Reload this Page >

Played cricket....was sweet

Played cricket....was sweet

Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

cwooloff is on a distinguished road
Default Played cricket....was sweet

Just wanted to share my joy with y'all.

Been here a year and things are going pretty well but miss playing sport...hooked up with a cricket club in pittsburgh last and was great to be around the sport i have played all my life again.

Note to people missing blighty....yes, america is not britain but if you work hard and be creative, you can carve out a great life here....i mean come on cricket in america....!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Played cricket....was sweet

Yeah, cricket is pretty random, but I've found a Brit club in Boston who do pick up games, they play mostly against college teams in the area and some companies who have a large Brit population, I think such as BAE.

$5 or something per game, unless you have your own gear.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Pittsburgh has a pretty organised system which is affiliated with the american cricket association - they have about 15 teams - was pretty amazed to be honest.

Now all i have to do is find a kebab shop (no, a gyro is not the same thing) and my life will be sweet as a nut....
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwooloff
Now all i have to do is find a kebab shop (no, a gyro is not the same thing) and my life will be sweet as a nut....
A gyro ain't the same, but they're still pretty good if you get a decent place doing them...randomly enough, best I found was from a greek church making them at a summer fair in Maine
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

I used to play in my younger days in Randall's Island. Gosh there are more cricket teams in NYC than there are baseball teams in London
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:22 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

i mean come on cricket in america....!
I can not play sports well enough to look for a club, but I bought a bat and wickets, and at family get togethers we all play, I have done a good job of converting the family over to cricket. They all assumed it would be boring, but all enjoy playing now. We get a few others joining in at parks, most of the kids play it like its baseball, swinging the bat in the air, never defending, but its fun.

Now all i have to do is find a kebab shop (no, a gyro is not the same thing)
You just need to find a proper Turkish gyro, then it is a kebab. Its funny the Koreans run Japanese restaurants and the Arabs and Turks have Greek Gyro shops.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

I glad to hear that there are a large number of expats trying to educate the American masses of the joys of cricket -trying to explain the game without a pen, paper and about three hours is very difficult. I need to find that tea towel my mum had about explaining the rules of cricket to a foreign visitor

You have two side one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in, and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs, that's the end of the game.

HOWZAT !

Easy as that huh!

With regards the kebab, I should have explained myself properly - indeed a gyro is almost exactly the same (except the addition of the cucumber sauce and lack of chili sauce) however, it is sadly devoid of grease and was not made by a chap named carlos in van at the side of the ride at two in the morning after a shed load of stella artois.....agree with bob though, one of the best gyros i have had here was at a greek church festival. There is also an stunning little place on East Carson street in pittsburgh just down from primantis, mike and tonys i think....wipes the floor with primantis if you ask me.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:45 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Once we've lived here a few years (4 I think) we can probably all play for the national team given the standard
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Once we've lived here a few years (4 I think) we can probably all play for the national team given the standard
I am in....i call captain.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:36 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket bat came in handy this weekend.

Seattle had a crack at the zombie walk world record. Our family went along. It was just a white shirt red tie and a dab of red ink on the pocket when I realised that the cricket bat and some make up, would make me a zombie Shaun.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:04 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Totally late commenting on this, but I've been loving watching the cricket online.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:15 pm
Brit+ American couple :)

Tindsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Any squash in Pittsburgh?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tindsay
Any squash in Pittsburgh?
Spaghetti or butternut?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Cricket bat came in handy this weekend.

Seattle had a crack at the zombie walk world record. Our family went along. It was just a white shirt red tie and a dab of red ink on the pocket when I realised that the cricket bat and some make up, would make me a zombie Shaun.
Very good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.