Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Originally Posted by TerryVA
Richmond has its own airport, so you can get connecting flights to Charlotte, New York, or even Dulles, and that avoids the 2hr drive up to IAD.
Yes, but that connecting flight is still going to cost you 2 hours of total travel time and increases the probability of delays, missed connecting flights and missed baggage which (for me at least) just reinforces my original point which was that the convenience of flying from the US to the UK is determined much more by your proximity to an airport from which you can get a direct flight than it is by whether you are on the east coast, the west coast or just somewhere in the middle ...
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:37 am
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, but that connecting flight is still going to cost you 2 hours of total travel time and increases the probability of delays, missed connecting flights and missed baggage which (for me at least) just reinforces my original point which was that the convenience of flying from the US to the UK is determined much more by your proximity to an airport from which you can get a direct flight than it is by whether you are on the east coast, the west coast or just somewhere in the middle ...
All valid points, as those things concern you. I'd much rather avoid driving anywhere north of Fredericksburg, and get some more hours in the air.

The decision remains a personal one, so all we can do is offer alternatives for the OP to use in the process of choosing Irvine over Richmond.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

There are several airlines such as British Airways, American, Virgin , BMI and others offering direct flights from Dulles to Heathrow. If you fly from Richmond to say JFK or Philadelphia to make a connecting flight especially in summer when the thunderstorm threat is high you may well be stranded till the next day as with delays the crew runs out of hours it happened to a friend with the storms last Wednesday. Personally I prefer to fly into Dulles and drive home, we are 147 miles from IAD.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

mailkish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We have finally chosen Richmond after a lot of analysis. My wife and I have planned to move around first week of May!!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mailkish
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We have finally chosen Richmond after a lot of analysis. My wife and I have planned to move around first week of May!!
Wise choice and Good Luck
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

Wise choice on Richmond! we live (well, will live, once this bloomin' I-130 gets approved) about 30 mins away from irvine, on the coast (which is fantastic - lovely beaches) and having lived there previously, a great place to raise kids, but my father in law lives in irvine, and I find it lacking in charachter and culture. its very safe, and easy to navigate, good shops, clean living, great schools, etc. but not much depth compared to some of the gorgeous east coast towns. If you did like the west coast, consider going a bit further afield, laguna, san clemente, newport all have wonderful beaches and areas.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:28 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Good luck And have a safe journey.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Great choice! I've never lived in Richmond but frequently visit and it's a great city. It has it's bad parts, but so do any other city. And housing down there is dirt cheap (although I live in NY so anything is cheaper). You'll go very far on your salary there. I've been all over Virginia and go down there whenever I get the chance....very beautiful state.