Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Originally Posted by GeoffM
That reminds me: I've been trying to find a multi-region DVD player and can't. I've only looked in Walmart, Target, and Best Buy - not online yet. If they are multi-region then they don't advertise it on the boxes! We don't have many DVDs but DS has a box set of about 20 Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs (the classic series) that he likes. Would be nice to get them working again. In hindsight I should have ripped them but too late now.

This one for $50 does region free blu-ray and dvd if you install an older firmware file. There's also a version for $10 less that does the same thing (just search Insignia blu-ray at Best buy). I'm hesitating on it as the reviews are mixed and the only ones you can find seem to be refurbs, which doesn't bode well. There's a thread about it here and links to the firmware and instructions.

Last edited by Dazey; Aug 23rd 2012 at 3:50 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helwardman
Stepping up or stepping down the voltage makes no difference to the amount of heat the transformer produces. It is a function of core efficiency and power drawn.

A buzzing transformer is usually related to how the core has been manufactured. A good quality laminated core will be given a thick coat of lacquer during manufacture. Stingy manufacturers use less lacquer. If the laminations are not sufficiently well lacquered then they can vibrate at mains frequency which is, of course, audible (50 or 60Hz dependent on location). The mounting arrangement can also be a contributing factor.
Our transformers are by PowerBright -- is that a good brand? Can you recommend something better? These have worked perfectly fine for years -- but never had to use them with a plasma tv before. We'll toss the tv if we have to, but if there's a fix for this buzzing problem I'd rather keep it.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

That reminds me: I've been trying to find a multi-region DVD player and can't. I've only looked in Walmart, Target, and Best Buy - not online yet. If they are multi-region then they don't advertise it on the boxes! We don't have many DVDs but DS has a box set of about 20 Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs (the classic series) that he likes. Would be nice to get them working again. In hindsight I should have ripped them but too late now.
I have a couple of Phillips dvd players that are region free.

Another neat way is to buy a cheap external dvd for the computer and only play British DVD's in it, it programs the firmware by the dvd's played in it.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-W...zon+basics+dvd

I can now watch my british dvd's on the PC, which means I can also watch them on the tv, if the more expensive phillips dvd players belly up.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what the two before you seem to suggest! But thanks.
Nearly everything can be hacked to be regionless, except a bunch of Sony players. Nearly all of them won't be sold as regionless players in the big stores though.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nearly everything can be hacked to be regionless, except a bunch of Sony players. Nearly all of them won't be sold as regionless players in the big stores though.
Is that some sort of gentleman's agreement between the manufacturers and the studios? Or even a law? The one and only time before I bought one was in Richer Sounds and it was actually advertised as multiregion. Different country, different stores and all that. Ironically I don't think we ever used non local region discs in it!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is that some sort of gentleman's agreement between the manufacturers and the studios? Or even a law? The one and only time before I bought one was in Richer Sounds and it was actually advertised as multiregion. Different country, different stores and all that. Ironically I don't think we ever used non local region discs in it!
Digital Millennium jobby about circumventing copy protection being illegal and then the studio pressure to keep regions strong in the US. It's a bigger thing here that it is in other countries, which is why you don't openly see players regionless in the big box shops, though you do see a few online advertised as, but they'd just flash the firmware or do the remote control hack that you can find from that site linked a few posts back
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

http://www.nine220volts.com/

We got a lot of our transformers from this place and are using them all the time. Have other appliances as well.

BTW, those of you who have transformers on the wooden floor or even on the carpet - go get couple of bigger tiles from Home Depot and put them on that.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seawaternow
http://www.nine220volts.com/

We got a lot of our transformers from this place and are using them all the time. Have other appliances as well.

BTW, those of you who have transformers on the wooden floor or even on the carpet - go get couple of bigger tiles from Home Depot and put them on that.

Have you used these on anything along the lines of a plasma tv? Did they buzz or hum a lot? And what was the wattage of the transformer and of the tv? Thanks!