Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
They are mainly for my desktop pc (I tend to use my laptop rather than the PC for any long periods of work).
As others mentioned, double check the desktop. I'd be shocked if it wasn't dual voltage. Most have been made that way for at least the last five years or so, even longer. Then it's just a $2 cord at Walmart and you will be good to go.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I thought it was fairly recent since I had just read something about it. My mom's friend was actually able to return a washing machine that she had gotten at Costco over 5 years later and got a full refund!
Returning a washing machine after 5 years goes to show you can't beat Costco's returns policy and after sales service.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 27th 2011 at 3:33 am.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:25 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Returning a washing machine after 5 years goes to show you can't beat Costco's returns policy and after sales service.
I agree . I was so shocked when I heard that!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the transformers on Amazon.
Out of interest, since I have no plans to take any of my electricals except laptop, does an external transformer with a TV/whatever consume much more powerr? I imagine there's a fair bit of waste if a lot of heat is generated.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Out of interest, since I have no plans to take any of my electricals except laptop, does an external transformer with a TV/whatever consume much more powerr? I imagine there's a fair bit of waste if a lot of heat is generated.
I have no idea but as ours are only used occasionally they don't heat up significantly.

Thanks to those you mentioned dual power on the PC, I think we have my PC plugged in to the transformer because we also have a printer, shredder etc also plugged in to the same transformer and it was easy just to plug the pc in too, but will ask DH about the pc itself :-)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I agree . I was so shocked when I heard that!
My husband was chatting to a guy who bought a gallon of milk...as he was driving home it tipped over and leaked in his car. He complained to Costco, they came to the conclusion the top was faulty and paid $1200 to have the car cleaned inside.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:51 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband was chatting to a guy who bought a gallon of milk...as he was driving home it tipped over and leaked in his car. He complained to Costco, they came to the conclusion the top was faulty and paid $1200 to have the car cleaned inside.
That is unbelievable!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to those you mentioned dual power on the PC, I think we have my PC plugged in to the transformer because we also have a printer, shredder etc also plugged in to the same transformer and it was easy just to plug the pc in too, but will ask DH about the pc itself :-)
Shredder only costs $10 though and printer, that's probably duel voltage as well, and in need of a new power cable too
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jabs1888uk
for 50 inch, 40 inch 37 inch, not sure the power consumption of each?
I know this thread is a bit dated, but how has this worked out for you? I think I made a mistake not selling some of my items that we just brought to the States from the UK. Like the 50" Plasma tv -- it works fine, despite what many people on boards said who stated the tv wouldn't work at all. Hooked up via hdmi to a cable box, all is well, picture and sound are great as ever. BUT the damn transformer makes an awful noise. None of the transformers (including this same one) that we used in the UK with our American goods made that noise. We also have a small UK drinks fridge hooked up to another transformer and it works fine, no noise -- but all the people who fear using transformers at all as a fire risk have started to scare me even though we used them in the UK for five years with no problems.

I guess I want to know if you use the TV, and does the transformer make a lot of noise? If not, what model and wattage transformer have you got?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

jabs1888uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dazey
I know this thread is a bit dated, but how has this worked out for you? I think I made a mistake not selling some of my items that we just brought to the States from the UK. Like the 50" Plasma tv -- it works fine, despite what many people on boards said who stated the tv wouldn't work at all. Hooked up via hdmi to a cable box, all is well, picture and sound are great as ever. BUT the damn transformer makes an awful noise. None of the transformers (including this same one) that we used in the UK with our American goods made that noise. We also have a small UK drinks fridge hooked up to another transformer and it works fine, no noise -- but all the people who fear using transformers at all as a fire risk have started to scare me even though we used them in the UK for five years with no problems.

I guess I want to know if you use the TV, and does the transformer make a lot of noise? If not, what model and wattage transformer have you got?
To be honest the transformers are very noisy, I have a 1500w and a 2000w Diamond Series and they both run the tvs fine, hdmi to directv boxes and they are perfect, but buzzing. One much louder than the other as well. I put some heavy books on one and it stifled the noise. I always switch them off after use as well as the fire stories scare me. Seems to be only loud when there is a white screen or background on tv as well, don't know if you noticed that?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice

i bought a powerbright 2000w step up/down transformer over on amazon for under $80 couple of months back, and with using it for the laptop you can hear it, although its a soft hum.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest the transformers are very noisy, I have a 1500w and a 2000w Diamond Series and they both run the tvs fine, hdmi to directv boxes and they are perfect, but buzzing. One much louder than the other as well. I put some heavy books on one and it stifled the noise. I always switch them off after use as well as the fire stories scare me. Seems to be only loud when there is a white screen or background on tv as well, don't know if you noticed that?
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it matters what the background is like on our screen; the hum just seems to go in and out. I'll try the books idea, but I won't get my hopes up. It seems I've not made enough good decisions this move and nothing is going right. I'm not too bothered about the tv really, but it's one more thing going wrong and will be another problem to deal with to get rid of it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazey
...but all the people who fear using transformers at all as a fire risk have started to scare me even though we used them in the UK for five years with no problems.
Lot easier knocking the voltage up than it is to knock it down...
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

...I put some heavy books on one and it stifled the noise....
Nothing like stifling the air flow to cool it down with a nice combustible source such as a paper book :/
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

jabs1888uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Nothing like stifling the air flow to cool it down with a nice combustible source such as a paper book :/
Im not that dumb nothing stifling any flow, just damps the vibration on a solid wooden floor thats all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.