Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please help! My sibling won DV lottery!!

Please help! My sibling won DV lottery!!

Old Jun 30th 2002, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help! My sibling won DV lottery!!

One of my own siblings has been randomly selected for DV 2003!! But now we need someone in the US to be the sponsor(to fill out the form I-134). I am wondering if anyone would be able to help or are aware of anyone who can be the sponsor for a small fee. Do you have any suggestions? I could be the sponsor but I don't meet the income requirement. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2002, 11:20 pm
Luca

Default Re: Please help! My sibling won DV lottery!!

You do not need a sponsor after winning the DV lottery. The criteria upon which the
green card are granted are linked to the winner's education, ability to find
occupation, financial wherewittal to support herself while looking for a job. I have
won the lottery a few years back, and I have told my story at www.wop98.com I don't
think that having a letter of a relative/friend will hurt during the interview, but
they look at the winner, not at some letter. Anyway as I said it's not required. All
the best for the lucky sibling

"khai ko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > One of my own siblings has been randomly selected for DV 2003!! But now we need
    > someone in the US to be the sponsor(to fill out the form I-134). I am wondering if
    > anyone would be able to help or are aware of anyone who can be the sponsor for a
    > small fee. Do you have any suggestions? I could be the sponsor but I don't meet the
    > income requirement. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 1st 2002, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Luca,
Thanks for responding. It was really nice to read your story and I appreciate your effort in putting your experiences on the web for thousands others. Your story, as I would believe, is so much similar to mine, except that I was single (and I still am ). ( I am also one of the recipients of DV lottery and I migrated here in 2000.)
One of the things that I couldn't figure out from your story was how exactly did you meet the requirement for "evidence of support"? You said you didn't need to show a sponsor's affidavit? Were you and your wife offered visa based on your education and your work experiences? Could you please clarify a bit on this.

My sister (the main recipient of DV lottery) is a lecturer and her husband is a network engineer. They have a one year old son.
I'm sure they won't have a hard time finding a job suitable for them and adjusting in the US based on their education and experiences. What they do need, is valuable guidances from people like you who have experienced employment based migration for a DV rather than a family sponsor. I would be immensely happy to have your views and suggestions regarding their steps for a employment supported evidence to meet this very "important" requirement for this DV-visa. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Khai ko
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 1:20 am
Luca

Thank you Kahi Ko, the site is fun even though at times it's difficult to keep it up.
the satisfaction comes when people write and say we won! following your instructions,
it makes me really happy.

We brought bank statements to show that we would have been able to support ourselves
while looking for a job, also a letter from a friend saying he would have helped me
to look. The former they checked, the latter they glanced at, but it was totally
informal. The vice-consul was interested in learning which my plans were, what kind
of occupation I was seeking. Not at all interested in making me trip or something, I
have to add. One thing I don't mention in the site is that my then 6 years old son
thought that the best way to start a relationship with the USA was to stick a rubber
snake in his pocket. He was very cool about it, he had 3 kids of his. If we were
approved after that...

If, as I and more learned folks suggest, your sister should go consular, I would
stress contacts, your presence, their job qualifications, support from the family,
friends. Even though she's the winner, your brother in law's qualifications should
certainly play a positive role, so tell him to get as much stuff as he can. The logic
is to bring people who can settle and work, not super-rich folks (there's another
kind of visa for those, make no mistake: business is business).

Inmho, when they see a family of two young professionals they basically have hit
jack-pot, this is exactly the kind of people they want to get through the DV-Lottery.
The winning recipe is to show that you have qualifications, some money, some
contacts. A relative like you is enormously important, because it shows that they'll
have a support and additional contacts.

Take care and all the best to your sister and you of course. Ciao Luca

> Hi Luca, Thanks for responding. It was really nice to read your story and I
    > appreciate your effort in putting your experiences on the web for thousands others.
    > Your story, as I would believe, is so much similar to mine, except that I was
    > single (and I still am ). ( I am also one of the recipients of DV lottery and I
    > migrated here in 2000.) One of the things that I couldn't figure out from your
    > story was how exactly did you meet the requirement for "evidence of support"? You
    > said you didn't need to show a sponsor's affidavit? Were you and your wife offered
    > visa based on your education and your work experiences? Could you please clarify a
    > bit on this.
    >
    > My sister (the main recipient of DV lottery) is a lecturer and her husband is a
    > network engineer. They have a one year old son. I'm sure they won't have a hard
    > time finding a job suitable for them and adjusting in the US based on their
    > education and experiences. What they do need, is valuable guidances from people
    > like you who have experienced employment based migration for a DV rather than a
    > family sponsor. I would be immensely happy to have your views and suggestions
    > regarding their steps for a employment supported evidence to meet this very
    > "important" requirement for this DV-visa. Thank you very much for your help.
    >
    > Regards, Khai ko
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 4th 2002, 6:20 am
Charleyz Brown

Bullshit Diversity lottery?

Sounds Clintonisque, well time to get this thing ended. Go free-load off of
someone else!

"Luca" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:W_LT8.206701$nZ3.98058@rwcrnsc53...
    > You do not need a sponsor after winning the DV lottery. The criteria upon which the
    > green card are granted are linked to the winner's education, ability to find
    > occupation, financial wherewittal to support herself while looking for a job. I
    > have won the lottery a few years back, and I have
told
    > my story at www.wop98.com I don't think that having a letter of a relative/friend
    > will hurt during the interview, but they look at the
winner,
    > not at some letter. Anyway as I said it's not required. All the best for the
    > lucky sibling
    >
    > "khai ko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > One of my own siblings has been randomly selected for DV 2003!! But now we need
    > > someone in the US to be the sponsor(to fill out the form I-134). I am wondering
    > > if anyone would be able to help or are aware of anyone who can be the sponsor for
    > > a small fee. Do you have any suggestions? I could be the sponsor but I don't meet
    > > the income requirement. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 4th 2002, 6:20 am
Charleyz Brown

political refugee???

I hope China will honor my visa request , I will put down that I am a political
refugee of this corrupt country.

> Hi Luca, Thanks for responding. It was really nice to read your story and I
    > appreciate your effort in putting your experiences on the web for thousands others.
    > Your story, as I would believe, is so much similar to mine, except that I was
    > single (and I still am ). ( I am also one of the recipients of DV lottery and I
    > migrated here in 2000.) One of the things that I couldn't figure out from your
    > story was how exactly did you meet the requirement for "evidence of support"? You
    > said you didn't need to show a sponsor's affidavit? Were you and your wife offered
    > visa based on your education and your work experiences? Could you please clarify a
    > bit on this.
    >
    > My sister (the main recipient of DV lottery) is a lecturer and her husband is a
    > network engineer. They have a one year old son. I'm sure they won't have a hard
    > time finding a job suitable for them and adjusting in the US based on their
    > education and experiences. What they do need, is valuable guidances from people
    > like you who have experienced employment based migration for a DV rather than a
    > family sponsor. I would be immensely happy to have your views and suggestions
    > regarding their steps for a employment supported evidence to meet this very
    > "important" requirement for this DV-visa. Thank you very much for your help.
    >
    > Regards, Khai ko
    >
    >
    >
    > --