Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Places to take kids around Boston

Places to take kids around Boston

Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:02 am
Just Joined

philbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nice
Default Places to take kids around Boston

Been in Boston a few weeks now and feel like we are getting on top of things. Going quite smoothly and have got most of the banking, cars, accomadation, EAD, insurance and SSN sorted out. Have even managed a days fishing so quite happy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go and things to do with an active toddler, the weather seems to be getting nicer and I'm not working until September so two days a week I am daddy-day-care. I have been to a few nice parks and playgrounds (Skyline in Brookline and Robbins Farm). There are a few playgrounds local to us in Newton Highlands which are good and Auburndale Park on the river is nice too. There are a couple of indoor play-gym places near us but not that cheap. I have used the BostonCentral website and found Castle Island on there which was great for an afternoon, going back with kites next week. Also plan to go to the Carpon Zoo/Park at some point. Are there any hidden gems around that are free or cheap-ish, happy to drive a few miles away from the city. Got parents over for a visit soon so looking for a few nice family days out that are toddler-friendly.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to take kids around Boston

For downtown Boston...the Aquarium is awesome, but get the library museum pass first, save a fortune!

The childrens' discovery museum is also awesome, but again, get the pass other wise it is expensive and don't go on the weekend or you'll never get a chance to do anything.

If you don't mind a bit of a road trip, the Acton children's discovery museum is just as good, much quieter and cheaper, especially with a library pass.

And while heading out, the Natick mall does a free kids event every Tuesday, 10 am for 30-45 minutes, puppet show, magic show, dance class.

Plenty of zoo's worth checking out too.

http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/s...l/default.html Scooper Bowl, 7-9 June, it's awesome a few bucks entrance and then all the ice cream samples till you're sick of the stuff, pretty much anyone and everyone who makes ice cream will be there!

If your toddler is pretty mobile and you aren't far if your in Newton/Needham as it's up Rt9.... Garden in the Woods, Framingham. http://www.newenglandwild.org/ Best collection of wild flowers in the state, also loads of cool sculptures, butterflies and water stuff. Library pass available for this as well!

http://www.audubon.org/ Audubon Society, for new members, family membership before June is $29 for the year, open year round, and there are about 5 or 6 different sites in Boston, river trails, wood hikes, all kinds. Also the main headquarters are in Lincoln where they have a farm and that's a lot of fun! The pig just gave birth yesterday and they have loads of baby lambs and goats. Membership is worth it as household can go as often as they like for free to any of the sites, other wise it's around $6 a adult, $4 for kids.

Check out the Metro West Daily, it'll have loads of stuff for you to do in and around the area, also Boston Parents magazine, there are few of these type of mags, all free, at the library or where ever and they list places to go, see and do.

One thing not to do, Belkin Farm, it's lovely, but they hose you for costs, there are soooo many other nice farms where the kids and pet the animals and much cheaper fruit pickings than this place.

Edit- to add the more traditional things, the Duck Tour, that's a cute walk in down town, and also Boston Common, you've got the Duck Pond, don't know when the splashing pool opens up, but that's a lovely afternoon bit of fun for kids if you're in town and Hay Market is a couple mins walk around the corner to pick up cheap, awesome cheese, bread and fruit if you wanted a ploughmans picknick lunch on the common.

Last edited by Bob; Apr 30th 2011 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 1st 2011, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

The Swan Boats in Boston Public Gardens are a lot of fun. And the Tea Party Ship, very touristy and not the real ship, but the re-enactment is amusing. They call out 'Are there any British here?' and when you put your hand up, the Americans boo. Lol.
Old May 1st 2011, 3:09 am
Just Joined

philbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nice

Excellent replies, many thanks.

Bob - The Drumlin Farm/Audubon link looks like a good one for a day trip and I've put the scooper bowl in the diary. I was going to take the parents to Boston Common and for a wander around downtown when they are over, might save the expensive aquarium for when my little one is a bit older. Kids museum looks good, I will look into the library pass as I am going fo a library card this week. I'll have a look for the magazines you mention.

One thing I havent found is a public indoor swimming pool. Seem to be a lot of outdoor summer pools and lakes but the inddor pools seem to be in private gyms or college sports centres. Are public swimming pools a british thing? Maybe we were spoiled for choice around Oxon and Bucks.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philbrown901
Excellent replies, many thanks.

Bob - The Drumlin Farm/Audubon link looks like a good one for a day trip and I've put the scooper bowl in the diary. I was going to take the parents to Boston Common and for a wander around downtown when they are over, might save the expensive aquarium for when my little one is a bit older. Kids museum looks good, I will look into the library pass as I am going fo a library card this week. I'll have a look for the magazines you mention.

One thing I havent found is a public indoor swimming pool. Seem to be a lot of outdoor summer pools and lakes but the inddor pools seem to be in private gyms or college sports centres. Are public swimming pools a british thing? Maybe we were spoiled for choice around Oxon and Bucks.
Aye, the aquarium is a bit pricey, but during the week, with a library pass it's about a fiver a adult rather than $20....and I think the zoo is free, but the library passes become your friend, they're awesome money savers! Oh, bring a recent bill or some mail with your name/address on as well as ID to get a library card.

