Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please help educate an American on an H1B issue!

Please help educate an American on an H1B issue!

Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

chellhead73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help educate an American on an H1B issue!

I have moved this question to another location. US Visas

:-)

Last edited by chellhead73; Mar 11th 2004 at 1:56 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert on visa matters, but I was under the impression that if one has been made redundant or fired from a job when on an employment visa in the US, then you have to pack up and go home immediately. If you need to stay on to 'wind up' your affairs, then you apply to the BCIS go onto a B-2 Visitor's visa (max validity is 6 months) and where employment is not allowed.

It seems to me that your boyfriend may be out of status ie. has stayed on illegally since October. He must have had a large severence payment to stay on in the States since October?

From what I can gather from the 'visa' section of this website, all the H1B visas have already been allocated this year. I don't think the next H1Bs will be issued until October.

I think he will need to see an immigration attorney...but it doesn't look good if he's out of status and just wants a new H1B.

Perhaps you could see if you could get a job in the UK?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help educate an American on an H1B issue!

Originally posted by chellhead73
Hi all,

I am a US citizen, and my boyfriend is from the UK. He is over here on a H1B visa that was set to expire in 2005.

He was laid off from his job at the end of October 2003. He has recently found a job that will sponsor him. (mArch 2004)

What are the chances that INS will allow his application through? There obviously is an issue with the amount of time between jobs, but seriously, what are the chances that he will be removed from the country.

We plan to get married some day, but don't want this issue to be the catalyst to do it now. But the thought of him having to leave and never seeing him again is unbearable.

What are the options and chances?

Thank you.
There are several US immigration/visa forums on British Expats. Please repost on either the US Immigration or US Visas forum (please read some posts to determine which is more appropriate for your post).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

chellhead73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.

I have already moved it to the correct location.

:-)
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:19 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Please help educate an American on an H1B issue!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
There are several US immigration/visa forums on British Expats. Please repost on either the US Immigration or US Visas forum (please read some posts to determine which is more appropriate for your post).

NC Penguin
Chell realised tbis immediately after posting and is quite new at this forum.

It was partly my fault for not being online in time enough to move/delete.