British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   please help with taxs filing for usa in uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/please-help-taxs-filing-usa-uk-714731/)

misfitfreak Apr 26th 2011 6:05 pm

please help with taxs filing for usa in uk

ok so i got the help i need to fill in the 1040 form and the 255 but have a few questions please....

on the 1040 line 40 i did a search on the standard deductions for 2010 and i got 5700 but not sure if thats right??

ok on to the 255

on line 10 it asks Date bona fide residence began
i came here in jan. 2010 on a visitors visa till june when i got my spouse visa so do i put jan. since i have been here since then and didnt start work till july..

thanks for reading my post

cheers

ian-mstm Apr 26th 2011 8:35 pm

Re: please help with taxs filing for usa in uk

Originally Posted by misfitfreak (Post 9327883)
on line 10 it asks Date bona fide residence began

You weren't a "bona fide resident" when you were in the US on a visitor's visa... you were just a visitor.

Ian

misfitfreak Apr 30th 2011 6:53 pm

ok so were on the form do i put i was over in the uk from jan to june on a visitor vis because i wasnt working........... would i do that on

16 The physical presence test is based on the 12-month period from ▶ through ▶
17 Enter your principal country of employment during your tax year. ▶
18 If you traveled abroad during the 12-month period entered on line 16, complete columns (a)–(f) below. Exclude travel between
foreign countries that did not involve travel on or over international waters, or in or over the United States, for 24 hours or
more. If you have no travel to report during the period, enter “Physically present in a foreign country or countries for the entire 12-month period.” Do not include the income from column (f) below in Part IV, but report it on Form 1040.

ian-mstm May 1st 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by misfitfreak (Post 9335007)
ok so were on the form do i put i was over in the uk from jan to june on a visitor vis because i wasnt working........... would i do that on

I thought you said you were in the US from January to June? Since you had no tax obligation during that time as you weren't resident, why do you think you need to tell the IRS about it?

Never forget that these IRS forms were designed to be completed by US citizens. That these forms might apply to other groups never dawned on them when the forms were being designed.

Ian

misfitfreak May 1st 2011 5:47 am

no i came over to the uk in january to june on a visitor visa and in june i was married in texas and got my spouse visa and went back to uk. all of last year i was only in usa for a few weeks.

ok sorry maybe i didnt say enough in the beginning.... i am a usc living in the uk with my ukc husband...... i need to file my tax for usa while i am here for 2010.

Qube May 2nd 2011 12:49 pm

I have a question similar to the OP as well, I'm filling in my wife's 1040 form for 2010 (just got her P60) and on line 40 it asks for itemized deductions, on previous few years 1040 forms it has the figure you need to put in the margins on the left hand side, this year it just says (see instructions), what instructions? I just have the 1040 form.

For 2009 form it was $5700 for "single of married filing seperately") so I imagine it's a bit different? I can't find the figure after a bout of googling.

misfitfreak May 2nd 2011 3:37 pm

i googled it and i got 5700

Jscl May 3rd 2011 6:00 am

You can download the 1040 instructions here (link goes straight to the irs pdf file):

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

but yes, the 2010 tax year's standard deduction for married filing separately is $5700, and it's $11,400 for married filing jointly.

Steve_ May 4th 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by misfitfreak (Post 9335596)
no i came over to the uk in january to june on a visitor visa and in june i was married in texas and got my spouse visa and went back to uk. all of last year i was only in usa for a few weeks.

ok sorry maybe i didnt say enough in the beginning.... i am a usc living in the uk with my ukc husband...... i need to file my tax for usa while i am here for 2010.

The answer to this question depends on where your principal residence was for January to June - did you abandon your residence in Texas? If you were not a resident for the whole of 2010 then you just fill in 1040-EZ and 2555-EZ (assuming your income in the UK is under the foreign exclusion limit) and state the number of days as 365, put down what you earned on the 2555-EZ, and you should end up with zero on your 1040.

More complicated if you actually were resident in the US, but it really depends on whether you were working and have a W-2. If you didn't work in the US during 2010 (and had no other sources of taxable income while you were resident) and your income for 2010 is under the foreign exclusion limit, it's all a bit academic because you owe no tax.

misfitfreak May 6th 2011 4:47 pm

cheers for that....... i have been in the uk for the entire year of 2010 but i didnt start working till june because i didnt have permissiong to work till then...