Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

plan on marrying in U.S. but not living here?

plan on marrying in U.S. but not living here?

Old Jul 24th 2002, 6:23 am
Just Joined

indiesol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default plan on marrying in U.S. but not living here?

does anyone know if my fiance and i get married in the U.S., with no visa, and he goes back to the U.K., will there be any problems? we are planning on living in the U.K.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 2:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plan on marrying in U.S. but not living here?

indiesol,

There will be a lot of problems, married life is full of them. But then, so is single life.

What kind of problems are you concerned about?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by indiesol
does anyone know if my fiance and i get married in the U.S., with no visa, and he goes back to the U.K., will there be any problems? we are planning on living in the U.K.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

indiesol is an unknown quantity at this point

i guess i should have been a little more specific. will there be any problems with obtaining a marriage visa from the U.K.? will it take longer if we get married here? will there be any problems with immigration? thanks for your reply
Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mrtravel

jeffreyhy wrote:
    >
    > indiesol wrote:
    > > does anyone know if my fiance and i get married in the U.S., with no visa, and
    > > he goes back to the U.K., will there be any problems? we are planning on living
    > > in the U.K.
    >
    > indiesol,
    >
    > There will be a lot of problems, married life is full of them. But then, so is
    > single life.

LOL..

To the OP.. There is a potential problem. Many INS agents, if they find out someone
is coming here to get married, might assume the person is not going to leave. If they
don't ask, don't tell. If they ask, give an honest answer and be prepared to prove
you have reason to return to the UK. (Show them your United tickets.... No, not your
plane tickets, your Manchester United tickets..... Britons care more about football
than they do about a return plane ticket)

Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:20 pm
L D Jones

indiesol wrote:
    >
    > i guess i should have been a little more specific. will there be any problems with
    > obtaining a marriage visa from the U.K.? will it take longer if we get married
    > here? will there be any problems with immigration? thanks for your reply

Your fiancee does not need any visa to simply travel to the US, marry and then leave
if he does not intend to settle in the US. This can be done under Visa Waiver and is
not illegal in any way as I understand it.

Old Jul 25th 2002, 2:20 am
Squire

In article <[email protected]>, indiesol
<[email protected]> writes
    >i guess i should have been a little more specific. will there be any problems with
    >obtaining a marriage visa from the U.K.? will it take longer if we get married here?
    >will there be any problems with immigration? thanks for your reply

http://mysite.freeserve.com/UKimmigration/

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Jan 5th 2003, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

davewilliams will become famous soon enoughdavewilliams will become famous soon enough

[If they ask, give an honest answer and be prepared to prove
you have reason to return to the UK. (Show them your United tickets.... No, not your
plane tickets, your Manchester United tickets.....
And anyway, a United Airlines ticket is hardly a guarantee of flying back whether you want to or not, is it ;-)

Dave
Old Jan 5th 2003, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by L D Jones
indiesol wrote:
    >
    > i guess i should have been a little more specific. will there be any problems with
    > obtaining a marriage visa from the U.K.? will it take longer if we get married
    > here? will there be any problems with immigration? thanks for your reply

Your fiancee does not need any visa to simply travel to the US, marry and then leave if he does not intend to settle in the US. This can be done under Visa Waiver and is not illegal in any way as I understand it.
This is exactly what I did three years ago when I was living in the UK and my (then) finacée was living in the US. I contacted the US embassy in London, and not only do you not need a visa, there is no visa you can get for this purpose. This leaves you having to prove to the INS officer at the airport that you are commited to returning to the UK. I suggest that, apart from a current mortgage statement/ rent book, you take a letter from your employer confirming your on-going employment.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 4:46 pm
Married To An American

nicola phillips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello..

Can someone tell me .. if I were to exactly the same thing... (go to the USA and marry my fiance) if they ask me what the purpose of my visit is ... is proof that I have three children in the UK enough??? and apart from birth certificates is there anything else anyone can think of?

I just want to make sure I have this right...

If I went to the states on my pass port with a return ticket for three weeks..I dont need a fiance visa or anything like that right?

See we were going to get the fiance visa my fiance to come here and marry but hes not going to be able to work till we get married and got his FLR.

So then we get married in the states.. and he applies for his spousal visa right?

Hes not working right now and Im here with three kids and on all benefits.. although I am trying to find something that fits around the children. So were going to need a sponsor for the fiance visa.. we will need a sponsor for the spousal visa too right?

I would appreciate any advice

Nicky
Old Jan 16th 2003, 5:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
You might like to look at this website of the British Embassy in Washington DC. There is a section on visas, and if you can't find what you're looking for, then there is no harm in your fiance phoning the Embassy for more information, particuarly since you are making a genuine enquiry and not attempting to do anything illegal.

Bear in mind though that if you do phone, their office hours are very limited!

http://www.britain-info.org

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Can u mention flying and man u in the same breath this time of year without a certain irony ?? lol
Old Jan 18th 2003, 3:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum
You might like to look at this website of the British Embassy in Washington DC. ....
She's British looking to marry in the US, so the British embassy in 'DC won't help at all. She needs the US embassy in London, but I covered that already - there is no visa, I asked the US embassy myself, and quoted their reply above.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 3:56 am

Originally posted by nicola phillips
Hello..

Can someone tell me .. if I were to exactly the same thing... (go to the USA and marry my fiance) if they ask me what the purpose of my visit is ... is proof that I have three children in the UK enough??? and apart from birth certificates is there anything else anyone can think of?
Take your current rent book, and maybe you could ask your children's school school to write a letter confirming that your children are still in school in the UK and that you are expected back, or perhaps your GP?

Also avoid mentioning that you are going to get married if at all possible, or that you are going to "stay with/visit a friend" as this may lead to a "difficult" line of questioning. And only produce your "evidence" if it becomes necessary, you'll dig yourself into a hole if you start volunteering information.

I just want to make sure I have this right...

If I went to the states on my passport with a return ticket for three weeks..I dont need a fiance visa or anything like that right?
Correct

..... So then we get married in the states.. and he applies for his spousal visa right?

Correct, .... and it only takes a couple of days, unlike the US that takes upto six months for British citizens wanting a visa to live in the US.