Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plants and Planks - lost in translation

Plants and Planks - lost in translation

Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:07 am
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about
Default Plants and Planks - lost in translation

I remember my first trip to the diy shop (aka hardware store) was a disaster. I asked for some batteries for my torch .... it took me a complete description of a "torch" before the assistant kindly informed me I wanted some "batteries" (emphasis on the ER) for my "flashlight".

My inquiry about plasterboard was equally useless ... I might as well have been speaking a foreign language.

The garden center was even more perplexing - a simple Clematis no longer had a soft A but a short hard ah as in Clem-ah-tis. (And no-one has any idea what a Latin name is for a plant).

As I travelled around the US I began to realize that what I understood to be "American" was, in some cases, just a Boston dialect because I'd ask for something in my best "American" and get a puzzled look ... only to be advised by the clerk, looking at me with a pitying smile, that the correct pronunciation was the exact one I had given up in order to be understood in Boston! (Route is a perfect example - pronounced rout (as in out) up here and route almost everywhere else!)

What anecdotes do you have relating to getting lost in translation or in getting to grips with the language of our lost colony?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:54 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plants and Planks - lost in translation

Originally Posted by Nigel
I remember my first trip to the diy shop (aka hardware store) was a disaster. I asked for some batteries for my torch .... it took me a complete description of a "torch" before the assistant kindly informed me I wanted some "batteries" (emphasis on the ER) for my "flashlight".

My inquiry about plasterboard was equally useless ... I might as well have been speaking a foreign language.

The garden center was even more perplexing - a simple Clematis no longer had a soft A but a short hard ah as in Clem-ah-tis. (And no-one has any idea what a Latin name is for a plant).

As I travelled around the US I began to realize that what I understood to be "American" was, in some cases, just a Boston dialect because I'd ask for something in my best "American" and get a puzzled look ... only to be advised by the clerk, looking at me with a pitying smile, that the correct pronunciation was the exact one I had given up in order to be understood in Boston! (Route is a perfect example - pronounced rout (as in out) up here and route almost everywhere else!)

What anecdotes do you have relating to getting lost in translation or in getting to grips with the language of our lost colony?

I grew up (in New England) saying root for route, however when I moved to the Midwest, everyone said rout for route. Also I say wash, they'd say warsh. My pronunciation of roof as is spelled with two os is more like rough as pronunced in Ohio.
It's not always accurate to generalize our pronunciations as all American-it's regional. I suspect there is some of that in the UK?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was talking about how lovely the leelacks were in her new garden. When I went to her new house I realised she was talking about lilac trees.

A couple of years ago I went to Walmart to get my daughter the old Tarzan DVD. I couldn't find it so I asked an assistant did they have it. She spent ages and ages looking through all the DVDs and kept mumbling to herself. In the end she said she had never heard of it and would ask her supervisor. The supervisor was Mexican and as soon as I asked for Tarzan she apologised and said they were out of stock. The assistant then started laughing and admitted she didn't have a clue which DVD I had asked for and told me it was pronounced TaRRR...zan.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:40 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
My friend was talking about how lovely the leelacks were in her new garden. When I went to her new house I realised she was talking about lilac trees.

A couple of years ago I went to Walmart to get my daughter the old Tarzan DVD. I couldn't find it so I asked an assistant did they have it. She spent ages and ages looking through all the DVDs and kept mumbling to herself. In the end she said she had never heard of it and would ask her supervisor. The supervisor was Mexican and as soon as I asked for Tarzan she apologised and said they were out of stock. The assistant then started laughing and admitted she didn't have a clue which DVD I had asked for and told me it was pronounced TaRRR...zan.

I get ribbing from my husband over the lilac thing- I say lielack.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

Route is a perfect example - pronounced rout (as in out) up here and route almost everywhere else!)

In Ohio they say Rout, same in WV. Everything I near Rout it reminds me of Tile Grout... (And thats only because the words rhyme!)
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Plants and Planks - lost in translation

We have a satellite navigation system in our car and you can choose to have a male voice or a female voice to give the directions.

The male pronounces route as in 'route' (which is the BBC pronounciation).

The female says it as 'rout' (and she sounds bossy as well). It makes me cringe.

BTW: the navigation system is brilliant....no way will my husband stop and ask someone for directions if he's lost and if I'm in the car makes me do it. We no longer have this problem.....although the system doesn't seem to recognise short cuts and always tries to take us on some convoluted route if we're on our way home.

PS> I can normally guess if someone is Canadian or not when they say the word 'about'. It sounds like 'a boot'. I think it is charming, but then again I do like Canadians.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 21st 2005 at 12:04 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:28 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We have a satellite navigation system in our car and you can choose to have a male voice or a female voice to give the directions.

The male pronounces route as in 'route' (which is the BBC pronounciation).

The female says it as 'rout' (and she sounds bossy as well). It makes me cringe.

BTW: the navigation system is brilliant....no way will my husband stop and ask someone for directions if he's lost and if I'm in the car makes me do it. We no longer have this problem.....although the system doesn't seem to recognise short cuts and always tries to take us on some convoluted route if we're on our way home.

PS> I can normally guess if someone is Canadian or not when they say the word 'about'. It sounds like 'a boot'. I think it is charming, but then again I do like Canadians.

Tidal Virginians have a similar-Canadian sounding pronounciation on some words.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Tidal Virginians
They wash up on the beach?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You get some right crackers up in the northern counties...it's a whole new language I swear... it's like an art form in dragging out some of the words...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:06 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Bob
You get some right crackers up in the northern counties...it's a whole new language I swear... it's like an art form in dragging out some of the words...
Ayuh,
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:09 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They wash up on the beach?

Depends on what kind of hurricane season they're having actually.

It should've read Tidewater-apologies to my Virginia friends.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:10 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

My first attempt at buying Polyfilla was a laugh!!!!!!

'You know the white stuff you plug up holes with'

'Spackle....never heard of it'

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:57 am
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
'You know the white stuff you plug up holes with'
I hope you were in a DIY store!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:03 am
Make every day count!

the navigation system is brilliant....no way will my husband stop and ask someone for directions if he's lost and if I'm in the car makes me do it. We no longer have this problem.....although the system doesn't seem to recognise short cuts and always tries to take us on some convoluted route if we're on our way home.
We have one in each car (Magellan NavMan ... excellent ... we call her "Maggie"). Peculiar in that she says "take the second exit at the roundabout in two miles" in a perfect American accent and nobody here calls them roundabouts .... somehow they became rotaries.
They also add an "eh" onto every sentence eh! (I love our Northern cousins too).
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:06 am
Make every day count!

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what you get from spending too much time with Moose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.