Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Originally Posted by mozoo
The one word over here that aggravates me the most is "HUH?"

I've instilled in my daughter the words "please", "thank you" and "pardon/excuse me". Her friends always thought that was funny or lame. To that end, I have earned myself the nickname of "Nazi Mom".
Nazi mom love it. Agree about the huh thing and any variation of it, like nuhuh etc.

The kids around here are very polite, they don't seem to say please as much but they do say thanks. I suppose it's similar to most Brits apologising a lot, even when they've done nothing to apologise for, you won't get many Americans doing that.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 5:01 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Me too. I think it's a cultural difference, being brought up with the mantra "I want never gets", it grates when you hear it, although in most instances they don't mean to be rude.

Some people do take it to the extreme though. Several times when picking up a takeaway from the chinese, I have noticed some people picking up orders won't give them the time of day. The person behind the counter is always very friendly, but some people just talk right over her, blurt out their order number and almost throw the money at them in contempt before storming out.

Another one that kills me is the people who cannot be arsed to hang up their cell phones at checkouts and when ordering food. Thats one thing I've got to give credit to our local post office for - there is a sign that says if you are blabbing on your phone when you come to the counter, you'll go to the back of the line!

All of our Trick or Treaters said Thank you which I thought was great.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 5:09 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I remember I was shocked when I first came here by the apparent rudeness/directness of 'I want', 'I need', 'Give me', 'Let me have', 'Can I get', when Americans ask people in service positions such as waiters and store clerks for their orders.
I use these myself now, I guess When in Rome.............. I still say thanks though, just a lifelong habit.