Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Old May 8th 2008, 2:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
His children are not eligible for US citizenship. Phychlone must reside in the US for a minimum of 5 years before his children can become USCs.
Not quite!

He won't automatically pass his citizenship on to his children.

If he decides to come and live here, he will apply for an immigrant visa for his wife (assuming she says yes) and kids (assuming he's bringing them). The wife would need to naturalize down the road, but the kids would become American citizens on entry with an immigrant visa.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not quite!

He won't automatically pass his citizenship on to his children.

If he decides to come and live here, he will apply for an immigrant visa for his wife (assuming she says yes) and kids (assuming he's bringing them). The wife would need to naturalize down the road, but the kids would become American citizens on entry with an immigrant visa.
I don't think the OP's mentioned wanting to live here...therefore my reply was based on him and his family living in the UK. Of course now he's a USC he is free to live in the US.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think the OP's mentioned wanting to live here...therefore my reply was based on him and his family living in the UK. Of course now he's a USC he is free to live in the US.
He didn't mention it -- but others keep bringing it up.

His kids won't need him to live here for five years for them to be citizens. He just brings them here on an immigrant visa and they become instant citizens the moment they land. Future wife is another story.

After the kids turn 21 and/or are married, it's also another story.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:51 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Post Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

ok my daughter is a US Citizen via the N600K Expeditious NAturalization Process my hubby has never lived in USA - has always lived in either Japan or UK has a USC father (USNavy) and foreign mother.
If Phschlone's father has lived in US long enough to pass US Citizenship to Phychlone he will have enough physical presence to pass USC on to any foregin born grandchildren under the age of 18 via the CCA 2000, Expeditious Naturalization using Phychlone US Citizenship as lawful father and Phychlone's father's 5 years plus physical presence they can apply via the N-600K form .
So in short yes he can pass on USC but as I also added there is a load of paperwork involved.....

LAL
Old May 8th 2008, 4:54 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by LAL
ok my daughter is a US Citizen via the N600K Expeditious NAturalization Process my hubby has never lived in USA - has always lived in either Japan or UK has a USC father (USNavy) and foreign mother.
If Phschlone's father has lived in US long enough to pass US Citizenship to Phychlone he will have enough physical presence to pass USC on to any foregin born grandchildren under the age of 18 via the CCA 2000, Expeditious Naturalization using Phychlone US Citizenship as lawful father and Phychlone's father's 5 years plus physical presence they can apply via the N-600K form .
So in short yes he can pass on USC but as I also added there is a load of paperwork involved.....

LAL
Aha! Thx for clarification. That's using the grandparents to pass it on. Always seemed way too complex for me to get my mind round that one.
Old May 8th 2008, 5:32 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

it is....
You fill the form as the US Citizen Parent then there's an additional bit at the bottom that you can use if you're using your parents' (USC grandparent's) physical presence, better than the old way that was 2 forms (N600 & N643)... very easy to lose one part, takes a while and the child isn't USC from birth but from date of approval but has the same result only I don't think they can run for President......

LAL
Old May 11th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Phychlone, I have a question for you - how long did it take for you (your dad) to receive the birth certificate?

TIA!
Old May 13th 2008, 7:32 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LAL
it is....
You fill the form as the US Citizen Parent then there's an additional bit at the bottom that you can use if you're using your parents' (USC grandparent's) physical presence, better than the old way that was 2 forms (N600 & N643)... very easy to lose one part, takes a while and the child isn't USC from birth but from date of approval but has the same result only I don't think they can run for President......

LAL
I might try to do this whilst it's fresh in everyones (my fathers) mind I think I'll enjoy the NY trip first and then try to tackle the next step. Reading the touble some people have obtaining US citizenship I would be a fool not to try and pass this (prestidious honor) onto my children.

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Phychlone, I have a question for you - how long did it take for you (your dad) to receive the birth certificate?

TIA!
It only took a little over a week, only slightly longer than it took for me to respond to your post Some kind soul posted a link to the website where you can order them online.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:42 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He didn't mention it -- but others keep bringing it up.
I have actually been considering the possibility in the future, it would have to be a long way off as I have too many opportunities to explore here first to "fill out" the bank account.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
It only took a little over a week, only slightly longer than it took for me to respond to your post Some kind soul posted a link to the website where you can order them online.
Don't worry about a little delay in the reply. Thanks for the info!