Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pledge of Allegiance

Wikiposts

Pledge of Allegiance

Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pledge of Allegiance

FWIW, when I was in junior high and high school, the school day started out with the "To The Colors" bugle call over the PA followed by the Pledge. The end of the school day had "Retreat" sounded. This had been eliminated by the time my kids were in middle and high school.

When I was in the Army, the end of the work day was signaled by Retreat followed by To The Colors.
At the sound of Retreat everyone was required to come to attention and face the colors. Upon the sounding of To The Colors, a salute was to be rendered while the call was in progress. At the sound of Retreat, all cars & trucks were required to stop and the driver exit and come to attention facing the colors. The passengers were allowed to remain in the vehicle.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Since I like to be respectful, I'm keen to know about "hands in front". I usually clasp my hands behind my back. Is that less respectful? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was a bit of etiquette that I've failed to pick up over the years.
It's either, they're both a sign of respect.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like being in Church, stand up and be respectful.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:00 am
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
It's either, they're both a sign of respect.
Unless you're scratching your nuts at the time.
As mentioned in another thread, an old Brit friend of mine taught me to recite nursery rhymes.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMENQeCbxfI

Go about 1 min 20 seconds in...

Magic, individual, respectful, and very American I think...

Cheers

HTS
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind this shit when it is appropriate, but it is not appropriate in school; and I do not go to church for anything other than weddings and funerals, but I have to ask what the relevance is for the pledge to be said in any church.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I don't mind this shit when it is appropriate, but it is not appropriate in school; and I do not go to church for anything other than weddings and funerals, but I have to ask what the relevance is for the pledge to be said in any church.
God is obviously American!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Then he really likes irony
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:59 am
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nethead
When I hear "God Bless America" spoken I add "And F**k everybody else!"
Then ask, "Why not 'God Bless Humanity' and you lot not be so damned selfish?" I also explain if a Brit says it, they are just taking the piss.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:01 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
When I hear "God Bless America" spoken I add "And F**k everybody else!"
Then ask, "Why not 'God Bless Humanity' and you lot not be so damned selfish?" I also explain if a Brit says it, they are just taking the piss.
Why not 'America; leave God alone'?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Moore might be a bit of a self publicist, but I might be able to go with his revised pledge.
"I pledge allegiance to the people of the United States of America / and to the republic for which we stand / one nation, part of one world / with liberty and justice for all."
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:05 am
I have a comma problem

Michael Moore might be a bit of a self publicist, but I might be able to go with his revised pledge.
"I pledge allegiance to the people of the United States of America / and to the republic for which we stand / one nation, part of one world / with liberty and justice for all."
I'll be hanged at dawn for even thinking this; but why do we need a pledge at all?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:07 am
He/him

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'll be hanged at dawn for even thinking this; but why do we need a pledge at all?
Quite.
Its anti-family, Bellamy wrote it at a time of high immigration, and he did not want the new generation having associations with their parents home lands.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:08 am
I have a comma problem

Quite.
Its anti-family, Bellamy wrote it at a time of high immigration, and he did not want the new generation having associations with their parents home lands.
How ironic that all the current generation seems to do is bang on about theirs
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We used to pledge and sing a patriotic song at the meetings of the charity I belong to.

I used to feel a little uncomfortable about it but said nothing. Then one day, someone started My Country 'Tis of Thee very high and it really sounded terrible. One of the women turned to me and said, "Do you have this crap in your country?" Shortly afterwards we voted unanimously to drop it. It turns out it had been instigated by a woman of Greek origin who wanted to be fiercely patriotic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.