Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:50 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Mostly will revolve whether him and your mam had tied the knot beforehand, I believe. So are you a bastard or not? I'm assuming from your age that you were born somewhere between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986.
I'm no bastard.....except when I leave the toilet seat up on a cold night Born April 1978 So my first post was in fact a "misspeak" (Thanks Hilary)

My GF is IRISH and we have 2 Children.

Quote from US embassy site:

We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to this Embassy as soon as possible after the birth. It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18. Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

Talk about getting in a Mucking Fuddle I thought I would just have to apply for a visa but last post suggests HAVING to apply as I am a "US Citizen" (The above contradicts this.)

Last edited by Phychlone; Mar 26th 2008 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
I'm no bastard.....except when I leave the toilet seat up on a cold night Born April 1978 So my first post was in fact a "misspeak" (Thanks Hilary)

My GF is IRISH and we have 2 Children.

Quote from US embassy site:

We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to this Embassy as soon as possible after the birth. It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18. Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

Talk about getting in a Mucking Fuddle I thought I would just have to apply for a visa but last post suggests HAVING to apply as I am a "US Citizen" (The above contradicts this.)
Next question....
Was your US citizen father, prior to your birth, physically present in the United States for a period of ten years, at least five years of which were after he reached the age of fourteen?

BTW, a yes answer to this means you are a US citizen. A negative still means you might be.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OP - this is exciting for you!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:25 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Next question....
Was your US citizen father, prior to your birth, physically present in the United States for a period of ten years, at least five years of which were after he reached the age of fourteen?

BTW, a yes answer to this means you are a US citizen. A negative still means you might be.
Father was born Sparta Illinois 24 March 1942. Remained in US until 1970 when he emigrated. 8 years later and after marriage I came along....so I'm an american citizen? I assume I can apply for a passport What about the whole birth not registered bit?

BTW thanks for your help. Also....... This is S-P-A-R-T-A!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Father was born Sparta Illinois 24 March 1942. Remained in US until 1970 when he emigrated. 8 years later and after marriage I came along....so I'm an american citizen? I assume I can apply for a passport What about the whole birth not registered bit?

BTW thanks for your help.
You'll need certified copies (or originals) of your birth cert, your dad's birth cert, and possibly? your parents' marriage cert.

I guess that you really should phone the consulate for their advice. Or just apply and see what happens. Could cost a few quid tho. Maybe £100? Maybe less. It's about 100 bucks here in the US.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

BTW thanks for your help.
Far as I can tell, you are a US citizen, a natural born one as well so you can even stand for president!

You will not be able to pass this citizenship to your children unless you apply for an immigrant visa for them to come to the US -- they will then become citizens on entry. Your gf would have to marry you and then apply for an immigrant visa -- she could then naturalize as a US citizen.

You need to prove your date of birth (UK birth certificate), your father was married to your mother (UK marriage certificate) and your father's required residency in the US (school, military, social security, tax records, etc. should be easy to procure), and your father's US citizenship -- his birth certificate will suffice. You then contact the American Citizen Services of the US embassy and apply for Consular Record of Birth Abroad, and following that a passport and social security number.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But you aint gonna get this sorted by June ..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:40 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You'll need certified copies (or originals) of your birth cert, your dad's birth cert, and possibly? your parents' marriage cert.

I guess that you really should phone the consulate for their advice. Or just apply and see what happens. Could cost a few quid tho. Maybe £100? Maybe less. It's about 100 bucks here in the US.
O.K....so let me get this straight..... I can't travel to the US under the VWP as I've got criminal convictions but I should be fine getting a US PASSPORT as my Dad happens to be American!!!!!!

What is the world coming to? I am sure that there are people who would be more appreciative of being able to be classed as a US citizen but I find it all a bit stupid.

Thank you all for all of your help, I will advise how I get on and will become an active user of this site in the future.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

O.K....so let me get this straight..... I can't travel to the US under the VWP as I've got criminal convictions but I should be fine getting a US PASSPORT as my Dad happens to be American!!!!!!

What is the world coming to? I am sure that there are people who would be more appreciative of being able to be classed as a US citizen but I find it all a bit stupid.

Thank you all for all of your help, I will advise how I get on and will become an active user of this site in the future.
Personally .. I would see a US immigration Lawyer
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Personally .. I would see a US immigration Lawyer
and put your engagement plans on hold if the US is your place of choice.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:46 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Far as I can tell, you are a US citizen, a natural born one as well so you can even stand for president!

You will not be able to pass this citizenship to your children unless you apply for an immigrant visa for them to come to the US -- they will then become citizens on entry. Your gf would have to marry you and then apply for an immigrant visa -- she could then naturalize as a US citizen.

You need to prove your date of birth (UK birth certificate), your father was married to your mother (UK marriage certificate) and your father's required residency in the US (school, military, social security, tax records, etc. should be easy to procure), and your father's US citizenship -- his birth certificate will suffice. You then contact the American Citizen Services of the US embassy and apply for Consular Record of Birth Abroad, and following that a passport and social security number.
What about this though: It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18.

That is an except from the US embassy site.

Also Ray, how long do you think this would take? And unless I'm very much misaken I am STILL not going to be able to propose in time for her 30th! Well not in the US anyway! This actual result is WORSE than having to apply for a visa because of my convictions...... (Sorry to all those who are desperately seeking US citizenship)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:47 pm
Septicity

As I said.......interesting dilemma.

Let us know how you get on. BTW, traveling to the US as a USC with your gf means that she will automatically raise the "immigrant intent" flag. Also, US citizens are liable for tax on their worldwide income!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:49 pm
Ray

What about this though: It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18.

Also Ray, how long do you think this would take? And unless I'm very much misaken I am STILL not going to be able to propose in time for her 30th! Well not in the US anyway! This actual result is WORSE than having to apply for a visa because of my convictions...... (Sorry to all those who are desperately seeking US citizenship)
I would apply for the visa now ...get the proposal sorted out now ..

than later in the year suddenly become aware you may be able to claim US citizen ship ..and get into it then ..
seeing a Lawyer
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:49 pm
Septicity

You were reading the part about bastards rather than beloved sons! If your father had done the deed out of wedlock, you would have had to have been registered before your eighteenth birthday. In wedlock, there's no such condition.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:54 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Originally Posted by Ray
I would apply for the visa now ...get the proposal sorted out now ..

than later in the year suddenly become aware you may be able to claim US citizen ship ..and get into it then ..
seeing a Lawyer
Oh, so I CAN get a visa (subect to acceptance) even though I am technically a US citizen? More intrestingly what if I just went under the VWP and if discovered claimed ignorance as I thought the convictions were "spent". What would be the ramifications?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.