who wanted to be fiercely patriotic.
I have always liked the question "Do you have July the fourth in England?"
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:26 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
I have always liked the question "Do you have July the fourth in England?"
Of course we do - we call it Thanksgiving . . .
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, it is common in the military to render honors to another nation's colors without pledging allegiance. It strikes me that holding the hand over the heart [a species of a salute] while remaining silent would be just fine.

[BTW, it can be argued that a lawful permanent resident alien does owe "allegiance" to an extent. However, I've found it somewhat strange to pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth -- it is only "the country for which it stands ..." part which redeems the pledge.]
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:29 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
When I hear "God Bless America" spoken I add "And F**k everybody else!"
Then ask, "Why not 'God Bless Humanity' and you lot not be so damned selfish?" I also explain if a Brit says it, they are just taking the piss.
Of course we have our own version -- we ask God to save our gracious queen (so she can continue to reign over us, no less) and screw the rest of us!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Not in the least. I would just stand in respectful silence before I became a USC, same as for the anthem, and I still do. Memorized the words for my swearing in and promptly forgot them, so I couldn't join in if I wanted to!
Dito same here!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Of course we have our own version -- we ask God to save our gracious queen (so she can continue to reign over us, no less) and screw the rest of us!
You are allowed a certain leeway with the lyrics to a song. Case in point, the US national anthem contains the phrase 'land of the free' and tell me that's not positively dripping with irony
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
-- it is only "the country for which it stands ..." part which redeems the pledge.]
Agreed - but, unfortunately, the mid 20th century addition of the words "under God" render it completely unacceptable to me.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:14 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You are allowed a certain leeway with the lyrics to a song. Case in point, the US national anthem contains the phrase 'land of the free' and tell me that's not positively dripping with irony
I have only ever sang "God save our gracious team" it was a wembley tradition.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

the US national anthem contains the phrase 'land of the free' and tell me that's not positively dripping with irony
Aaah.. NOW I get it...

Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:32 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed a certain leeway with the lyrics to a song.

So by that logic it's OK to sing "God bless America," but not to conclude a stump speech with it!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:33 am
I have a comma problem

So by that logic it's OK to sing "God bless America," but not to conclude a stump speech with it!
By definition, logic doesn't tend to mix with unblinkered jingoism.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:52 am
Deep in the woods of CT

By definition, logic doesn't tend to mix with unblinkered jingoism.
Of any nationality!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:57 am
I have a comma problem

Of any nationality!
Most other nationalities understand irony though.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard anyone use that in everyday speech though - except Johnny Rotten.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:03 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I've never heard anyone use that in everyday speech though - except Johnny Rotten.
Those were the only three intelligible words of English that he was ever able to string together in close succession as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.