Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pleasanton CA

Pleasanton CA

Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:15 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pleasanton CA

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I worked there for a while. It's got a nice downtown area with a bit of character. The rest of it is a bit "ho hum", imo, with too much new housing, which tends to mean big houses a few feet away from the next big house. There's also a relative paucity of mature trees given the age of much of the place. It's amazing how it's grown in the last 25 years. Another thing to bear in mind is that along with Livermore, it tends to have the most polluted air in the Bay Area. The area is in kind of a basin, surrounded by hills, which tends to trap pollutants, especially with a prevailing westerly wind. Like Steerpike I tend to prefer Walnut Creek (and the western parts of Alamo and Danville). But Pleasanton does have the advantage of a shorter commute to the south bay, plus like WC it's on a BART line to SF.
And its much cheaper the Walnut Creek.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
And its much cheaper the Walnut Creek.
Actually, the median house price - even on a sq ft basis - is considerably higher in Pleasanton.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice

We started off with Pleasanton in mind earlier this year but couldn't find a decent 4 or 5 bed rental property for love nor money! we did look round a few very expensive and very scruffy rentals though.

Ended up in Danville just down the valley which is slightly less expensive but great schools and very pretty, still a huge demand for family rentals though mainly because the schools are all so good.
It is a really great area for families and kids.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budleigh
We started off with Pleasanton in mind earlier this year but couldn't find a decent 4 or 5 bed rental property for love nor money! we did look round a few very expensive and very scruffy rentals though.

Ended up in Danville just down the valley which is slightly less expensive but great schools and very pretty, still a huge demand for family rentals though mainly because the schools are all so good.
It is a really great area for families and kids.
Yeah P-town seems to be short of housing stock for sale or rental, and what is out there still apparently shifts quickly - although sales prices have fallen pretty dramatically in the last couple of years. Don't ask me to explain the logic behind that!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

Pleasanton is a really nice town in what is generally a very nice area. The schools are good, although some of the other towns/burbs along the 680 rank a little better.

Downtown Pleasanton is nice but small. There's usually a small farmers market on Saturdays. It has a number of nice places to eat and there are plenty in the surrounding area anyway.

There are a number of nice parks in the whole tri-valley area.

Weather is generally good, yes it is hotter than the bay area. There are summer days where it's at 113/114 in recent years so there can be some uncomfortable days, but generally it is just nice, warm and sunny. It's a good idea to have access to a pool - plenty of houses, rentals or otherwise have a community pool around here and there are public ones too.

Weather is generally good all year round to be honest - usually Sunny and even in the winter many days are tee-shirt days.

The commute is the downside if you or s.o. is working outside of the immediate area. Plenty of people do it though and put up with it, I guess that's why there is a problem. If you can break it up a little, it's definitely tolerable - this seems to be the key to commuting here because day after day it does wear you down.

Walnut Creek, Danville and so on are also nice but I think for a Santa Clara commute I wouldn't go much further than Pleasanton. Further North would be too much for many.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Dublin, just across the freeway from Pleasanton. Highly recommend the Tri-Valley area. Pleasanton does have a small downtown but it is full of character. Dublin has an awful 70's era strip mall downtown, but newer development is happening on the east side. San Ramon is a newer city, but it too has no real downtown. Livermore is also close by and has recently revitalized its downtown. Livermore also has a nice wine growing region with lots of small vineyards. Can be quite nice for picnics with the kids.

I see no one mentioned the ACE train as a possible commute from Pleasanton to Santa Clara. Saves driving, and puts you on a regimented schedule so you HAVE to leave work at a certain time, otherwise you miss the train.

I used to commute to Sunnyvale - its certainly doable. I now work in San Mateo but get to work from home very often (it helps to have my own private office space in the house). I also travel a lot, so I drive to SFO more than San Mateo these days.

I would highly recommend the Tri-Valley area as a place to live with kids. The weather is great, but it can peak to 113/114 on occasion in summer. You get used to it. And the vast majority of homes have air conditioning. You can always visit the ice rink in Dublin if it gets too hot!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:44 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Pleasanton, Livermore, Dublin and Tracy.
Found it all very artificial and plastic after a while.

Better places to live in America.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkle30
Hi and thank you.

My husband is used to travelling does about 30 min now from a previous of an hr and half.
We are a family of 5 the kids are 12,6 and 4.
I have heard of a toll road/lane being put in from Pleasanton to Santa Clara??

Here's a look at the planned toll;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

Jim.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

funkybubbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies!
Im going to visit Pleasanton next week,looking forward to it
Waiting on visa's now
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:56 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Come to the BE bash on the 14th August in SF
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

funkybubbles is an unknown quantity at this point

I fly back the 13th,but thanks
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by funkybubbles
I fly back the 13th,but thanks
Next time