Drumlin Farm is a good half day event, though from mid May, all the trails open up, at the moment, it's the animals, deer pen and a couple of the trails that are open. Lot of fun though and nice place to have a picnic. It's down the road from Concord, so you should take the folks there for a wonder, it's a lovely town, some fantastic little shops.

Also, and for a nice day, the Minute Man Trails, Concord to Lexington, it's only a few mile walk if you do the whole thing, but even if you don't, it's a lovely little walk, nice views and Lexington is also a really nice town. Great if you're into history as all the hot spots are marked with info, who fired the shots, ambushes, Paul Revere being captured etc.

Swimming pool, YMCA, cheapest place, a fiver a go usually or get membership. Town's often have a pool too, I know that Natick/Wayland town joined up with KeefTech in Framingham to use their school pool for town residents when the beaches are closed and I think Needham has something similar. You can probably find the info on the town recreation website...good town badminton club for residents too.
Old May 1st 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a drive outside the city, but I've been to Spring Brook Park in Bedford, MA.

Very kid friendly with an outdoor "lake" with sand to make it like a beach. It's manmade and is very shallow. I let my 3-year old just go out into it and simply keep an eye on him. It's shallower than his bath A load of lifeguards on hand too.

During the week, it's $7 each but a max of $25 for a family. So not too bad.

If you go after 4:30, those prices about half. Nice on a really warm sunny afternoon.

http://www.bedfordma.gov/index.php/d...eation-part-ii

Last edited by hobbes79; May 1st 2011 at 1:35 pm.
Old May 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Bit of a drive outside the city, but I've been to Spring Brook Park in Bedford, MA.

Very kid friendly with an outdoor "lake" with sand to make it like a beach. It's manmade and is very shallow. I let my 3-year old just go out into it and simply keep an eye on him. It's shallower than his bath A load of lifeguards on hand too.

During the week, it's $7 each but a max of $25 for a family. So not too bad.

If you go after 4:30, those prices about half. Nice on a really warm sunny afternoon.

http://www.bedfordma.gov/index.php/d...eation-part-ii
That's pretty cool! Driven through Bedford a few times and never knew about this place

Gore Place, the old Gov's house in Waltham is also worth a trip as it is free and there is loads of grounds to run around and they have the odd show that sometimes cost a few bucks. They just had a sheep shearing festival event yesterday.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Mungo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

These guys are pretty helpful...

http://www.pondjumpersusa.com/kids.html
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goby/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Just saw that app by Groby, to find things to do in and around Boston and you can filter by family activities
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Harbor Islands?
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Okay, maybe not the most toddler friendly thing as it's a short drive, but only suggesting as you're from Oxford, but Oxford Utd are having a pre-season friendly against a local Boston side up in New Hampshire this July.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144394875630714

There's a few matches, but the middle one is Mass Utd.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

Down on the South shore there is the Blue Hills Trailside Museum about 25 min drive from Boston down the expressway Reasonable prices Also Easton has a very good childrens museum suitable for ages probably below 10 Easton also has the sheep pasture and excellent parks Borderland Easton is a bit further south maybe 30-35 mins drive o/s rush hours
Old May 4th 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter525839
Down on the South shore there is the Blue Hills Trailside Museum about 25 min drive from Boston down the expressway Reasonable prices
I fished Houghton's Pond down that way and the area looked like it would be nice in the summer. Nice beach and loads of parking.

Goby app was a bit clunky over 3G so I'll try again later on wifi.

Bob - I went to a few U's matches at the cold and windy Kassam, not sure I'll follow them on their summer tour. Still a few cheap behind the goal tickets left for the Revolution v ManU match around the same time, might go to that.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by philbrown901

Bob - I went to a few U's matches at the cold and windy Kassam, not sure I'll follow them on their summer tour. Still a few cheap behind the goal tickets left for the Revolution v ManU match around the same time, might go to that.
I'm only going for a day trip to see the Mass game because the manager is a mate and he's spotting me a couple tickets

The Rev's aren't to bad, and cheap, so that's probably worth a visit...they're a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the other teams...but Pawsox in RI are good for baseball and also the Seadogs in Portland, ME....but Fenway is a great family event, behind the scoreboard tickets a mile away are fairly cheap and if it's against a meh team, might be able to scoot around to better seats a couple innings in.

The Patriots, those tickets are mental as well, but tail gate party is fun and the mall is pretty decent if you've got guest who want to come do a bit of shopping...but the best shopping is the Wrentham Outlet malls, about 45 southwest of you, fab bargains for pretty much everything
Old May 4th 2011, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Yep, sports tickets for the Boston teams seem to go from pretty to crazy expensive. Got a couple of Red Sox tickets for next week and taking my Dad to share the experience. Will probably take my nephew to a Celtic or Revs game in autumn when he visits, he's 12 and sports mad. Watching games on TV it seems like Boston teams can fill their stadiums/parks every game but other cities have tons of empty seats.

The Mall and Gillette stadium combo could be a winner for when family are over later in the year, good call. I was down that way at Bass Pro Shop and my toddler enjoyed the indoor ponds, fake animals and playing in the camping stuff, like a shop come free zoo/park.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.