Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Playing my DV Videos on US TVS

Playing my DV Videos on US TVS

Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Playing my DV Videos on US TVS

Hey everyone, looking for some help!

I have a Canon MV700i video camera. I have tried to use the cables it came with to play what I have recorded on the TV's over here in the US, but I know it won't work because of the PAL-NTSC conversion thing.

Question is, I heard from someone at a Radio Shack that I can buy a "converter" that I will sit inbetween my video camera and the TV to convert the signal, yet I haven't been able to find one.

Anyone heard of this? Anyone any ideas?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing my DV Videos on US TVS

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hey everyone, looking for some help!

I have a Canon MV700i video camera. I have tried to use the cables it came with to play what I have recorded on the TV's over here in the US, but I know it won't work because of the PAL-NTSC conversion thing.

Question is, I heard from someone at a Radio Shack that I can buy a "converter" that I will sit inbetween my video camera and the TV to convert the signal, yet I haven't been able to find one.

Anyone heard of this? Anyone any ideas?
Maybe the manufacturer for your video camera has suggestions. Try looking at their website and if there's nothing there that can help, try contacting Canon directly.

You could also do a websearch for sites that have techie forums for video cameras. There might be a thread asking the same with the answers.

Just my 5 cents.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Maybe the manufacturer for your video camera has suggestions. Try looking at their website and if there's nothing there that can help, try contacting Canon directly.

You could also do a websearch for sites that have techie forums for video cameras. There might be a thread asking the same with the answers.

Just my 5 cents.
Thanks for your reply.

I did look all around Canons website, but no luck. I am now emailing them directly.

I will also try the web search. Just wanted to know if anyone on here had some experience of this!

Thanks again.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try one of the tenlab converters: http://www.tenlab.com

They're pretty pricey, but supposed to be good. I've never personally tried one of these converters so couldn't comment on the picture quality.

Alternatively you could purchase a multi standard tv - I've just bought one of these: http://www.i-glassesstore.com/lcd-tv-30.html - it should be delivered in a couple of weeks so I can tell you whether it's worth the money or not then!!

HTH
Josie

Last edited by Cygnus; Aug 24th 2004 at 8:39 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cygnus
You could try one of the tenlab converters: http://www.tenlab.com

They're pretty pricey, but supposed to be good. I've never personally tried one of these converters so couldn't comment on the picture quality.

Alternatively you could purchase a multi standard tv - I've just bought one of these: http://www.i-glassesstore.com/lcd-tv-30.html - it should be delivered in a couple of weeks so I can tell you whether it's worth the money or not then!!

HTH
Josie
Thanks Josie! Great answer.

I have email tenlab because I couldnt see any prices on their website.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Thanks Josie! Great answer.

I have email tenlab because I couldnt see any prices on their website.

Thanks again!
You are very welcome Just glad to help out!

To get an idea on prices, you might take a look at this site: http://www.mindlogic.com/CONV_TNLB.shtml

Obviously it's possible that the manufacturers themselves might have some better deals and discounts.

Good luck!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

You get very much what you pay for when it comes to standards converters. It's not so much the NTSC/PAL color system conversion which is the problem, but the scanning conversion which has to take place as well (625/50 vs. 525/60).

Rather than go with a cheap low-quality unit, IMHO you'd be far better off searching eBay for a good second-hand ex-studio converter. Check out the professional video section.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:41 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

What about using it on the PC? Do you have a USB or S/Video connector on the camera?

I use my PC to capture video and then use software to convert the movies to NTSC. Then I burn VCDs which I can watch on the DVD player.